Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jul 5, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #3,421 of 5,299
Peeps - I think the Luxury & Precision W2 Portable USB DAC/Amp is the best dongle I have ever used for my computer, iPhone, and Android devices. However, there are a few reasons why it is not a fit for me:
  • I have a high-end DAP that I really, really enjoy
  • The update process takes a lot of work since I don't have a Windows machine, just linux/OSX. Virtual Box and I don't need to spend more time together
  • It doesn't have a UAC1 mode for my gaming systems
That being said, it sounds amazing. I got a great silicone case for it and it is in mint condition. I've posted it in the classifieds in case anyone wants to enjoy it who hasn't already.
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...ac-amp-headphone-amp-with-silicone-case.7235/

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #3,422 of 5,299
What's wrong with D9200+W2? I'm seriously considering getting these as well
Just trying the stock Denon-SE cables with W2, running high gain, volume at around 45-50.
Actually much better for me than balanced, will need to do A-B at some point again.
Most detailed presentation I have listened to with the W2 with dry bass response, engaging but not as much into the face as the balanced connection, thus for me more enjoyable - Tune 1 taking off some of the potential harshness issues.
Different cables of course could also play some role (stock SE vs custom balanced)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #3,423 of 5,299
Too bright, too forward upper mids missing a more lush presentation.
I might try these running on SE again at some point
That's interesting: I spend most of time with W2+MSR7b (balanced, high gain, Fast+Tune2, 55-75 volume depending on background noise) currently while still waiting for 3DT to come back from repair and like them despite they are known for even more forward upper mids/treble. Maybe I need to find a demo sample somewhere and try these with my own ears...

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #3,424 of 5,299
That's interesting: I spend most of time with W2+MSR7b (balanced, high gain, Fast+Tune2, 55-75 volume depending on background noise) currently while still waiting for 3DT to come back from repair and like them despite they are known for even more forward upper mids/treble. Maybe I need to find a demo sample somewhere and try these with my own ears...
Yep, demoing is always better as everyone is hearing differently and also has different tolerances toward upper mids etc.
Listening longer with W2 and Denon AH-D9200 it's very revealing, almost ethereal but for my taste missing a bit body and impact.
Curious how serious amplification like with C9 will change that but no small footprint afterwards anymore though smallest footprint one can get regarding source for C9 😉

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #3,425 of 5,299
Jul 6, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #3,428 of 5,299
MQA is a snake oil after all.
I have found no value in mixing up my mobile and desktop rigs to support MQA after early deep dive. I may revisit in the future but I suspect that will provide null benefit as my hearing is not improving as I age.

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #3,429 of 5,299
MQA is a snake oil after all.
I don't care about MQA anyway: the most interesting part is bit-perfect playback in native streaming apps on Android besides UAPP as currently it is available only on iOS.

Tidal seems to be the first service to allow it, but strangely only for MQA-enabled DACs even for non-Master, non-MQA plain lossless tracks.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #3,430 of 5,299
Interesting news on bit-perfect mode for native Tidal app: https://darko.audio/2021/07/tidal-is-quietly-rolling-out-a-bit-perfect-android-app/

Looks like it's only available for MQA-enabled DACs so far: I tested it with both S1 and W2 and while S1 shows correct sample rate now, W2 is still stuck with 48/24 only.

Currently enjoying apple music with iPhone and w2 free 6months free. This does interest me since spouse is using Android with the tidal trial. Right now where using bluetooth on the android to hiby r3 pro since haven’t found right cable to use mirco b to c with phone.

After trials end will need to decide what service to keep. I am more the music consumer so leaning toward Apple Music but will give tidal a try before spending money. Apple is cheaper and I don’t really care about MQA since I’ll be using the w2 at least the next few years. I also get much better battery life on iPhone using the built in music player.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #3,432 of 5,299
does anyone have any experience using the w2 with a desktop dedicated headphone amp? 🤔
I was about to test it with A90 but didn't have the right interconnect cables at that point in time.
W2 has been tested with Cayin C9 which is half desktop quality I d say.
As W2 doesn't have true LO you need to set volume to 100 in order to provide the best input signal into your target amp

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #3,433 of 5,299
I was about to test it with A90 but didn't have the right interconnect cables at that point in time.
W2 has been tested with Cayin C9 which is half desktop quality I d say.
As W2 doesn't have true LO you need to set volume to 100 in order to provide the best input signal into your target amp
I'm a bit new, so forgive me for the asking, but what is LO? 😬 And, when you say half desktop quality, do you mean about half the quality of a comparable desktop DAC?

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,434 of 5,299
I'm a bit new, so forgive me for the asking, but what is LO? 😬 And, when you say half desktop quality, do you mean about half the quality of a comparable desktop DAC?
😃 LO = line out = direct signal from DAC to amp
W2 is not providing that option (guess no dongle does) but is amping the DAC signal
This is leading to double amping when connecting to another external amp leading to compromises for SQ.
C9 is battery powered but is providing class A / AB amping.
I'd say it's like the Mercedes of mobile amps.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,435 of 5,299
😃 LO = line out = direct signal from DAC to amp
W2 is not providing that option (guess no dongle does) but is amping the DAC signal
This is leading to double amping when connecting to another external amp leading to compromises for SQ.
C9 is battery powered but is providing class A / AB amping.
I'd say it's like the Mercedes of mobile amps.
Ahh, that makes sense! I didn't realize that that would lead to compromises in sound quality. Thank you for taking me through that. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back