Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #4,937 of 5,299
I could be wrong but....... I feel like the dongle hyper train is slowing down a little bit (that or over saturate).

Now the next trend is tiny desktop usb dac/amp. For example like Topping DX1, iFi Uno.....etc.

Granted they don't fit the exact same purpose generally, but I was using dongles as desktop units before LOL.
I have a Mojo2, several dongles, and a DAP - more than enough and more fun as it can be mixed. Unless I can fork out $15,000, I am not getting a desktop rig. However, I agree with you - seems a few have moved on as the "peak" for a dongle has been achieved.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #4,938 of 5,299
I have a Mojo2, several dongles, and a DAP - more than enough and more fun as it can be mixed. Unless I can fork out $15,000, I am not getting a desktop rig. However, I agree with you - seems a few have moved on as the "peak" for a dongle has been achieved.
Yeah I think around the time M15 and iFi Go Bar came out it was probably the final peak before things all cooling down. After that there has been a few cheaper dongles here and there but nothing that really stood out.

But prior to that I did use Dragonfly Red, PEE51, RU6, W2, W2-131, and I also had Mojo 2 at 1 point using desktop mode as my desktop setup haha.

I think it makes sense as dongles are meant to go with the loss of 3.5 mm jack on cellphone, and now the tiny desktop dac/amp trend falls with the everyone "work from home" trend. It's trying to bring in new user base and introduce products to people that aren't normally audiophiles.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #4,939 of 5,299
Yeah I think around the time M15 and iFi Go Bar came out it was probably the final peak before things all cooling down. After that there has been a few cheaper dongles here and there but nothing that really stood out.

But prior to that I did use Dragonfly Red, PEE51, RU6, W2, W2-131, and I also had Mojo 2 at 1 point using desktop mode as my desktop setup haha.

I think it makes sense as dongles are meant to go with the loss of 3.5 mm jack on cellphone, and now the tiny desktop dac/amp trend falls with the everyone "work from home" trend. It's trying to bring in new user base and introduce products to people that aren't normally audiophiles.
RU6, W2 and PAW 2 here as well and the latest gold Walkman more or less all used at home

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #4,940 of 5,299
I have my desktop setup and HP setup and DAP but the W2 still has its place for me when traveling and bringing a DAP does not make sense. I used different 3.5 dongles and Mojo and I waited until a dongle came out with 4.4mm and two chips before I joined the balanced dongle train. The S2 was too warm for me. The W2 sounds excellent and detailed enough to me. Yes it is a step down from a good desktop setup or a really good DAP but that is to be expected. For me what is important is that I am enjoying the sound and I feel like I am not missing enough quality to be annoyed. For me that says a lot for a little device to do.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #4,941 of 5,299
Can't speak for everyone, but for me BT receiver is a much more attractive on the go option than wired to the phone dongle.
FiiO BTR7 is a nice alternative that can also serve as a portable desktop USB DAC/AMP with some serious for its size juice.
Still have W2, but don't remember last time I've used it after getting BTR7.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #4,942 of 5,299

I cannot imagine paying $15k for a desktop stack, especially when the Topping DX3 Pro+ or the Fiio K7 DAC/Amps are available for $200, or for driving any set of cans, possibly the Topping L70/E70 DAC-Amp stack is available for $700…

… $15k… seriously?

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #4,943 of 5,299
Decent desktop setup will single handedly outperform any portable dongle, doesn't mean you need to shell out $15K for it, there are plenty of good options in any price range.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #4,944 of 5,299
I cannot imagine paying $15k for a desktop stack, especially when the Topping DX3 Pro+ or the Fiio K7 DAC/Amps are available for $200, or for driving any set of cans, possibly the Topping L70/E70 DAC-Amp stack is available for $700…

… $15k… seriously?
What I have now is more than enough is the point, and if I wanted something good-looking/full-blown "furniture," like DAC/AMPs, Somewhere to store my music, etc., I'd have to buy stand/cable management, etc., or it looks like I am single... Now it's a few dongles and cables/IEMs etc, I can pack away.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #4,945 of 5,299

… $15k… seriously?
lol yeah maybe $15k is a bit overkill.

But I did get to try FiiO K7 recently and was really excited to try it since it's been receiving so much glowing reviews!!! And....... it was kind of........ very normal sounding......???????? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I think linear / neutral gear is not to my taste anymore, I've been using Modi Multibit 2 (R2R dac) and Lyr 3 / Project Solstice (hybrid tube amp). Also bought Magni Piety recently too. Everything in my chain colors the sound LOL.

They need a tube dongle or something LOL.
Decent desktop setup will single handedly outperform any portable dongle, doesn't mean you need to shell out $15K for it, there are plenty of good options in any price range.
Yeah definitely agree, I think there's definitely good setup at any price range but also depending on taste/preference too.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #4,946 of 5,299
lol yeah maybe $15k is a bit overkill.

But I did get to try FiiO K7 recently and was really excited to try it since it's been receiving so much glowing reviews!!! And....... it was kind of........ very normal sounding......???????? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Personally, I depend on the DAC+Amp being neutral. It’s my headphones and IEMs that I depend on for the “fun”…

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #4,947 of 5,299
Personally, I depend on the DAC+Amp being neutral. It’s my headphones and IEMs that I depend on for the “fun”…
I definitely agree, I think most people approach it that way. I'm just the odd ball lol.

Modi Multibit 2 + Project Solstice + Lawton TH900 = Complicated Math Problem :laughing:

Might explain why I could never find any dongle colored enough for my taste.

Jan 21, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #4,948 of 5,299
I could be wrong but....... I feel like the dongle hyper train is slowing down a little bit (that or over saturate).

Now the next trend is tiny desktop usb dac/amp. For example like Topping DX1, iFi Uno.....etc.

Granted they don't fit the exact same purpose generally, but I was using dongles as desktop units before LOL.
You could be wrong or you could be right. I use my W2 everyday and I like it very much. I think there is more room for improvement in the near future for USB DACs. More powerful and even lower power consumption. Anyway I don't think they will disappear and we shall see new ones with better more complicated design from L&W , Lotoo etc. ( I hope ).

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #4,949 of 5,299
lpw2's vocal sound level is comparable to a $1000 level DAC.
further better immediately stationary DAC for 2000))) or for this money second hand - DAC, amplifier, acoustics))). don't forget to understand the sound quality of lpw2, also need headphones that cost ~ $ 1000. truth. in my opinion.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #4,950 of 5,299
lpw2's vocal sound level is comparable to a $1000 level DAC.
further better immediately stationary DAC for 2000))) or for this money second hand - DAC, amplifier, acoustics))). don't forget to understand the sound quality of lpw2, also need headphones that cost ~ $ 1000. truth. in my opinion.
Now write again and explain what you tried to say above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back