Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #841 of 5,299
On my girlfriends iPhone 11 is the same problem.
Though I'd personally switch to high gain + like level 40 instead of low gain with like 80 but anyway this sounds like an issue with your specific device imho as no iPhone W2-owner is encountering same behaviour so far...

Maybe first try refreshing firmware before asking your shop for a replacement.
Some firmware stuff was posted before in the thread...
@bluestorm1992 Guess it's time to link some support material to first page of this thread like current firmware and readme how to install it...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #842 of 5,299
Guys, my W2 arrived an hour ago, hooray.
First of all, the good news: no or negligible EMI at all (iPhone 12 Pro, wifi, cellular network), so twice hooray, I'm excited (with my iPhone, S1 and balanced 4.4 Penon cable it's a huge problem), buuuut ....
Second, the bad news: at higher volumes (approx. 70+ at HIGH, approx. 80+ at LOW) the music is interrupted (every second or shorter, it depends on volume). If I set a lower volume, everything is fine. It depends on the cable I connect to the iPhone, the stock W2 cable is the best of all 3 (the second is Penon USB-C to lightning (approx. 65+ on HIGH, approx. 72 + on LOW) and the third and worst is the Lotoo stock S1 cable (approx. 62 + on HIGH, approx. 67 + on LOW).
On my MacBook, everything seems to be fine, nothing what I described is happened.

Any ideas? Does anyone have the same problem?
Would anyone try it with iPhone?

When I asked Musicteck about the reason behind switching from black to white cables, they got the answer from L&P that apparently cable was updated per "when paired with earphones with an impedance of 32 ohms or more, even if connecting to iPhone or other smartphones with power supply restrictions, the W2 can still reach its maximum volume without breaking the sound. This makes the W2 one of the few DAC-AMP dongles that can achieve maximum drivability on almost any Android/iOS device."

I'm not iPhone owner, but it appears to be some power supply restrictions related to this phone, thus when listening at higher volume you will have to use the included cable for the best performance. I did try W2 with Lotoo S1 cable, no issues, but I was listening to IEMs that don't require volume to be pushed hard.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #843 of 5,299
Guys, hello. I've never been into "portable" hi-fi stuff, always used home DAC+AMP+Full-sized setup and for outdoors I've been using TWS. Today I've decided to try it and ordered W2, so now I'm looking for IEMs to match it. Is there any point in buying anything above 500-1000$ for W2 or it will not reveal their full potential? (Not planning on buying DAP for them anytime soon)
Sure, if you can afford buy a higher end IEM, Empire Ears, etc.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #844 of 5,299
Guys, hello. I've never been into "portable" hi-fi stuff, always used home DAC+AMP+Full-sized setup and for outdoors I've been using TWS. Today I've decided to try it and ordered W2, so now I'm looking for IEMs to match it. Is there any point in buying anything above 500-1000$ for W2 or it will not reveal their full potential? (Not planning on buying DAP for them anytime soon)
I personally don't think there's any point buying iems much above $1k regardless...

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #845 of 5,299
Though I'd personally switch to high gain + like level 40 instead of low gain with like 80 but anyway this sounds like an issue with your specific device imho as no iPhone W2-owner is encountering same behaviour so far...

Maybe first try refreshing firmware before asking your shop for a replacement.
Some firmware stuff was posted before in the thread...
@bluestorm1992 Guess it's time to link some support material to first page of this thread like current firmware and readme how to install it...
All those read.me files are in Chinese, but I guess I can link some FW driver files.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #846 of 5,299
All those read.me files are in Chinese, but I guess I can link some FW driver files.

Maybe we can Google translate / deepl-translate the most essential stuff after you linked the Chinese stuff.

@HiFyAK2020 topic for your manufacturer contact. Most essential support doc must be in English too!

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #847 of 5,299
When I asked Musicteck about the reason behind switching from black to white cables, they got the answer from L&P that apparently cable was updated per "when paired with earphones with an impedance of 32 ohms or more, even if connecting to iPhone or other smartphones with power supply restrictions, the W2 can still reach its maximum volume without breaking the sound. This makes the W2 one of the few DAC-AMP dongles that can achieve maximum drivability on almost any Android/iOS device."

I'm not iPhone owner, but it appears to be some power supply restrictions related to this phone, thus when listening at higher volume you will have to use the included cable for the best performance. I did try W2 with Lotoo S1 cable, no issues, but I was listening to IEMs that don't require volume to be pushed hard.
Looks like it...
My Solaris 2020 Impedance is 15.5 Ohms @ 1kHz.
But even with the stock W2 white cable and my iPhone it doesn't work as it should.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #848 of 5,299
hmm, I really don't know, though I don't like the sound tuning then this dongle can drive Full Size cans with higher impedance without any problem.
I am currently running Tidal with 87 balanced on my Full Size Denons on Low Gain and it's so loud that it works like a small loudspeaker...
no other iPhone owner even with same iPhone model is having same issues.
this is not a general issue if you ask me.
Either
a.) firmware related -> reflash
b.) specific device failure -> replace
c.) Iphone lightning port issue -> I don't think that is the reason as Ales R tried with 2 different iPhones

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #849 of 5,299
Yeah I think you should contact your dealer and see how they respond.

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #850 of 5,299
@Ales R am sorry for your stuttering issue, how do you like SQ though W2 with Solaris as I was always looking at these IEMs too before?
I have asked myself if these may be a bit less in your face than my Andro Golds?
Do you also find them much clearer with bigger stage and better layering compared to S1?
How do the Xelentos sound?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #852 of 5,299
Has anyone looked into connecting the spdif port?
There was no 3,5mm to optical adapter included in the package or have I missed something?
Any recommendations for compatible adapters?

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #853 of 5,299
There was no 3,5mm to optical adapter included in the package or have I missed something?
This one? I know that Fiio used to make such kind of cables called L21.

Edit: I just searched for “3.5 to coax cable” in Amazon and got bunch of results. Not sure which will work best though.

Attachments

• 0A535B2C-EFA3-454A-87FF-7B7786B22A74.png
    0A535B2C-EFA3-454A-87FF-7B7786B22A74.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DCEB1B45-F8C7-4A60-86CD-FF0387D1C352.png
    DCEB1B45-F8C7-4A60-86CD-FF0387D1C352.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #854 of 5,299
@Ales R am sorry for your stuttering issue, how do you like SQ though W2 with Solaris as I was always looking at these IEMs too before?
I have asked myself if these may be a bit less in your face than my Andro Golds?
Do you also find them much clearer with bigger stage and better layering compared to S1?
How do the Xelentos sound?
I have only S1 to compare with W2, but in addition to the stuttering issue is W2 in all way better than S1 (I miss only MQA, master tracks on Tidal are with S1 comparable or even better). W2 little bit bigger stage, blacker background (totally no hiss, first time), better separation with my Solaris and for me crucial thing: no EMI :L3000: , hooray.

Mar 12, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #855 of 5,299

that spdif output is not optical, it is coax/electrical. I don't even think any dap vendors, except for A&K and Cowon, feature optical spdif anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back