Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Sep 24, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #4,051 of 5,290
First off, MusicTeck is just the best!

My W1 arrived today. Initial impressions: The W1 is on-par with the Paw S1. I think the S1 has a "darker background" and has slightly more soundstage than the W1. The S1 has a bit of edge in the treble. The W1 is a bit more "organic" and seems to reveal a bit more in the mid range. The Onyx is fairly similar sonically to the W1 but not as flexible or ergonomic. The W1 with all possible cables at $155 is a total steal! Just wish L&P gave the Apple crowd some FW support.

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #4,052 of 5,290
I have been using W2 with settings of ‘Fast’ filter and Tone 02 for a while; but today, after using my Lotoo Paw S1 for a while I tried I came across a song that didn’t sound right, so I changed to ‘LL Fast’ and Tone 01 and the song was full-bodied with the right amount of bass and transient impact. But, the next song was harsh, so I changed back to ‘Fast’ and Tone 02 and it was great.

What I’m trying to get across is that the advantage of the W2 over the S1 is the amount of customization due to the permutations of filter and tone options.

However, I did just pre-order an S2 from MusicTeck since I love the stock S1 sound and hope the S2 is just as good (despite the lack of filter selection) as the S1 but without the EMI/RFI issues I experience with the S1 sometimes with my iPhone and iPad.

Regardless, the W2 is an awesome piece of kit!

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #4,053 of 5,290
Went ahead and downloaded Parallels for Mac. Went well it’s only a 14 day trial version but got the W2 updated. When I have more time going look into other software. I now know my old Mac can run window7 so it’s just deciding on software.

Did anyone else notice a slight increase to the sound quality after updating to the newest firmware? Soundstages feels a little wider and seems to be more bass slam with it. It’s not a huge different but I’m liking what I’m hearing.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #4,054 of 5,290
Could someone please check generic (e.g. native Tidal client or Apple Music Lossless) sampling rate on W2 connected to Galaxy S21 Ultra? Some say that it avoids standard Android 48/24 resampling using 192/32 with better algorithms instead.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #4,055 of 5,290
Went ahead and downloaded Parallels for Mac. Went well it’s only a 14 day trial version but got the W2 updated. When I have more time going look into other software. I now know my old Mac can run window7 so it’s just deciding on software.

Did anyone else notice a slight increase to the sound quality after updating to the newest firmware? Soundstages feels a little wider and seems to be more bass slam with it. It’s not a huge different but I’m liking what I’m hearing.
I did notice better sound quality straight after the update too.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #4,056 of 5,290
Could someone please check generic (e.g. native Tidal client or Apple Music Lossless) sampling rate on W2 connected to Galaxy S21 Ultra? Some say that it avoids standard Android 48/24 resampling using 192/32 with better algorithms instead.
I read somewhere that Tidal was rolling out a version with a driver built in that bypasses the Android audio stack, like UAPP does. So could well be that those who are noting S21 doesn't have the 48/24 resampling might be using the updated Tidal. The good news would be that if this is true it would help many more models of phones…. I don‘t have the S21 or I would test this out…. But I do have an LG v30 and I will see if this has been addressed there…

Sep 27, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #4,058 of 5,290
E1DA 9038S vs Luxury and Precision W2 Comparison

Treble: Treble has some added splatiness to it on the W2, especially with cymbals. Treble on the W2 is a bit harsher. Cymbal pitches on the E1DA definitely sound slightly clearer. E1DA's treble feels more natural and realistic than the W2's.

Transients: E1DA Definitely has snappier transients. W2 felt soft in comparison, across the whole frequency range. Bass felt snappier on E1DA definitely.

Separation: The whole mix feels a bit more clearly separated out on the E1DA. W2 feels slightly more like one blob.

Detail: Very similar. Because of its treble E1DA presents it better though.

Noisefloor: W2 wins, but Qudelix is on par with it and has EQ

Given my recent experiences with the Qudelix 5K, i think the differences between these 2 are mainly down to ESS vs Cirrus modulator designs. Even with upsampling filters, these differences were apparent.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #4,061 of 5,290
From all the usb c cables I tried (including ddhifi, random 10gbps cables in ali), this cable which just arrived is the only one which connects to W2 so securely it would hardly shake even when I try to shake it. I would recommend this for W2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002708329867.html
New-Lightning-to-Type-C-DAC-OTG-Cable-8-Core-Single-Crystal-Copper-USB-C-to.jpg

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #4,062 of 5,290
From all the usb c cables I tried (including ddhifi, random 10gbps cables in ali), this cable which just arrived is the only one which connects to W2 so securely it would hardly shake even when I try to shake it. I would recommend this for W2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002708329867.html

Interesting I have seen this one and couple others similar ones. Right now happy with current collection but it nice to hear of another one that works. This one doesn’t look bad so included a link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...74-9&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000018425015217"}

10576B69-12E9-4B49-8D7A-C924B2C70988.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #4,063 of 5,290
Hello guys, just received my W2 today and I'm driving my Noble Katana with it via an iPhone 12. I am honestly gobsmacked at how good the Katana sounds now, unbelievable.
Currently running it through the 3.5mm jack. Have a 4.4mm cable on the way.

I have a couple of questions guys,

1. I'd like to drive my headphones with this as well (transportable solution on the laptop), but I don't have a 4.4mm cable (LCD X and HD800). I was thinking I'll get a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter and then connect the headphones using a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter. The main intention is to get the higher output for the headphones. Is something like this doable? Any adapter recommendations?

2. I noticed that no matter what music I played on the iPhone (Tidal HiFi and Apple Music), the bit rate was always 32, the sampling rate changed. Has anyone else faced this?

Really pleased with my purchase, looking forward to exploring all the options.
Cheers!

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #4,064 of 5,290
Hello guys, just received my W2 today and I'm driving my Noble Katana with it via an iPhone 12. I am honestly gobsmacked at how good the Katana sounds now, unbelievable.
Currently running it through the 3.5mm jack. Have a 4.4mm cable on the way.

I have a couple of questions guys,

1. I'd like to drive my headphones with this as well (transportable solution on the laptop), but I don't have a 4.4mm cable (LCD X and HD800). I was thinking I'll get a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter and then connect the headphones using a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter. The main intention is to get the higher output for the headphones. Is something like this doable? Any adapter recommendations?

2. I noticed that no matter what music I played on the iPhone (Tidal HiFi and Apple Music), the bit rate was always 32, the sampling rate changed. Has anyone else faced this?

Really pleased with my purchase, looking forward to exploring all the options.
Cheers!
Sorry, I am a little confused about what you are suggesting…. Just in case, and forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but let me stress, do not, under any circumstances take a cable that is terminated as Single Ended (3.5mm or quarter inch) and use that in a 4.4mm jack. You can probably jury rig a series of adapters to make it fit, but you will be creating shorts and damage or destroy your amp.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #4,065 of 5,290
also selling mine. was going to use it for the office and save money on a cheaper dac/amp, but doesnt pair well with my iem :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back