Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Aug 15, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #3,752 of 5,299
For power-hungry headphones, I think something like iFi Diablo is a better buy. W2 can handle power-hungry IEMs and efficient headphones. Using it with less efficient headphones will be a stretch.

True. For anything power hungry and inefficient using usb/dac dongle won't cut it when you are sucking juices from your smartphone :D Dongles are not intended for that, you need something with a built-in battery.

Aug 15, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #3,753 of 5,299
True. For anything power hungry and inefficient using usb/dac dongle won't cut it when you are sucking juices from your smartphone :D Dongles are not intended for that, you need something with a built-in battery.
Indeed. the W2 is very good for what it does. But let's not get carried away. :wink:

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,754 of 5,299
Went a little nuts on trying to find the right usb connector for the w2.
I tried the ddHiFi options and decided the ddHiFi tc28i with a c to c usb works best with my iPhone setup. Currently use that with either the woo audio or a TC05. I also have a custom usb for the w2 cable that should arrive soon. On iPad air l’m using the L shaped one that was posted earlier. I’m really liking the L shaped one since it’s easier to remove for charging the iPad.

This has left me a with a couple of extra cables. If anyone is interested I have a unopened ddHiFi MFi06 and TC05 for sale. Just pm me. I live in the usa and figure this may save someone the long wait from China.

Aug 17, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #3,755 of 5,299
Purchased W1 for $149 sale price. I guess that W2 might be better, but I might not hear the difference so save myself some money.
W1 is pretty good by spec. and I want to try DAC other than ESS ones.

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #3,756 of 5,299
Purchased W1 for $149 sale price. I guess that W2 might be better, but I might not hear the difference so save myself some money.
W1 is pretty good by spec. and I want to try DAC other than ESS ones.
If it works for you great. I didn't even wanted to read about the W1 and I went straight to W2 after I sold my S1.
Very, very happy with it

Aug 17, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #3,757 of 5,299
Hey guys I picked up the DDhifi TC05 and have constant cut outs when using it with the W2, anyone else experience issues? I have tried swapping ends but same result, will go back to seller but curious if others have had issues with the w2? My phone is a samsung s20 FE 5g

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #3,758 of 5,299
Hey guys I picked up the DDhifi TC05 and have constant cut outs when using it with the W2, anyone else experience issues? I have tried swapping ends but same result, will go back to seller but curious if others have had issues with the w2? My phone is a samsung s20 FE 5g

I have both @ddHiFi TC05 straight and L-shaped versions, the most reliable cable I have tried so far with W2 and S1. What do you mean by swapping ends? TC05 is unidirectional, not bi-directional. The housing of connectors has an arrow pointing in the direction of data flow from your source to W2. But you can flip usb-c connector 180deg to see if it makes a difference. I assume the cable's usb-c connector snaps in securely going into W2 and your phone? If there is a little bit of wiggle at your phone side, that could be an issue due to worn out phone connector.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #3,759 of 5,299
I would give it a shot on another phone or laptop with USBC out. That will tell you if it's your phone or the cable.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #3,760 of 5,299
What do you mean by cut outs? I've certainly experience a lot of W2/Phone connection problems with a whole range of cables - pretty much all the ones recommended on this site, including the ddhifi - due to loose/unstable usb connectors - usually at the phone end, sometimes the W2 end. Probably the most annoying aspect of this 'hobby'. But I haven't experienced any 'software' cut outs except with much cheaper dacs. The only rock solid usb c cable I've found is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H96FWY9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (though currently unavailable in the UK).

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #3,763 of 5,299
With the SPDIF port, is that just 3.5mm mini-optical similar to that of the Chromecast Audio?
It's coax, not optical, there were quite a few recommendations of cables people found and shared in this thread, search for "spdif cable".

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #3,764 of 5,299
So it seems like my issue is isolated to the TC05 cable but only when using my Phone, If I keep the W2 perfectly still its fine but if I pick it up it loses connection. I cant repeat this issue if I connect it to my laptop nor do i have the same issue on my phone using the cable the W2 came with. Not much I can do i guess, was thinking of changing my phone might use this as an excuse!

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #3,765 of 5,299
So it seems like my issue is isolated to the TC05 cable but only when using my Phone, If I keep the W2 perfectly still its fine but if I pick it up it loses connection. I cant repeat this issue if I connect it to my laptop nor do i have the same issue on my phone using the cable the W2 came with. Not much I can do i guess, was thinking of changing my phone might use this as an excuse!
Sounds like the port on your phone is toast and it's time to get an upgrade! 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back