Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
May 18, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #361 of 1,423
This is my original impression of W2 vs. W2-131, you might find it useful to read before my initial impression of W4.

My first impression of W4 is that it definitely shared the same DNA as W2-131 - this is especially true for the single-ended 3.5mm output. Switching from one to the other has very little impact on the music presentation. The difference between the two is much more revealing in the balanced 4.4mm output. There the W4 has a much wider presentation / soundstage / image / instrument separation (*even more than W2), though the undertone is still undoubtfully very W2-131'sih. As I had said in the past on why I like W2 over W-131 because W2-131 slightly upfront nature of presentation makes it a bit more intimate than I like, the W4 really just 'fixes' all those issues for me. While W4 might not be as colorless as W2, it has struck an excellent balance between absolute transparency and texture recreation. To use a similar analogy, W4 is almost like an open space venue as compared to W2's concert hall vs. W23-131's jazz club.

So I do like the W4, but do I think it is worth me paying about 70% more over W2/W2-131 for it? Well, 'worth' kinda carries a different meaning to different people based on how they value thing. From a more objective PoV, I'll say probably not., especially if you already own a W2/W2-131 as you are definitely not going to feel like you are getting an 70% upgrade - or at least I don't feel that way myself. More subjective speaking, I kinda on the fence. No doubt W4 is the absolutely best sounding USB dongle I current have, but I just wished that I have skipped all the line to get there in one step. Now that's the life story of an audiophile.
So if you were to keep just one, and sell everything ,that it will be W4 right? Right ? efore you try the new RU7 and you may like it more. :)

May 18, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #362 of 1,423
So if you were to keep just one, and sell everything ,that it will be W4 right? Right ? efore you try the new RU7 and you may like it more. :)
Yes, right now I am most inclined to keep W4 if I were only able to keep one .

May 18, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #363 of 1,423
This is my original impression of W2 vs. W2-131, you might find it useful to read before my initial impression of W4.

My first impression of W4 is that it definitely shared the same DNA as W2-131 - this is especially true for the single-ended 3.5mm output. Switching from one to the other has very little impact on the music presentation. The difference between the two is much more revealing in the balanced 4.4mm output. There the W4 has a much wider presentation / soundstage / image / instrument separation (*even more than W2), though the undertone is still undoubtfully very W2-131'sih. As I had said in the past on why I like W2 over W-131 because W2-131 slightly upfront nature of presentation makes it a bit more intimate than I like, the W4 really just 'fixes' all those issues for me. While W4 might not be as colorless as W2, it has struck an excellent balance between absolute transparency and texture recreation. To use a similar analogy, W4 is almost like an open space venue as compared to W2's concert hall vs. W23-131's jazz club.

So I do like the W4, but do I think it is worth me paying about 70% more over W2/W2-131 for it? Well, 'worth' kinda carries a different meaning to different people based on how they value thing. From a more objective PoV, I'll say probably not., especially if you already own a W2/W2-131 as you are definitely not going to feel like you are getting an 70% upgrade - or at least I don't feel that way myself. More subjective speaking, I kinda on the fence. No doubt W4 is the absolutely best sounding USB dongle I current have, but I just wished that I have skipped all the line to get there in one step. Now that's the life story of an audiophile.
Thanks much for your impressions, and spending so much time (and money) chasing the perfect dongle.

As long as it plays nice with my iPhone and Mac, W4 seems like an ideal way for me to get a taste of that sweet LP sound in my life while using a proper UI to play whatever music, or other content for that matter, I like.

May 18, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #365 of 1,423
just being alerted by Wan of LP of this thread...He asked me to thank all who had shown intetested in W4, in particular those, who had spent time to write a review and/or translated the related materials.

I dont hv any W4, am still relying on my LP6Ti...but after reading cleios's review.think i should get one for travelling...

May 18, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #366 of 1,423
just being alerted by Wan of LP of this thread...He asked me to thank all who had shown intetested in W4, in particular those, who had spent time to write a review and/or translated the related materials.

I dont hv any W4, am still relying on my LP6Ti...but after reading cleios's review.think i should get one for travelling...
Can you kindly ask Mr. Wan of LP if they plan to update the website? Firmware updates and English language will be nice to have. Thanks 👍

May 18, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #367 of 1,423
Can you kindly ask Mr. Wan of LP if they plan to update the website? Firmware updates and English language will be nice to have. Thanks 👍
will do... LP6Ti is not vy suitable for travelling...virtually all security check pts stopped n asked what was it during my recent trip...

Attachments

• wx_camera_1684239214964.jpg
    wx_camera_1684239214964.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 0
May 18, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #370 of 1,423
@Tony Ng if it's not too much trouble could you please ask when will the W4 be available in Europe? So far I don't see any information about it on any store's website besides audioessence.ch

May 18, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #372 of 1,423
It is in stock at Musictek in USA and they have fast shipping. That's where I got mine and W2.
I'd prefer not to buy from a US based store due to vat, import tariffs, and associated hassle but if all else fails this might be an option. Thanks.

May 18, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #373 of 1,423
It is also available at Hifigo with shipping, taxes and customs included.

May 18, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #374 of 1,423
Ordered my W4 from Musicteck on Tuesday (17th), received it yesterday (18th); prompt as ever.

For iPhone users that are concerned about tripping the power limiter, I did a few tests. All were done with an iPhone 14 Pro, with the phone directly powering the W4 (no adapters, dongles, and no external power to the phone).

Driving full-size cans (HD800S, ZMF Atrium, Focal Utopia, HD660S2, LCD-5), I had no issues getting to levels way above more normal listening levels (which is about 80 dB/SPL) in high gain mode using the balanced output. Volume setting was 45-65 depending on the headphone. The Sennheisers and Utopia were fine from the 3.5mm output as well, albeit with less headroom.

The only case where I've been able to trip the power limiter was with the LCD-5 (14 ohms), playing very dynamic, bass-heavy, music, and it wasn't until I got to a volume level of 90 (again, balanced output, high gain) that the limiter engaged and disconnected the W4. That was a MUCH higher level of replay than I would ever use in practice and was way too loud to have them on my head while testing.

With IEMs, from 32 ohms, all the way down to my 3 ohm EE Odin, I was not able to get the limiter to trip regardless of what else I did. That was not the case with the W2-131.

Unit is smaller than it looks ... similar in size to W2 and Paw S1/S2.

Sound is excellent, but that's all I'll say about that since preferences and headphones/IEMs vary so much.

Measurements are stellar ... beating many high-end DAC/amp desktop units into 300 ohms (albeit with less power) and a smaller number into 32 ohms. Which is not to say the W4 sounds better, just that it measures better. Beats the W2 and every other dongle DAC/amp I've measured too.

May 18, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #375 of 1,423
It is also available at Hifigo with shipping, taxes and customs included.

Except, Hifigo is not their authorized sellers, meaning the warranty coverage/support will not be honored through manufacturer.

I have seen recently a number of manufacturers posting on their FB pages a warning not to buy from unauthorized sellers, with Hifigo being mentioned by UM, Lotoo, and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back