Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 13, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,106 of 5,299
I understand your concern about running a virtual machine on your OS, but is it justified ? (again, I'm no mac user, so I can't say for sure it's perfectly harmless for your OS, even if I'd be very surprised to hear it's not - VM are mainly designed to be a sandbox which main purpose is indeed to preserve your OS - Virtualbox is opensource)
An unregistered windows should be perfectly fine to do your update.
I totally agree with the last part.
Have you read my previous post edit ?
Thanks I was under the impression that I need to buy a windows 10 product key to do update. Of course now I scared because of below comment. Thanks all for the help lots to consider on best course of action. Still don't under stand why it's so hard to do something like the lotoo paw s1. Hopefully in time they will fix issue.
Ok enough complaining, I been using Apple music and the w2 shines with the high res and starting to like the Dolby atoms. Really depends on the mixing but its fun to listen to songs in a new light. Thought the mix of riders on the storm and thunder aspect of it was interesting.
I have no concern running a Hypervisor but I don’t need it and I don’t want it. I used VMware Fusion as well as Parallels for many years in the past because there was one or the other Windows program I needed to use. So I even own two Windowas 10 licenses. That’s the past and today I have no more reason to run Windows and I’m a person who wants to keep his OS clean. The VM is a sandbox, I agree, but the Hypervisor is not. LIke I said, it creeps deep into your OS, messing with the network stack etc. and you will maybe never get 100% rid of the stuff that gets installed.

I’m just not willing to do this for a dongle update. It’s that easy :)

I read your edit and I agree with you to some degree. I don’t know if I even necessarily need the latest fw update. I don’t mind the eq settings, there is „asynchronous USB“ support now (also, don’t know if I need this or even can take advantage of it with ios devices). Still, many times fw updates bring also little bug fixes that don’t get mentioned in the “what’s new section“ and I like being on the current version. It’s that easy again :)

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #3,107 of 5,299
Thanks I was under the impression that I need to buy a windows 10 product key to do update. Of course now I scared because of below comment. Thanks all for the help lots to consider on best course of action. Still don't under stand why it's so hard to do something like the lotoo paw s1. Hopefully in time they will fix issue.
Ok enough complaining, I been using Apple music and the w2 shines with the high res and starting to like the Dolby atoms. Really depends on the mixing but its fun to listen to songs in a new light. Thought the mix of riders on the storm and thunder aspect of it was interesting.
I think S1’s approach requires making the device as a usb disk, which then requires a decent internal storage and some extra hardware.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #3,108 of 5,299
I have the W2 and IE900. Pairing sounds very good. @Scuba Devils was the one who originally said this worked and I bought both devices based on his suggestion in the IE900 thread. Personally, I think the IE900 sounds great with anything.

Jun 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #3,109 of 5,299
Find this IE900 very interesting, sounds a bit like a very good jack of all trades like a cheaper Traillii, could make it into top 10 of price value paired with W2.
Haven't listened to it myself but based on the feedback I read and knowing people who sold their >2k IEMs like Elysium in favor of IE900

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #3,110 of 5,299
Please, don’t be. I am really overly picky when it comes to install stuff on my computer. Sorry if I spread uncertainty about this topic and @0RF30 is right - there is no problem using VirtualBox. I also checked the web regarding uninstalling the hypervisor (VirtualBox software) and there seems to be a good uninstall script / uninstall option in the dmg that removes the whole thing, if needed.

Again, running a virtualization software is nowhere a problem today, the opposite is the case. I am just very picky and I don’t like the fact that I have to do this just for one single purpose. That’s all and you’re good to go!!! :beerchug:

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #3,111 of 5,299
@0RF30
Conclusion: Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks.
You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns.
One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long.
One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup.
Check for BIOS updates.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #3,112 of 5,299
Thanks all for the informative thread. I’m about to get dongle DAC but have some questions that I hope to get resolved before I commit to a product I haven’t auditioned. What about doing firmware updates for the W2 on a Mac using Windows 10 in Bootcamp? Can someone verify this will work? Also, I’m wondering if I should just opt for the W1 instead of the W2 for my U12t using my iPhone and Apple Music lossless as a source, to avoid the volume drop out issues. Will I be missing detail or texture due to only one DAC chip? Or will capping the volume at 70% and using high gain on the W2 still allow for adequate headroom and not make my U12t iems sound bad? Thanks for any advice.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,113 of 5,299
Thanks all for the informative thread. I’m about to get dongle DAC but have some questions that I hope to get resolved before I commit to a product I haven’t auditioned. What about doing firmware updates for the W2 on a Mac using Windows 10 in Bootcamp? Can someone verify this will work? Also, I’m wondering if I should just opt for the W1 instead of the W2 for my U12t using my iPhone and Apple Music lossless as a source, to avoid the volume drop out issues. Will I be missing detail or texture due to only one DAC chip? Or will capping the volume at 70% and using high gain on the W2 still allow for adequate headroom and not make my U12t iems sound bad? Thanks for any advice.
12,6 Ohms - not even sure if you are endangered regarding clipping.
Have you read that in this thread before with your specific IEMS?
All the ones I am aware of like my former Andro Golds with 4 Ohms were below 10 Ohms...
I d personally go for W2 - I enjoyed it also with my Andro Golds and could never reach clipping loudness without destroying my ears.
It has been reported many times in this thread to have more detail than W1 as far as I remember but could personally not compare both of them.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #3,114 of 5,299

FW update will definitely work with Bootcamp and I think you will be fine with the W2. It has plenty power and I can’t imagine an IEM that allows for a volume over 70 in high gain without destroying your hearing forever.

On the other hand, the W1 is also a great choice, for sure. I opted for the W2 despite being an iPhone owner because I wanted to get the best measured device for my IEMs. Still, I am sure I wouldn’t be able to tell any difference between the W1 and W2.

Jun 13, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,115 of 5,299
12,6 Ohms - not even sure if you are endangered regarding clipping.
Have you read that in this thread before with your specific IEMS?
All the ones I am aware of like my former Andro Golds with 4 Ohms were below 10 Ohms...
I d personally go for W2 - I enjoyed it also with my Andro Golds and could never reach clipping loudness without destroying my ears.
It has been reported many times in this thread to have more detail than W1 as far as I remember but could personally not compare both of them.

FWIW, my EE LX has 14 Ohms and I can’t go higher than 60 in low gain. My normal listening volume is below 50 in low gain.

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #3,118 of 5,299
@0RF30
Conclusion: Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks.
You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns.
One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long.
One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup.
Check for BIOS updates.
What's your MB brand, chipset and model ? Did you install drivers (lan, chipset, soundacard mostly) from another source than your MB manufacturer (specific page for your product) or microsoft update ? (I'm thinking of drivers autodetection sites/softs mostly, or directly intel site for chipset and lan, or directly realtek for soundcard) ?
If yes, uninstall them and let microsoft auto apply his drivers, see if the problem is still present. If everything's good (an even if it's not), you can try to install one by one (with test each time) the drivers recommended on your MB manufacturer/model page.
Could you please next time do a screenshot of the diver tab in latencymon with descendant (is it correct in English ? - inverse order) highest execution, and one with descendant highest DPC count ?
Could be CPU throttling or power management, but usually it's a driver issue.
And, even if you're not experiencing audible artifacts in these cases, could you check if the audio playback issue report from latencymon also happens when you
a. listen to music and browsing at the same
time with W2
b. are watching videos from a video player with W2
c. listen to music with and browsing at the same
time with your soundcard output after uninstalling W2 driver
d. are watching videos from a video player with your soundcard output after uninstalling W2 driver

I own both, I certainly can tell the difference, go for W2, no hesitation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back