Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 11, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #755 of 5,290
You did well if you don't have Windows 7 PC or intend to use MQA files.
Have you installed their Windows 7 driver? They released it in their first FW update package.

Mar 11, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #757 of 5,290
Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #758 of 5,290
Be aware that I have a preference for a warm-ish sound signature and I hate clinical stuff so my impressions will be based on this.

Current DAP & DAC/Amp are all warm, Dethonray's Honey H1, A&K's SR25 and Ikko's Zerda ITM03 the latter being the best bang for buck, stepping on the SR25 toes like nothing else at this price point.

The H1 is the best thing I ever heard out of a DAC/Amp or DAP, by a long stretch.

Alright, very quick first impressions using Gaudio's Clariden which are my latest IEMs and the ones which are the most source-sensitive and scale well.

This is using the beginning of four songs:
  • I Don't Care Anymore - Phil Collins
  • What You Don't Know - Caroline Spence
  • Diamond And Rust + Babe, I'm going to Leave You - Joan Baez
Files are the same, either played via Vox on an iPhone XR or Astell & Kern's A&norma SR25.

Cable is OEAudio Digital Audio Cable Type-C to Lightning -- me no likey the bundled whitey cables.

Quick one on L&P's W2 settings:
  • Tuning 01: gentle, I confirm it's gentler
  • Tuning 02: refine, I confirm it's more refined
These have a clear difference in-between them.
Unless I'll listen to classical music, I'll use Tuning 01 and the following is written with this tuning (Tuning 01 - Gentle) set on the W2.

I've set the W2 to low gain in order to fine tune as much as possible the volume (volume steps are directly on the W2 and is marvelously precise running off an iPhone XR compared to other dongle-type DAC/Amps).

Now, compared to the SR25, the W2 set in "Slow Roll-Off" or "Low-latency Slow Roll-Off" are is the closest to the SR25, as in very close. The W2 seems a tad more precise with a more controlled low-end but not by a huge margin.

Soundstage and amount of air are honestly very close with no night and day difference, perhaps it's the SR25 which has more, no perhaps it's the W2, actually, perhaps, it is... you get it, it's that close.

At this price point, one can't ignore the W2 compared to a DAP such as Astell & Kern A&norma's SR25, and while I won't touch the EQ (don't like EQs), I'm happy with the two tunings together with the filters which allow to get what ones want.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #760 of 5,290
While I think SR25 is a great player I had to send it back because it had too high output impedance on my Andro Golds making them lack bass and body.
With W2 that's not the case.
It has the clarity I was missing on the S1 while not lacking the bass and body.
Tuning as mentioned is indeed forward into your face, that can be good or bad depending on the song or your liking.
Andro Golds are themselves into your face, this tendency is supported by the W2, this now sounds like a good car stereo when you select the according tracks
RnB style is absolutely stunning, though not my style usually but there you have holography, clarity and stunning clear low end kick bass.
So S1 is the more relaxed combo but for me not revealing enough.
I will play around more with the different filter settings...

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #761 of 5,290
Ok, first of all this is a nice USB dongle and the quality is flawless just like on the S1. You will see in the attached photos how it does compare to S1 size wise.
1.jpg
2.jpg4.jpg
Not a big fan of the included cables as they remind me of the iPod earphones, but so far so good they do the job.
S1 is 26 gr
W2 is 22 gr, so not only lighter but a bit more compact.

5.jpg
Both dongles are nice and is hard to recommend one over the other. If you need MQA and you don't have hard to drive earphones then choose S1, If you want more power and a better overall sound then W2 would be worth thinking about. Before i describe the sound it should be noted that the W2 does not work! !! with older windows computers. I am using a windows 7 64 Bit laptop and the W2 is discovered in the settings but there is no sound . So unless L&P doesn't fix this, other gadgets may not work, game consoles, etc.
I am disappointed to be honest as i was planning to use it with the laptop also.
I am sure it will work with windows 10 but i cannot test that. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware as they did with the S1 and introduced the UAC1 mode.

The sound:
Now to my ears the W2 is far superior to the S1 . Not only it has more power, but the bass is more defined,and goes deeper , you get a much wider stage and the clarity of the voices is a step ahead of S1. Overall the sound if fuller, and more live if that makes sense. S1 is more intimate, relaxed sound. where the W2 is more in your face with a powerful sound. For such a small usb dac dongle i am very impressed.
Not much i can add at this time as this is based on not very long sound impression. I know many need and listen to MQA, W2 doesn't have it. As for me i am fine with that, because the sound is far superior then the already great S1.
I want only 2 things from L&P to make this perfect usb dongle dac for me:
1. fix the problem and make it work with older usb devices
2.release asap a high quality silicone case as the S1 has to protect this little punchy beauty.
L&P didn't mention but the burn in may improve futher the already awesome sound, if you belive in that.7.jpg
Thanks for the review!

Can I clarify, for this portion " clarity of the voices is a step ahead of S1. Overall the sound if fuller, and more live if that makes sense. S1 is more intimate, relaxed sound. where the W2 is more in your face with a powerful sound."

clarity of the voices (is there a preference towards female vocals rather than male?) is a step ahead of S1. Overall the sound is fuller (tighter, meatier sounding mids and bass?), and more live if that makes sense. S1 is more intimate (more forward mids?) , relaxed sound (more warmth/less treble?) while W2 is more in your face (more forward treble or more aggressive sounding?).

Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions :clap:

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #762 of 5,290
For me upper mids are more forward causing this into your face feeling
Upper high registers more airy and accentuated.
Bass is defined and layered.
Overall I think yes, S1 is a bit warmer, more veiled in direct comparison with less accentuated upper mids and less airy high tones

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #763 of 5,290
Sorry about my simple explanation about the clarity of the voices in the W2. Certainly I do not have a preference between female or male, I just like them both. Yes the S1 has more forward miss, and the overall sound of W2 is tighter, meatier and denser. On the Lotoo the sound is like on a quality recording while on the L&P the sound is live, it plays by a professional band especially for you.
So basically the S1 it will be a Paw 6000 and W2 a LPGT.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #764 of 5,290
Live concert feeling on W2 vs lush background music on S1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back