Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jul 19, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #961 of 1,450
Out of curiosity, have you had an opportunity to listen to both the W4 and W4 EX?
No, I haven't, it's not like you can walk in the store in California and audition them. W4 is the flagship, has better spec, doesn't cost that much more than step down W4EX version.
If I can afford flagship why would I go for something inherently inferior. You can argue that they are "almost" the same, but if they were L&P wouldn't position it like that in their lineup, same story as with W2 and W1.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #962 of 1,450
I'd like to see a fw update that allows the user to completely defeat the W4's volume control. There'd be 3 options in HID KEY: on, off, and volume control defeated.

I use my W4 with my phone, storing both in my front pocket and use my watch to control volume and play/pause. Since the volume control is always on, inadvertent movements can cause unwanted volume changes.

Is it just me? Anyone else like to see this feature added??

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #965 of 1,450
I'd like to see a fw update that allows the user to completely defeat the W4's volume control. There'd be 3 options in HID KEY: on, off, and volume control defeated.

I use my W4 with my phone, storing both in my front pocket and use my watch to control volume and play/pause. Since the volume control is always on, inadvertent movements can cause unwanted volume changes.

Is it just me? Anyone else like to see this feature added??
I honestly think the whole Alps knob for a portable device of that size that spends most time in the pocket was a horrible idea. Now it's catching on things, and you need to be careful not to break it off, not so sure about long term longevity either, much preferred rocker style on W2.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #967 of 1,450
I’m back with another comparison that nobody asked for!

I finally broke down and bought the Mojo2 and compared it to the W4. I had to do it because I felt like the W4 was clearly ahead of the OG Mojo. I’m comparing them using A8000, IER-Z1R, Tidal, and Apple Music. Mojo2 is in default settings and the W4 is set to Normal, LL Fast, Tone 2. Both connected to my MacBook via USB.

To my ears, it’s a lot closer than it probably should be but the Mojo2 is (just barely) the superior sounding product. I’m thinking something like a 5-7% difference between the two.

Mojo2 has the advantage in overall detail retrieval and tonal balance. Highs and mids sound more resolving on the Mojo2 but subass extension is better on the W4.

Layering and separation also appears to be a little better on the Mojo2. Imaging and staging is a little too close to call for me.

Two great products so I plan to keep them both. Depending on sonic preferences, I could see people going either way. If the W4 had customizable tone controls, it would really be cooking with grease!
Just added the Arya SE to the lineup. Couldn’t resist the sale price 😬 For me, the gap between the Mojo2 and W4 becomes a little wider (closer to 10%). The W4 is still quite impressive and drives the Arya SE well IMO.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #968 of 1,450
Howdy folks, my review of W4 is online on head-fi and my blog. This review is possible thanks for Australian tour arranged by one and only @Damz87.

With W4, L&P promises you a DAP-like performance and charges you a DAP-like price tag. I found that W4 mostly delivers on the promise, especially if you stick to easy to drive IEMs. It offers a neutral and natural tonality, making it more versatile in pairing with IEMs. The soundstage expansion and dynamic wouldn’t make you miss a proper DAP or portable amp too much.

Of course, the elephant in the room in the price, which can match entry-level Android-based DAP. With W4, L&P helps you to make the decision by taking the sonic difference out of the picture. The question is what type of devil that you are willing to accept: bringing and managing an additional device or draining your phone’s battery for music. There is no right or wrong choice, just preference.

Pros:

• Neutral and versatile tonality
  • Great soundstage expansion and dynamic for a dongle
  • Great design and build quality
Cons:

• Idle battery drain
  • Potential compatibility issue with iOS
  • Price
w4_00012.jpg

Updated: July 29, 2023

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #969 of 1,450
I have an issue with mine, as I've been noticing a popping/crackling sound every time the track changes. I've switched filters and tried changing settings inside UAPP (increasing buffer size, etc.) from my phone, but nothing seems to work. It's not my phone or headphones, as my other DAC (DC04 Pro) works fine. Do you have any tips or solutions?

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #970 of 1,450
I have an issue with mine, as I've been noticing a popping/crackling sound every time the track changes. I've switched filters and tried changing settings inside UAPP (increasing buffer size, etc.) from my phone, but nothing seems to work. It's not my phone or headphones, as my other DAC (DC04 Pro) works fine. Do you have any tips or solutions?

are you playing local files and which format, or streaming from within UAPP? Have you tried another app, like free HibyMusic? Or running a streaming app and switching files? Just wondering if it is related to something in UAPP, or different sampling rates of files as you switch, etc.

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #971 of 1,450
are you playing local files and which format, or streaming from within UAPP? Have you tried another app, like free HibyMusic? Or running a streaming app and switching files? Just wondering if it is related to something in UAPP, or different sampling rates of files as you switch, etc.
I have tried different players (Neutron, Poweramp) with local files, which are FLAC, and getting the same results. I also tried the native tidal app, and encountering the same issue.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #972 of 1,450
return under warranty ... immediately (personal opinion)
moreover, you also risk damaging the iems... which is even worse than the damage to the W4...

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #973 of 1,450
return under warranty ... immediately (personal opinion)
moreover, you also risk damaging the iems... which is even worse than the damage to the W4...
The problem is that MusicTeck is telling me it's not defective, and I'm just past the 30-day return window. Here is the message they provided me, which doesn't make sense as I'm not using the NOS filter so I don't see how they can tell me it's not defective. I've seen them mentioned a few times on this forum, so I was highly disappointed in their response and wonder where I can go from here.

"Under section 4, item 5, they explained that having a "pop" sound under NOS mode in your filter(FIT) settings is normal. The FAST filter will give you a similar sound to the NOS but does not have the "pop" sound.
We tested two other W4s in our store, and they cohere with LP's instructions. When I set the filter to NOS, both W4s had the "pop" sound, then I switched to FAST, and the "pop" sound disappeared.

Therefore, your W4 is not defective."

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #974 of 1,450
The problem is that MusicTeck is telling me it's not defective, and I'm just past the 30-day return window. Here is the message they provided me, which doesn't make sense as I'm not using the NOS filter so I don't see how they can tell me it's not defective. I've seen them mentioned a few times on this forum, so I was highly disappointed in their response and wonder where I can go from here.

"Under section 4, item 5, they explained that having a "pop" sound under NOS mode in your filter(FIT) settings is normal. The FAST filter will give you a similar sound to the NOS but does not have the "pop" sound.
We tested two other W4s in our store, and they cohere with LP's instructions. When I set the filter to NOS, both W4s had the "pop" sound, then I switched to FAST, and the "pop" sound disappeared.

Therefore, your W4 is not defective."
Excuse the question but what smartphone are you using it with? Apple? If so, try it from computer or android and see if it has the same fault... if it doesn't, the problem is the iPhone... obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back