Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #616 of 1,423
SUCCESS!! Thanks again to @bluestorm1992 & @musicday for their help and guidance!

Turns out I just needed to RTFM, word-by-word three times. The update.pdf that bluestorm1992 helped me understand where I went wrong. I re-downloaded the bin file and simply did a regular update to 1.0.1.2. It worked! There are a couple of steps outlined in the update.pdf that I had missed or glossed over.

I'm now back in my own little corner of W4 heaven. :ksc75smile:

This gem sounds glorious, esp. considering how little power it pulls from my iPhone Mini. Heads and shoulders above any other low-power-draw dongle I've tried (which is about a dozen). I'll be selling all of them in a package. pm me if you're interested.
I am glad that you have managed to update to the latest firmware and your W4 is not broken. And yes the shown above WP2 cable made by L&P works great for who is interested.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #617 of 1,423
As a user of the W4, I can ' t agree with your point of view . I purchased the W4 specifically because of its plentiful tuning options . If I want to listen to symphonies and OSTs , I ' lI switch on tune2+ fast + EQ classic . This mode has the largest soundstage and a very strong sense of dynamics . If I ' m after a more passionate and full-bodied sound , l ' ll turn on tune1+ll fast , which is perfect for rock , ACG , and pop music . When I want a relaxing listening experience , l ' ll switch on nos +tune1. Because the nos mode doesn ' t have the negative impact of oversampling and pre - ringing, it can produce sound that is natural and relaxed . Due to the W4's high transparency in sound, changes to these tuning options result in very noticeable variations in sound.

What's even more powerful about the W4 is that even in nos mode, it still measures a dynamic range of over 125db.This allows it to maintain a listening experience similar to r2r while still having high clarity and details

The W4's measured performance is also at the top among dongles. Currently, there isn't a single dongle that can surpass it.

In addition, firmware updates have
brought support for higher HI-res music, as well as new presets for
the lE600.I believe those who own the
lE600 will be quite pleased.

Can you tell me if your another dongle has such a rich selection of tuning options,or such strong performance?
Sorry but did you read my message that you also quoted? I'm glad you're enthusiastic about the W4 and I believe it (also because I'm delighted with the W1), but no one here (including me) said that there are better dongles on this planet ... I just said that there is no assistance worst... but I'm glad my comment prompted you to write more about how it sounds, which ultimately matters the most.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #619 of 1,423
Jun 9, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #620 of 1,423
Does it support usb UAC1 mode for connecting to playstation 5 ?

Maybe you've already figured it out but I saw this comment and remembered this setting from a youtube video. Looks like it's switchable.

1686319412515.png

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #624 of 1,423
Maybe you've already figured it out but I saw this comment and remembered this setting from a youtube video. Looks like it's switchable.

1686319412515.png
I’ve tested with my Switch and it works. Don’t have a PS to try it with, but the UAC 1.0 mode appears functional…

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #625 of 1,423
Couple of updates on the W4 - had a chance to take it on a couple of trips already in the very busy past week. It has been an awesome travel buddy. I had the unique experience of being excited to start a third full album in a row without taking out my IEMs, so I am extremely pleased with lack of fatigue with the combo of this DAC and the IE600 IEMs. I have ended up switching my filter preference to “Fast”, and, to my great surprise, I have been in Tune: 02 almost always. Each time I try Tune: 01, it’s fine, but it sounds a bit congested, and I just want to switch it back. In almost all situations, this DAC seems to do an excellent job of preserving detail but almost never drifting into harshness, which would have been my concern about the more analytical tuning option. It is extremely musical and enjoyable in this mode for all the jazz, alt rock, grunge, and classic rock I’ve thrown at it.

One other random note on the case, as much as it is a bit frustrating sliding a little bit through the openings on the ends, it is very nice to have the magnetic backing. It holds the dongle perfectly in place on a magnet on my Alpaka phone pouch that I have on my Bravo sling bag. Didn’t really expect it, but it has actually been an awesome way to keep it accessible and holding in place while maneuvering through airports.

Also got my RU7 on returning to town this evening, but I cannot get it to work with my iPhone at all. It’s working with my PC, but it is a monstrosity of electrical noise with overclocking, custom cooling, etc. so I don’t expect it to sound great when electrically coupled to that beast. I posted in the RU7 thread, and I’m waiting for some benevolent soul to tell me how I’m screwing up trying to get to it work with the phone, so no comparison yet… Or I guess you might say that the W4 is winning hands down, but that’s not really fair :sweat_smile:

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #626 of 1,423
Couple of updates on the W4 - had a chance to take it on a couple of trips already in the very busy past week. It has been an awesome travel buddy. I had the unique experience of being excited to start a third full album in a row without taking out my IEMs, so I am extremely pleased with lack of fatigue with the combo of this DAC and the IE600 IEMs. I have ended up switching my filter preference to “Fast”, and, to my great surprise, I have been in Tune: 02 almost always. Each time I try Tune: 01, it’s fine, but it sounds a bit congested, and I just want to switch it back. In almost all situations, this DAC seems to do an excellent job of preserving detail but almost never drifting into harshness, which would have been my concern about the more analytical tuning option. It is extremely musical and enjoyable in this mode for all the jazz, alt rock, grunge, and classic rock I’ve thrown at it.

One other random note on the case, as much as it is a bit frustrating sliding a little bit through the openings on the ends, it is very nice to have the magnetic backing. It holds the dongle perfectly in place on a magnet on my Alpaka phone pouch that I have on my Bravo sling bag. Didn’t really expect it, but it has actually been an awesome way to keep it accessible and holding in place while maneuvering through airports.

Also got my RU7 on returning to town this evening, but I cannot get it to work with my iPhone at all. It’s working with my PC, but it is a monstrosity of electrical noise with overclocking, custom cooling, etc. so I don’t expect it to sound great when electrically coupled to that beast. I posted in the RU7 thread, and I’m waiting for some benevolent soul to tell me how I’m screwing up trying to get to it work with the phone, so no comparison yet… Or I guess you might say that the W4 is winning hands down, but that’s not really fair :sweat_smile:
I'm wondering if the RU7's architecture, designed to provide high output power, requires such high power consumption that it exceeds the power supply capabilities of Apple phones, hence the connection issues. the power supply of Apple phones is limited; both the voltage and current can't compare to Android phones. BTW,The SNR of the RU7 is only around 110db, so the noise floor won't be low.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #627 of 1,423
Not sure if these minor insights are valuable to others but just wanted to share a little.

Disclaimer: I don’t have the most critical ear but I lean towards more uncolored/transparent gear. I’m also not the most experienced when it comes to DAC/Amps. The Hugo2 is the best I’ve and the Mojo (1) has been my mobile standard for for years. I was also pretty content with the PAW S1 until now.

I say all of that to say this. The W4 is a really serious piece of kit! For some, it may actually be all you need. I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations. For my tastes, it is superior to the Mojo in almost every way. It manages to be more resolving to my ear without ever becoming harsh. Detail retrieval, staging, dynamics are all excellent. All in the form factor of a dongle!

My initial gripes about the knob and the case still hold true. Also wish the case was a more neutral color as I’m quite dead inside. Aside from that, W4 is highly recommended if you have the budget for and it aligns with your preferences.

Very happy at the moment!

Jun 10, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #628 of 1,423
Not sure if these minor insights are valuable to others but just wanted to share a little.

Disclaimer: I don’t have the most critical ear but I lean towards more uncolored/transparent gear. I’m also not the most experienced when it comes to DAC/Amps. The Hugo2 is the best I’ve and the Mojo (1) has been my mobile standard for for years. I was also pretty content with the PAW S1 until now.

I say all of that to say this. The W4 is a really serious piece of kit! For some, it may actually be all you need. I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations. For my tastes, it is superior to the Mojo in almost every way. It manages to be more resolving to my ear without ever becoming harsh. Detail retrieval, staging, dynamics are all excellent. All in the form factor of a dongle!

My initial gripes about the knob and the case still hold true. Also wish the case was a more neutral color as I’m quite dead inside. Aside from that, W4 is highly recommended if you have the budget for and it aligns with your preferences.

Very happy at the moment!
I agree with everything you wrote ! I really enjoy this dongle.
Hopefully there will be some nice quality leather cases made for W4 by Dignis, or others.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #629 of 1,423
So LP5108 = 4 pieces of CS43131 connected in parallel?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #630 of 1,423
So LP5108 = 4 pieces of CS43131 connected in parallel?
Not just so. There are more components on it than 4 DAC chips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back