Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Aug 19, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #3,783 of 5,299
Been listening to the LP W2 and the Lotoo Paw S1, comparing them to each other, and to my Sony ZX507.

The Sony is a bit older, and if you’re talking streaming, it certainly isn’t as format-capable as either of these devices, being hamstrung by it’s Android OS which handles streaming/streaming service downloads… so no bit-perfect. But that Sony house sound… gorgeous.

That said, the tonality of both the W2 and S1 is equally gorgeous. The Sony is deep and melodious, with squared-off grippy bass. The W2 manages to match the Sony’s depth and crunch, with perhaps bit more drive or stridency in the tone. The S1 matches the other two’s extension but is an overall clearer, rounder, sweeter tone than either… It’s just as warm as the W2 and Sony without being as dark. Curiously, I find the S1 to be just as technically capable as the W2, despite the extra hardware the latter boasts.

Power-wise, the W2 is a be a bit of a vampire in my experience. Devices seem to drain very quickly with it. The S1 seems to do a lot better on that front. That said, a portable charger will even things out. And honestly, I’d probably carry one if I were using either. Better safe than sorry.

Personally my favorite sound is the S1… and not just when compared to the W2, I feel it bests the ZX507 as well. But you can’t go wrong with the W2 either, depending on your preferences. To my ears the W2 and Sony tone are more alike than different, two close variations on a theme.

Crazy that $165 (or $299 as the case may be) plus an iPod makes for something superior to just about any DAP on the planet…

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,784 of 5,299
Wait, I just realized it is the same FW version as the previous one. They updated their website to allow users to directly download the bin file by clicking on it.
According the files' size and date , they should not be the same version . However , no idea what's the difference between these two version .

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #3,785 of 5,299
According the files' size and date , they should not be the same version . However , no idea what's the difference between these two version .
No is not the same file or firmware, as this was posted on L&P website on the 18 August.
Probably they have fixed some bugs, anyway this new firmware, made my W2 to sounds better then before, without a reason.

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #3,787 of 5,299
I guess my main concern about the W2 is that it seems it draws too much power for iPhone. How are iPhone users coping with this issue?

I use W2 daily at work for 7 hours with an iPhone 12 mini. I drive Focal Celestee most of the time, but also use Fiio FD5 and occasionally Empyrean. W2 gets plenty loud for me on all of these. The iPhone starts to cut power around 85 on high gain. This is hearing damage volume and is too loud for me, so it’s not a problem. W2 absolutely destroys my battery. I was haging to charge the phone midday, until Apple released the magsafe battery. Now I just put that on when I get to my desk and begin listening. No problems now, plenty of battery. I’m so happy with this setup I sold my DX300. I also regularly use W2 with my iPad. It’s a wonderful solution for Apple devices IMO.

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,788 of 5,299
I use W2 daily at work for 7 hours with an iPhone 12 mini. I drive Focal Celestee most of the time, but also use Fiio FD5 and occasionally Empyrean. W2 gets plenty loud for me on all of these. The iPhone starts to cut power around 85 on high gain. This is hearing damage volume and is too loud for me, so it’s not a problem. W2 absolutely destroys my battery. I was haging to charge the phone midday, until Apple released the magsafe battery. Now I just put that on when I get to my desk and begin listening. No problems now, plenty of battery. I’m so happy with this setup I sold my DX300. I also regularly use W2 with my iPad. It’s a wonderful solution for Apple devices IMO.
Thanks for the detailed response! Finally found a clear answer as to how it works with iPhones and based on what you are saying it seems like it won’t be a problem for me as I am not driving power hungry headphones!

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #3,790 of 5,299
Thanks for the detailed response! Finally found a clear answer as to how it works with iPhones and based on what you are saying it seems like it won’t be a problem for me as I am not driving power hungry headphones!
I run pretty sensitive IEMs (Vision Ears VE8 and 64 Audio A12T) at low volumes with the W2, and it was draining the battery of my 12” iPad Pro (M1) pretty quickly. So much so that I picked up the Lotoo S1... hence my little comparison above. Personally, I would not consider a phone/W2 setup without carrying a battery pack or the MagSafe solution...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,791 of 5,299
I run pretty sensitive IEMs (Vision Ears VE8 and 64 Audio A12T) at low volumes with the W2, and it was draining the battery of my 12” iPad Pro (M1) pretty quickly. So much so that I picked up the Lotoo S1... hence my little comparison above. Personally, I would not consider a phone/W2 setup without carrying a battery pack or the MagSafe solution...
Good to know. 👍

Personally I'll be using it via the USBC out on my laptop.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #3,792 of 5,299
I don’t use the 2w with the iPhone 12 mini much anymore the battery drain issue just became too annoying. Since the sound is better using ipad Air it‘s become my main source for now for music player. The iPad also is usb c and easier find c to c cables than lighting to c.

Really amazed on how far the technology has become the W2 and variations combo has become my main music listening source. Haven’t really spent much time listen to the home system since this upgrade. Says a lot when I’m using a $800 setup vs $6000. Granted it sounds better on home system but can’t really crank it up to same volume level.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #3,793 of 5,299

Thanks for the detailed description about the power consumption o the W2. I decided not to get it mainly due to that as I listen to music on my iPhone most of the time. I do have a Sony NW-ZX300 which I use but not nearly as much!

This brings me back to the drawing board into finding a balanced amp/dac for the iPhone that has a 4.4mm output for headphones! So far interested in the HiliDAC Audirect Beam 2S, Lotto S1, or the ddHiFi TC44B. I mainly use the CA Andromeda or Sony EX1000 both with a 4.4 balanced cable. The annoying thing about Andromeda is that it is quite sensitive so I would like an amp/dac that has many volume steps so that I don’t have to use the iFi iematch!

cheers!
Jon

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #3,794 of 5,299

You think W2 matched sound quality of DX300?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back