Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jul 4, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #3,406 of 5,294
No issues unless you run very sensitive IEMs like Andromeda and turn volume so loud that your grandmother will complain and you want to destroy your ear drum - so in short: distortion is rather a theoretical case than a practical one with IPhone
Well, it might be an issue if you try to drive non-sensitive headphones, e.g. planars with your W2 on 85++ volume in High Gain: you still can do that on Android but not on iPhone, I faced that while trying Aeon 2 Closed. Anyway, it's not a good idea to max out volume on HG but still expect good sound quality, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #3,408 of 5,294
Well, it might be an issue if you try to drive non-sensitive headphones, e.g. planars with your W2 on 85++ volume in High Gain: you still can do that on Android but not on iPhone, I faced that while trying Aeon 2 Closed. Anyway, it's not a good idea to max out volume on HG but still expect good sound quality, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
Agree, for me only with IEMs.
Looking forward to experimenting once my C9 has arrived...

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #3,409 of 5,294
Why do you think it gives you only 80% of the sound??? Do you refer to output power? That might be more with the other devices mentioned, still irrelevant for the intended IEM use-case. But I highly doubt that the ifi/mojo „sound“ any better than the W2.

In fact, the opposite is probably the case. Feel free to compare the mojo to the W2 (spoiler: W2 wins). And as you mention Dragonfly. Well, they are not so good…
Thanks for your response. I meant 80% sound quality actually, good to know that it sounds better than mojo thats an awesome value. If this the case who needs a portable DAC / Amp like ifi idsd BL, signature or mojo or any high over 100$ DAP specially if the use case is iPhone and iem.

I actually ordered the W2 with green leather case from musicteck today after hearing so much praise from all of you, thanks again for helping on my purchasing decision and I agree with you on Dragonfly it does nothing other than increasing the volume level, I returned it the next day I got.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,410 of 5,294
Hmm. I definitely am not part of the crowd that thinks this is better than the mojo or iFi products (including hip Dac) but it sounds good for a dongle.
It doesn’t need to be better than much to stay a great value as such a portable, versatile amp/dac.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #3,411 of 5,294
Invited to 4th July party fed host alcohol borrowed his Windows laptop and finally updated W2. Feel shame admit this. Crosssing fingered that then soon allow Mac user a easier update firmware path. Happy 4th all

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #3,412 of 5,294
Thanks for your response. I meant 80% sound quality actually, good to know that it sounds better than mojo thats an awesome value. If this the case who needs a portable DAC / Amp like ifi idsd BL, signature or mojo or any high over 100$ DAP specially if the use case is iPhone and iem.

I actually ordered the W2 with green leather case from musicteck today after hearing so much praise from all of you, thanks again for helping on my purchasing decision and I agree with you on Dragonfly it does nothing other than increasing the volume level, I returned it the next day I got.
The iFi has some qualities that are not available with the W2, like its own battery power, for example. So it wouldn’t draw your phone battery. And those (trans)portable devices usually deliver much more output power so you can also drive more demanding over-ear headphones with them. Other than that the iFi devices have a beautiful volume knob (but it comes at a price… See below) which I find much nicer than a volume rocker.

So, I didn’t want to say that the W2 is _better_ than other devices in every aspect. But it does an outstanding job when it comes to drive IEMs in the best possible way without hissing or distortions etc., at a reasonable price and size/weight.

Hmm. I definitely am not part of the crowd that thinks this is better than the mojo or iFi products (including hip Dac) but it sounds good for a dongle.
It doesn’t need to be better than much to stay a great value as such a portable, versatile amp/dac.

The W2 is definitely better than the Mojo as it has much better measurements so it can objectively be said that it is better…still you can follow your personal believes, of course.

I don’t know how the iFi devices measure but I guess they do great. I even had the Hip-DAC you mentioned (twice…). Unfortunately it is unusable for IEMs as it hisses like hell and has this nasty channel imbalance up to 11 o’clock. Above 11 the channels match but then the volume is too loud for many IEMs!

Yes, you can use IEMatch but then it becomes kind of a hassle and IEMatch alters the frequency response for sensitive IEMs. Hip-DAC is only good for over-ears, imo.

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #3,417 of 5,294
Just found my very first Hifi full size headphones in the corner of some drawer: Philips Fidelio X1.
Excellent signature with W2 with nice timbre, nice dry sub bass response and spatial presentation running on high gain and volume at around 55.
It sounds so good out of W2 that I kept on listening to them for some hours, so W2 can indeed complement full size cans too but not always.
Am avoiding using my my TOTL Denon AH-D9200 e.g

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #3,418 of 5,294
Just found my very first Hifi full size headphones in the corner of some drawer: Philips Fidelio X1.
Excellent signature with W2 with nice timbre, nice dry sub bass response and spatial presentation running on high gain and volume at around 55.
It sounds so good out of W2 that I kept on listening to them for some hours, so W2 can indeed complement full size cans too but not always.
Am avoiding using my my TOTL Denon AH-D9200 e.g
What's wrong with D9200+W2? I'm seriously considering getting these as well

Jul 5, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #3,419 of 5,294
Too bright, too forward upper mids missing a more lush presentation.
I might try these running on SE again at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back