Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #3,031 of 5,297
Btw, did anyone have a positive experience with Type C splitters like this: https://www.promate.net/products/unisplit-c?variant=28566167388225

Looks like a clunky but cheap solution to charge a phone which does not support wireless charge while still listening to music.
I tested 2 different y-USB-c-adapters back in spring and couldn't get any of them to work properly unfortunately
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08RD2XPT3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KPD5S82
IPhone-Y-adapter is working properly though

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,032 of 5,297
Can someone please explain the filters and what they do on a simple level? I realize this can be a complex topic. Does the slow or fast filter cause treble rolloff with a warmer sound? What about LL?

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,033 of 5,297
Jun 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3,034 of 5,297
Can someone please explain the filters and what they do on a simple level? I realize this can be a complex topic. Does the slow or fast filter cause treble rolloff with a warmer sound? What about LL?
In short:
Fast: more edged, detailed for fast paced music
Slow: more rounded bassy
NOS: non over sampling: this one is rolling off as you said most, good for bad recordings like old metal
LL: as far as I remember a short delay and then applying the according filter
Tone: 1 earlier treble rolloff and a tad more sub bass to my ears at the cost of detail, good for modern good recorded music
Tone: 2 full frequency spectrum and high resolution good for classical music but can get tiring potentially depending on the mix

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #3,035 of 5,297

My understanding is that LL stands for Low Latency (that's an assumption, not a fact), so LL should be minimum phase filters (fast and slow roll off), and the ones just displayed fast and slow should be linear phase filters (fast and slow roll off). As FooFigher said, NOS stands for non oversampling, which should be an attempt to recreate the behavior of a non oversampling DAC (which is a trick, true NOS shouldn't be possible in delta-sigma DACs if my understanding is correct).

Linear phase filters could introduce some temporal and pre-ringing artifacts. It's more obvious (to ears) with EQ phase than it is in reconstruction filters : linear phase EQ sounds more natural (more analog I'd say), minimum phase sounds more artificial (digital). If you want to evaluate the temporal delay of linear phase reconstruction and/or EQ, recording a video clap and then re-recording it played with your settings and then opening it with a video editor should give you the delay. Should only be a concern for video playback or live performance.

Fast roll off are better for preserving the FR, and they push ultrasonic noise lower than slow roll-off - more a concern in audio engineering/production than in HiFi.

According to the person at the origin of Tone 1/2, there shouldn't be any impact on frequency response :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-w1-w2-portable-usb-dac-amp.18148/post-746949
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-w1-w2-portable-usb-dac-amp.18148/post-747494

If you're interested for some graphical explanations about reconstruction filters of CS43198, here's the datasheet, digital filters responses start page 122 :
https://statics.cirrus.com/pubs/proDatasheet/CS43198_F1.pdf

Don't hesitate to do your own researches on the subject, I'm no expert, and could have misunderstood some things I reported back.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #3,036 of 5,297
I was never able to distinguish even the slightest change in audio output with those DAC filters. Tried them on different devices like the W2, A&K SE200, Topping E30, DX3. Sound all exactly the same to me :dt880smile:

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #3,037 of 5,297
I was never able to distinguish even the slightest change in audio output with those DAC filters. Tried them on different devices like the W2, A&K SE200, Topping E30, DX3. Sound all exactly the same to me :dt880smile:
I find the tone setting to be most distinguishable combined with slow/NOS vs the rest.
Also might be that the lower voltage IPhone usb connection has a tad more lush and relaxed presentation vs more energetic from Android / PC - which can be a good thing btw, still trying to find out why I liked Traillii on W2 lately so much running from IPhone as I found W2 sometimes a bit too much in upper mids from other sources and now with IPhone it's feeling better

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #3,038 of 5,297
also interested in your impressions vs your TOTL DAPs using Odin and Solaris
In my opinion, the SP2000 outshines the W2, particularly with respect to layering and soundstage. I found this most telling when listening to classical music. But this is not a fair comparison. When deciding on the W2, I compared it to the only other similar sized and similar type usb DAC of interest to me, namely the Lotoo PAW S1. What impressed me about the W2 (hence the purchase), was the sound quality coming from such a small lightweight device.

Re Odin v Solaris, the Odin pair really well with the SP2000. They are extremely well balanced and transparent and have a great soundstage. They are fantastic for classical music. But I can also hear these attributes when using the Odin with the W2. Does this speak well for the Odin or the W2? I reckon it speaks well of both items.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #3,039 of 5,297
In my opinion, the SP2000 outshines the W2, particularly with respect to layering and soundstage. I found this most telling when listening to classical music. But this is not a fair comparison. When deciding on the W2, I compared it to the only other similar sized and similar type usb DAC of interest to me, namely the Lotoo PAW S1. What impressed me about the W2 (hence the purchase), was the sound quality coming from such a small lightweight device.

Re Odin v Solaris, the Odin pair really well with the SP2000. They are extremely well balanced and transparent and have a great soundstage. They are fantastic for classical music. But I can also hear these attributes when using the Odin with the W2. Does this speak well for the Odin or the W2? I reckon it speaks well of both items.

I started with the Odin's in high gain and recently moved to low gain - high gain was a bit too energetic at times, a bit more relaxed to listen to with Low. Plus I find Tune 01 also helps. The W2 signature is for me on the edge of brightness and forwardness I want from a source. For me that is a balance that should work with a diverse range of IEMs.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #3,040 of 5,297
I started with the Odin's in high gain and recently moved to low gain - high gain was a bit too energetic at times, a bit more relaxed to listen to with Low. Plus I fine Tune 01 also helps. The W2 signature is for me on the edge of brightness and forwardness I want from a source. For me that is a balance that should work with a diverse range of IEMs.
+1 for Traillii

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,041 of 5,297
I find the tone setting to be most distinguishable combined with slow/NOS vs the rest.
Also might be that the lower voltage IPhone usb connection has a tad more lush and relaxed presentation vs more energetic from Android / PC - which can be a good thing btw, still trying to find out why I liked Traillii on W2 lately so much running from IPhone as I found W2 sometimes a bit too much in upper mids from other sources and now with IPhone it's feeling better
Do u use the stock lightning to usb c coming with the original package?

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,042 of 5,297
Do u use the stock lightning to usb c coming with the original package?
Honestly these are still packed in the box after my experience with first W2.
Am using ddhifi lightning adapter + ddhifi USB-C combo

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #3,043 of 5,297
Honestly these are still packed in the box after my experience with first W2.
Am using ddhifi lightning adapter + ddhifi USB-C combo
Is this one?

Attachments

• 3A6233B9-CAF9-435F-AA53-0D4D1EC99E2E.png
    3A6233B9-CAF9-435F-AA53-0D4D1EC99E2E.png
    999.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #3,044 of 5,297
Is this one?
I have been using the stock one without any issues, but surely many people choose to use others. :) This DDhifi one seems very popular here.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,045 of 5,297

Attachments

• 58D12D0A-81BE-4165-AEA2-0D1ABFAA5007.png
    58D12D0A-81BE-4165-AEA2-0D1ABFAA5007.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D0BC05BB-8830-4553-856B-26FFBADAC63F.png
    D0BC05BB-8830-4553-856B-26FFBADAC63F.png
    751.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back