Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 30, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #2,791 of 5,299
Alex, wdyt about the previously reported distortion issue appearing with sensitive IEMs against W2/IPhone - you reported it yourself as far as I remember and I cannot verify anymore as I sold my Andro Golds meanwhile:
is it
a) likely to be solved by better cables (refer to latest discussed Penon / ddhifi cables)
b) only related to the relation of voltage and impedance thus
1. doesn't matter which USB cable you need
2. just need an IEM of I don't know above 10 Ohms or so
3. different USB cable is only useful for its different flexibility for bending and wrapping around the source player respectively superior port so not as easily disconnecting as the stock usb cable?
Thx!

Distortion with sensitive iems connected to W2? I don't recall writing about it before, do you have a link? I just tried Solaris '20 and it is dead quiet from 4.4mm output at high gain with my Galaxy S9 phone. No issues here.

Or are you referring to choppy performance with volume clipping when connected to iPhone? That I did confirm with stock usb-c to lightning cable connected to my daughter's iPhone 11 with a volume over 70 when W2 draws excess of 120-130mA, causing iPhone to cut the supply of current to W2, which is an expected behavior. This is not an issue with Android phones or when connected to laptop, only iPhone limitation. And I don't have any other usb-c to lightning cables to test.

May 30, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #2,792 of 5,299
Distortion with sensitive iems connected to W2? I don't recall writing about it before, do you have a link? I just tried Solaris '20 and it is dead quiet from 4.4mm output at high gain with my Galaxy S9 phone. No issues here.

Or are you referring to choppy performance with volume clipping when connected to iPhone? That I did confirm with stock usb-c to lightning cable connected to my daughter's iPhone 11 with a volume over 70 when W2 draws excess of 120-130mA, causing iPhone to cut the supply of current to W2, which is an expected behavior. This is not an issue with Android phones or when connected to laptop, only iPhone limitation. And I don't have any other usb-c to lightning cables to test.
Thx for your quick feedback - I meant clipping, sorry for my bad wording.
So the question is still open if that is fixed by better cables on same source platform
I myself haven't encountered it with my remaining IEMs anymore using ddhifi cables

May 30, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,793 of 5,299
Thx for your quick feedback - I meant clipping, sorry for my bad wording.
So the question is still open if that is fixed by better cables on same source platform
I myself haven't encountered it with my remaining IEMs anymore using ddhifi cables

So, you tested W2 with your iPhone using stock white cable and ddhifi replacement cable, and problem went away with ddhifi cable (usb-c to lightning) so you can raise the volume high, over 70 or 80, and no clipping in sound?

May 30, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #2,794 of 5,299
So, you tested W2 with your iPhone using stock white cable and ddhifi replacement cable, and problem went away with ddhifi cable (usb-c to lightning) so you can raise the volume high, over 70 or 80, and no clipping in sound?
No, I tested with the stock cables with my first W2 and Andro Golds and now having sold the Andro Golds cannot verify that behavior anymore with my new IEMs and new W2 but it was very often discussed in this thread with even measurement references that different USB cables lead to different voltage distributions.
I am out here as I am no technical engineer...

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,795 of 5,299
No, I tested with the stock cables with my first W2 and Andro Golds and now having sold the Andro Golds cannot verify that behavior anymore with my new IEMs and new W2 but it was very often discussed in this thread with even measurement references that different USB cables lead to different voltage distributions.
I am out here as I am no technical engineer...
Sorry, can I just clarify, did you say that your Andro Golds were clipping from your W2?

I have sold my Andro Golds but I didn’t experience any issues with them from W2 running out of iPhone 12 Pro Max and stock Lightning to USB-C cable. Mind you, I didn’t raise the volume above 30 in low gain.

Does the issue only occur at higher volume?

May 30, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #2,796 of 5,299
Can the issue be worked around reliably by setting the iPhone volume a certian way?

I thought all 3rd party lightning connectors were unreliable and eventually get detected and rejected by iPhone's?

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #2,797 of 5,299
Sorry, can I just clarify, did you say that your Andro Golds were clipping from your W2?

I have sold my Andro Golds but I didn’t experience any issues with them from W2 running out of iPhone 12 Pro Max and stock Lightning to USB-C cable. Mind you, I didn’t raise the volume above 30 in low gain.

Does the issue only occur at higher volume?
Correct, at around 80 which no one with such sensitive IEMs will ever reach.
I just wanted this topic to be confirmed and verified once and for all that
1. there are such issues of clipping (which is 1 symptom of the IPhone voltage restriction besides potentially others which would sound logical with lower voltage like you have more headroom using a stronger amp etc)
2. This
a) works as designed and cannot be mitigated besides using Android
b) can be mitigated e.g by using different cables

May 30, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #2,798 of 5,299
Congrats
Interesting point about "enhancing sound beyond its actual recording".
Though hard to verify if you don't have a real master setup to compare against?
Also imho it really matters which headphone / IEM you pair with like the usual rule pair bright with warm etc...
True, you're right as these impressions are definitely subjective, but I couldn't help but felt that M8 does some "makeup" to the sound... and I much prefer natural beauty usually, be it girls or music :)
Well, I didn't intent to buy DX300 right away but could actually leave the shop with it in my pocket (BTW, it's actually more pocketable than I expected based on reviews) if excessive heat and battery drain wouldn't stop me and save my funds.

UPD: IEMs/HPs used were Atlas, Z5, Cascade and FD5 while my beloved 3DT is on its way back to UM to get repaired, I also had a chance to try U12t and IT07.

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,799 of 5,299
True, you're right as these impressions are definitely subjective, but I couldn't help but felt that M8 does some "makeup" to the sound... and I much prefer natural beauty usually, be it girls or music :)
Well, I didn't intent to buy DX300 right away but could actually leave the shop with it in my pocket (BTW, it's actually more pocketable than I expected based on reviews) if excessive heat and battery drain wouldn't stop me and save my funds.
Actually from its technicalities I preferred DX300 eyes closed, better battery (guess you were just unlucky), better screen, faster, stable software, changeable amp modules...
I just didn't like it's signature compared to M8, maybe I was also biased after DX220 Max which is still my personal highlight in terms of dynamics, revealing and reference SQ over all DAPs/DACs I have listened to so far but wanted something different, more musical and lush sounding especially for Rock, Metal and vocals, smooth Jazz etc

May 30, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #2,800 of 5,299
Actually from its technicalities I preferred DX300 eyes closed, better battery (guess you were just unlucky), better screen, faster, stable software, changeable amp modules...
I just didn't like it's signature compared to M8, maybe I was also biased after DX220 Max which is still my personal highlight in terms of dynamics, revealing and reference SQ over all DAPs/DACs I have listened to so far but wanted something different, more musical and lush sounding especially for Rock, Metal and vocals, smooth Jazz etc
It might definitely be a pairing issue in my case as the majority of my stuff is warm already. That's why I asked for FD5 demo sample which is quite neutral and much closer to 3DT but still felt that M8 was "too much" and "grandeur" for many tracks including jazz and classic rock ones while I definitely prefer something calmer and more intimate yet with proper power and authority.

May 30, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,801 of 5,299
May 31, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,802 of 5,299
Listening to W2 on Macbook with Audirvana/Tidal Traillii after a long time I realise that I got used to the smooth signature of M8.
W2 is definitely very honest and revealing regarding the recording.
E.g. Theater of Tragedy album is not so much enjoyable on W2 for my taste, M8 definitely helps to bring more organic and lush signature to such recordings.
W2 is striking direct also in upper mids where some people react a bit sensitive.
if the recording fits on the other hand it's nice to have this forward tuning to get a very nice ethereal live feeling with nice sub bass impact
E.g. Nils Wülker - Decade Live for more smooth relaxing experience
or more fancy effects with Tenet - Original Motion Soundtrack

May 31, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #2,803 of 5,299
Listening to W2 on Macbook with Audirvana/Tidal Traillii after a long time I realise that I got used to the smooth signature of M8.
W2 is definitely very honest and revealing regarding the recording.
E.g. Theater of Tragedy album is not so much enjoyable on W2 for my taste, M8 definitely helps to bring more organic and lush signature to such recordings.
W2 is striking direct also in upper mids where some people react a bit sensitive.
if the recording fits on the other hand it's nice to have this forward tuning to get a very nice ethereal live feeling with nice sub bass impact
E.g. Nils Wülker - Decade Live for more smooth relaxing experience
or more fancy effects with Tenet - Original Motion Soundtrack
Well resonates with my yesterday DX300/M8 comparison (in case I'm right and W2 is closer to DX300 using the same DAC chips than to M8), latter being more polished, lush and "fluid" while former being closer to the initial record and natural, which might be good or not depending on record and IEM pairings.

Well get my hands on W2 this weekend to prove whether this assumption is right or wrong.

May 31, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #2,804 of 5,299
Well resonates with my yesterday DX300/M8 comparison (in case I'm right and W2 is closer to DX300 using the same DAC chips than to M8), latter being more polished, lush and "fluid" while former being closer to the initial record and natural, which might be good or not depending on record and IEM pairings.

Well get my hands on W2 this weekend to prove whether this assumption is right or wrong.
From my memory also DX300 is more relaxed than W2 but not as smooth as M8.
I feel like it's a mix of both.
Let us know your findings.
Edit: will listen to same tracks with W2 hooked to M8 later - am now also curious regarding mixing signature of different sources

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #2,805 of 5,299
From my memory also DX300 is more relaxed than W2 but not as smooth as M8.
I feel like it's a mix of both.
Let us know your findings
Sure. I liked DX300 sound signature a lot actually, will start to save the funds while MK2 version is not available at local official dealer yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back