Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 5, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #2,281 of 5,299
Nice! Can you relink it - i know there were a few banded around, so a bit lost on which one this is!

There is only one manufacturer for the W1/W2 case in China right now (*don't think there is that enough W1/W2 sold to warrant a second case maker anyway), so regardless of which retailer you get it from, it will probably going to be exactly the same case.

May 5, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #2,282 of 5,299
It is a rule of thumb that you always set the digital volume on the source to max and use the volume control on the last device (usually the DAC/amp) in the chain to control volume.

Also, you won't be able to get 4V / 4.4V out of W2 since the maximum voltage output it has (*high gain) is only around 1.45Vrms for balanced output and about half of that for single-ended output. My suggestion to you is to max out both smartphone and W2 volume, then use the volume control on the amp to control volume, if you want to double amp. If your power amp doesn't have a volume control, then use W2's. If you can't get loud enough volume however, you'll probably need a pre-amp / gain stage between W2 and the power amp.
I was way off on that 4 volt comment. Only robust desktop amps can put that kind of power out. I think I was confusing it with line out levels from dedicated sources like CD players. That said, now that I have removed my foot from my mouth, can I ask how is the volume adjusted on this. My Sparrow doesn't have any volume adjustments (it better not or I'm going to look the fool again) so all volume adjustment is done with my phone. It sounds like the W1 and W2 do have a volume adjustment, depending on that HID setting that was discussed earlier. So my question is how do you adjust it? Are there buttons on the W1 and W2? Are they just for volume or are there other controls? Thanks again in advance

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #2,284 of 5,299
I was way off on that 4 volt comment. Only robust desktop amps can put that kind of power out. I think I was confusing it with line out levels from dedicated sources like CD players. That said, now that I have removed my foot from my mouth, can I ask how is the volume adjusted on this. My Sparrow doesn't have any volume adjustments (it better not or I'm going to look the fool again) so all volume adjustment is done with my phone. It sounds like the W1 and W2 do have a volume adjustment, depending on that HID setting that was discussed earlier. So my question is how do you adjust it? Are there buttons on the W1 and W2? Are they just for volume or are there other controls? Thanks again in advance

With HID on, W1/W2 hardware volume will automatically set to max (Vol 100) while you can control volume digitally via your smartphone. However, doing so might degrade SQ as digital volume adjusts volume by cutting out bit depth (*the lower the volume you set, the more bit depth you will lose). With HID off, both your smartphone as well as W1/W2 volume can be used independently - if you want to use them normally, I'll suggest you set the HID off, then max out the smartphone volume (*thus no bit depth loss) and control the volume on W1/W2 via its hardware bottoms (*located on its side). For double amping, set both smartphone and W1/W2 volume to max, and control volume via the external amp.

May 6, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,288 of 5,299
In other news, I signed up for Qobuz to trial the W2 with hi-res in lieu of MQA (I'm currently on tidal). And I have to say, it is pretty damn good with lots of the stuff i listen to in hi-res. With the price difference, I am very likely now to switch. Just one annoyance I've just ranted in the qobuz thread - you cannot sort your favourite releases by the actual release date, which is bloody annoying!

May 6, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,289 of 5,299
It is a rule of thumb that you always set the digital volume on the source to max and use the volume control on the last device (usually the DAC/amp) in the chain to control volume.

Also, you won't be able to get 4V / 4.4V out of W2 since the maximum voltage output it has (*high gain) is only around 1.45Vrms for balanced output and about half of that for single-ended output. My suggestion to you is to max out both smartphone and W2 volume, then use the volume control on the amp to control volume, if you want to double amp. If your power amp doesn't have a volume control, then use W2's. If you can't get loud enough volume however, you'll probably need a pre-amp / gain stage between W2 and the power amp.
Its rms voltage seems like just over 4 Vrms on balance output; see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-precision-w1-w2-portable-usb-dac-amp.18148/

What am I missing?

May 6, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #2,290 of 5,299
Its rms voltage seems like just over 4 Vrms on balance output; see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-precision-w1-w2-portable-usb-dac-amp.18148/

What am I missing?

I measured mine from with a smartphone source, didn't tried it on PC yet (*which I assumed is what L7AudioLabs used as AP measurement usually need to run from a PC source).

p/s: just did - yep, it can go up to 3.9V on my PC. I suspect W1/W2 automatically limits their output voltage with a portable source as current supply is limited.

May 6, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,291 of 5,299
I just received my W2 but can't get Windows 7 to install the driver. Does anyone have a driver? I thought it might be W2 firmware but since it just arrived and should be the newest, I don't think it will be the issue. In addition, when using usb-c out from my phone (LG v50 thinQ) the phone is forcing me to say yes to "raising volume to levels which may damage hearing" Is that normal? Thanks!

May 6, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #2,292 of 5,299
I just received my W2 but can't get Windows 7 to install the driver. Does anyone have a driver? I thought it might be W2 firmware but since it just arrived and should be the newest, I don't think it will be the issue. In addition, when using usb-c out from my phone (LG v50 thinQ) the phone is forcing me to say yes to "raising volume to levels which may damage hearing" Is that normal? Thanks!
Sorry I can't help with the firmware question but if I had a dollar for every time I've been warned about raising the volume level, I'd be about 50 bucks richer. Enough to buy a couple bottles of tequila anyway

May 7, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #2,293 of 5,299
.... In addition, when using usb-c out from my phone (LG v50 thinQ) the phone is forcing me to say yes to "raising volume to levels which may damage hearing" Is that normal? Thanks!

Same reason why every McDonald's coffee cup has a warning of `Caution: Contents Hot' - so you can't sue them for actual hearing damage that you have did to yourself.

May 7, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #2,294 of 5,299
Thanks! I've set my phone volume to max now ignoring the warning and change the volume instead from the W2.

May 7, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #2,295 of 5,299
PM your email address to send you what you need.
Edit : email sent, let me know if it works for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back