Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 1, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #4,696 of 5,299
Has anyone had a chance to compare W2 against Mojo 1 or 2?

Yup. I own the W2-131 and just got the Mojo 2 today.

Early impressions: I love my W2-131, but the Mojo 2 takes my Sony IER-M9 to the next level. Bass reaches deeper and hits harder, imaging is wider and more 3D feeing, and the music has a more emotional / dynamic feel to it. The adjustable EQ is nice as well. Of course, the Mojo 2 is a less portable and more expensive product (especially if you are outside the UK). As for cons, it still uses Micro-USB for charging, circa 2010 (though it does has USB-C for input).

That said, I have enjoyed the W2-131. It produces a warm, yet clean sound and punches above its weight - I may sell it to subsidize the Mojo 2, but may end up keeping it for the portability factor.

Apr 2, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #4,698 of 5,299
Is Mojo a more competent DAC/amp? Yes.

Do I miss Mojo after having W2? No.

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #4,701 of 5,299
Just got the 131 and so far sounds great out of the box. was curious what settings you like to use and why?

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #4,702 of 5,299
Guess with compact package like that expecting desktop DAC/Amp performance is silly. Even with IEMs, was quite disappointed after testing it against Auralic stack with Dunu SA6. W2 sounds wooly and congested in comparison. Not really a surprise, but hoping them being may be a bit closer with not power hungry phones.
Need something transportable for office use, torn between Mojo 2 and Gryphon. Seems like Mojo may provide slightly better SQ, but the package execution is quite horrible, with silly bulbs, lack of major features like balanced output, still using micro usb, and kludge plastic usb-c afterthought.

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #4,703 of 5,299
Guess with compact package like that expecting desktop DAC/Amp performance is silly. Even with IEMs, was quite disappointed after testing it against Auralic stack with Dunu SA6. W2 sounds wooly and congested in comparison. Not really a surprise, but hoping them being may be a bit closer with not power hungry phones.
Need something transportable for office use, torn between Mojo 2 and Gryphon. Seems like Mojo may provide slightly better SQ, but the package execution is quite horrible, with silly bulbs, lack of major features like balanced output, still using micro usb, and kludge plastic usb-c afterthought.
Gryphon seems like better value overall and includes bluetooth (not as a separate bulky and pricey upsell) should you need it

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #4,705 of 5,299
How are the two in comparison?
Hey sorry was busy all day finally have time to sit down and respond to this.

In short they have different strengths and weaknesses:

- W2 is a bit more airier and W2-131 is a little bit more close in (still good sound stage).
- Imaging I thought both were "okay" but RU6 definitely is better.
- W2 has a bit more sparkly treble which I thought was more fun, W2-131 treble felt polite, which for my taste I like W2 treble more.
- W2-131 has more lower mids, which result in a fuller / warmer presentation. W2 has more upper mids which has more pronounced violin sound.
- W2 seems to have sub bass and W2-131 has more mid bass, both have good bass.
- Vocal I think W2-131 has neutral vocal distance and W2 vocal feels a bit far for my taste. I like forward vocal so both felt too far for me lol.
- Texture wise W2-131 definitely has more organic texture in vocal. W2 vocal felt a tiny bit more flat / digital in comparison.

In the end it's different trade off, neither are bad units and neither is better than one another. I like different things about both. Though W2 sounds a bit more "fun" to me and W2-131 sounds a bit more "smooth and balanced". But neither check all the boxes so I sold both and bought Mojo 2 so we'll see what happens LOL (hasn't arrived yet).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #4,706 of 5,299
Hey sorry was busy all day finally have time to sit down and respond to this.

In short they have different strengths and weaknesses:

- W2 is a bit more airier and W2-131 is a little bit more close in (still good sound stage).
- Imaging I thought both were "okay" but RU6 definitely is better.
- W2 has a bit more sparkly treble which I thought was more fun, W2-131 treble felt polite, which for my taste I like W2 treble more.
- W2-131 has more lower mids, which result in a fuller / warmer presentation. W2 has more upper mids which has more pronounced violin sound.
- W2 seems to have sub bass and W2-131 has more mid bass, both have good bass.
- Vocal I think W2-131 has neutral vocal distance and W2 vocal feels a bit far for my taste. I like forward vocal so both felt too far for me lol.
- Texture wise W2-131 definitely has more organic texture in vocal. W2 vocal felt a tiny bit more flat / digital in comparison.

In the end it's different trade off, neither are bad units and neither is better than one another. I like different things about both. Though W2 sounds a bit more "fun" to me and W2-131 sounds a bit more "smooth and balanced". But neither check all the boxes so I sold both and bought Mojo 2 so we'll see what happens LOL (hasn't arrived yet).
What settings did u use for the comparison?

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #4,707 of 5,299
Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #4,708 of 5,299
Does the w2 131 feature a fully balanced 4.4 out? Just read that the competitor cayin ru6 although features a 4.4 out but not fully balanced …

Post in thread 'Cayin RU6: R-2R USB Dongle DAC with Head-Amp'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-ru6-r-2r-usb-dongle-dac-with-head-amp.960113/post-16883432

I think the statement regarding RU6 in the RU6 thread is a bit mistaken on how it is phrasing 'balanced'. The fact is, as far as what technical regarded as being balanced or not, RU6 has indeed a balanced output and the way it is implemented is actually one of the most common way of how balanced output are done in many devices these days. It is no more fake or real than many other balanced output out there IMO.

Apr 5, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #4,709 of 5,299
Anyone use Samsung s22 / s22 ultra with w2 / w2-131? I use s22u and my w2-131 keep disconnecting and reconnecting while it is plugged. I have no issues at all with another dongle(ibasso dc03) on the s22u, nor w2-131 on oneplus 7. Not sure if it is compatibility issue or anything to do with settings on my s22?

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #4,710 of 5,299
Anyone use Samsung s22 / s22 ultra with w2 / w2-131? I use s22u and my w2-131 keep disconnecting and reconnecting while it is plugged. I have no issues at all with another dongle(ibasso dc03) on the s22u, nor w2-131 on oneplus 7. Not sure if it is compatibility issue or anything to do with settings on my s22?
I'm using S22 Ultra W2 first gen and have no such issues. Maybe get an aftermarket cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back