Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 22, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #1,337 of 5,297
Mar 22, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,338 of 5,297
Alright, I know this is pushing the envelope but I'm genuinely curious: anyone here got to compare the W2 with Astell & Kern's SE200?
I think it is not too far behind even compared to SP2000! :smiley:

With SP2000 you get better performance in every aspect of the music, but for W2 I don’t feel that there is something that is really day-and-night falling behind that prevents me from enjoying the music. Plus, I slightly prefer LP’s house sound of organic and sweet to AK’s sound signature.

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #1,340 of 5,297
I think it is not too far behind even compared to SP2000! :smiley:

With SP2000 you get better performance in every aspect of the music, but for W2 I don’t feel that there is something that is really day-and-night falling behind that prevents me from enjoying the music. Plus, I slightly prefer LP’s house sound of organic and sweet to AK’s sound signature.
Thanks — I'm eyeing the SE200, but for it ESS output (among other things).

AKM's output usually aren't my thing as they tend to be… too much.

However, the more time I spend with the W2 the more I prefer my SR25.

The W2 draws a lot of power from my iPhone XR in high gain / volume 63.

It's still very competitively priced compared to an SR25 as well as more flexible though.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #1,341 of 5,297
Thanks — I'm eyeing the SE200, but for it ESS output (among other things).

AKM's output usually aren't my thing as they tend to be… too much.

However, the more time I spend with the W2 the more I prefer my SR25.

The W2 draws a lot of power from my iPhone XR in high gain / volume 63.

It's still very competitively priced compared to an SR25 as well as more flexible though.
Yes power consumption is definitely an issue for these small dongle, and a clear advantage from using dedicated DAPs.

I have mostly been using my W2 with my laptop or IPad, so power consumption is not that of an issue. :)

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,342 of 5,297
Yep, I also suppose huge performance also needs some power.
Looking at batteries of comparable SQ-DAPs, you can see what is required usually...
As my TOTL DAP is currently being repaired I am exclusively using W2 in home office and here using IPAD/Macbook only too...
For later mobile usage I am still wondering if battery live will be an issue depending on how long I am on the go.
For that e.g. a battery case might be a solution with the smallest footprint, e.g. iPhone 11 Pro Max Battery Case 4800mAh, Wireless Charging & Lightning Headphone Supported, Portable Charger Case Fully Sealed Rugged Case for iPhone 11 Pro Max, 6.5 Inch or similar products
Alternatively Y-adapter with power bank attached but bigger footprint...

Generally I want to add that I think this adapter performs best with sensitive to average sensitive IEMs which you can run balanced on low gain and thereby saving power but deliver superior performance.
I wouldn't drive Full Size Cans with it but on the other hand I know other full size DAPs also running on high gain at 75% to drive e.g. planars so that might not be an issue for performance in general, just wondering in how far the built in OP amp is getting it its limits then.

Hearing that 100% volume at high gain is tolerable to simulate a line out port, seems to indicate this max volume setting is not a real bottleneck.
Still curious about the pairing with a mobile amp with fixed gain, thus not needing to crank W2's volume up to max.
My new BA300S is still on its way to me...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #1,344 of 5,297
No, 3 times when display is set to Auto off which is my default to save power and not hurt my eyes at night.
I would like to decide myself and see an implementation like other manufacturers are using: a configurable volume lock mode: on/off and otherwise allowing direct volume change.
I mean imagine your hifi stereo amplifier in your living room would force you to always press buttons in order to turn the volume wheel.
I feel rather annoyed with volume normalization turned off in the source player app - this requires me using the volume buttons even more often.
This is my default as I am otherwise compromising dynamic range...
hm, I don't know your setting and its surprising that you can't do what I can do. As i said - i can click two times and the volume changes, so it works for me with display off. Besides - you can have the W2 been completely managed by the volume control of your audio source. In that case you just increase or decrease the volume on the source player... and don't even need to touch the W2... ( I keep the two volume change settings on each device though). I hope you find the right setting for you, tough.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,345 of 5,297
Yep, as most went for W2 this might have become a bit short.
From what I read W1 was described as a tad warmer and less detailed, obviously also having less power, not supporting custom presets for IEMs like Xelento and as far as I remember no sound signature switch "smooth" (1) vs "detailed" (2)
Best to comment would be potentially
@bluestorm1992 who is about to receive a loaner unit
@HiFyAK2020 who is yet owning both
As to my humble judgement - the W2 has more details and more bass depth and bass clarity than the W1 (but we talk about already very top level comparison) and I find the W2 more harmonic and less "sharp". The sound is more mellow (you can call it warmer _ so i think the W2 is warmer...) and that does NOT impact the precision and dynamic details on the contrary - the W2 has a slightly better soundstage as to my impression. W2 has definitely more power and sounds louder and strangely enough - I could not yet find any difference in battery consumption on my Smartphone. For me, I like to always have some margin until I reach 100%, so being able to run my music on 75% of max and have really powerful sound is reassuring to me.
One other thing I noticed is that the W1 showed me up sampling to 24B/192Khz and the W2 shows me 24B/384 KHz - and since my music app (poweramp) can up sample to such levels they are both in total sync - and that after all makes a difference in the clarity and neutrality of the music reproduction - at least to me.
Curious to learn what bluestorm's opinion is - as he is closer to and more familiar with L&P than me.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,346 of 5,297
alternativel
hm, I don't know your setting and its surprising that you can't do what I can do. As i said - i can click two times and the volume changes, so it works for me with display off. Besides - you can have the W2 been completely managed by the volume control of your audio source. In that case you just increase or decrease the volume on the source player... and don't even need to touch the W2... ( I keep the two volume change settings on each device though). I hope you find the right setting for you, tough.
3 clicks
1st click: display on
2nd click: let W2 know you want to change volume, that's the before mentioned "feature" to prevent unwanted volume change
3rd click: change volume

I think everyone with W2 and latest fw can exactly copy that behaviour and actually I only reacted to a post from another user as I didn't even recognise this behaviour myself before
Regarding the feature with remote volume control, you are absolutely right, I love this feature and am using it whenever I am using my iPhone and my Apple Watch.
When laying in bed at night and my watch loading though, using W2 on my iPad I am encountering exactly this behaviour and I think it should be changed...

Edit1: the remote feature works wonderfully with my Apple Watch where I can change volume steps 1 by one.
Hitting the volume button on my IPad or iPhone e.g will make the W2 volume jump in steps of 5 to 6!
Therefore the granular setting through the W2 buttons is required in most cases as I don't think everyone is owning or using an Apple Watch
Haven't tested Android yet...

Edit2: Test on Android 9, Motorola G6

W2 remote not working in any streaming app!
I.e changing the phones volume will only change phone gain but not W2 hardware gain
UApp: Finally W2 gain can be controlled using phone buttons
Volume steps again not granular like on IOS. Pressing phone volume button will in/decrease always 5 steps at once.
W2 manual volume mode is working exactly as on IOS
1st press: display on
2nd press: nothing happens
3rd press: volume is changed
All subsequent presses while display is on will in/decrease volume directly as long as display is on. If display is turned off the behavior starting at step1 is repeating...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,347 of 5,297
Short video on the A&K dongle...

Thx for sharing
The reviewer is not so much going into SQ analysis but stating that its performance is comparable to AK100 driving his Sennheiser IE800 IEM unbalanced

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #1,348 of 5,297
After spending 2 weeks with the W2 I am quite impressed how far USB dongles have come in a short amount of time. I have the original LHaudio Geek, Geek V2 SE, Zorloo SuperDAC and Ztella, Lotoo PAW S1, and a bit less portable a Chord Hugo 2. Mostly listening to it with balanced cables on my Hifiman HE1000SE and Focal Ultra I first can report that the device is driving the HE1000SE comfortably at a volume level of 75 and less on the Focal Utopia. When driving either of them the device draws about 0.11-0.13A at 5.12V from my laptop or a ZM1 USB PD power bank. That is only slightly more than the 0.10-0.11A from the Lotoo PAW S1 but the device has more output power which can be detected as a more controlled bass on the HE1000SE. Switching to desktop gear does not seem to provide more slam or control which is quite amazing given the diminutive size.

On my laptop I switched from the S1 to the W2 and to me they provide an improved experience. Both of my daily headphones are full size and not super easy to drive so I did not hear any hiss before. In comparison the S1 is smoothing out the treble which seems more direct on the W2. This leads to better instrument separation and a more engaging experience on the W2. In my personal taste I really like the combination with the HE1000SE and can listen to that for extended times. The Focal Utopia is more treble forward and this directness makes listening to it on the W2 quite an emotional experience but I can only do that for 30min at a time.

On the road I use a modded JVC HD-FD01 with my Galaxy S20 and the combination with the W2 also works very well. Inserting the ZMI USB PD power bank in hub mode between the phone and the W2 allows for multiple days of playing time.

Overall the next step in USB dongles for me...

P.S.: MusicTeck who appears to be the official L&P partner in the US took my preorder and delivered ahead of the promised date

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,349 of 5,297
Thx for sharing
The reviewer is not so much going into SQ analysis but stating that its performance is comparable to AK100 driving his Sennheiser IE800 IEM unbalanced

Judging by the spec they released so far, it would seems to make more sense to price it at around $100 or so. Then again, it won't be A&K if they don't over-price their stuff. A&K is neither a real engineering/performance focus company like L&P that can backup their higher-priced products with measurable data, nor is it a price-value driven brand - so I am not sure why they even bother to enter the audio dongle market at such a late stage with a product that seems to priced too high against comparable competition, yet doesn't seems to push the envelop far enough to really compete in the higher end market. Perhaps DAP sale isn't as good as they like it to be?

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #1,350 of 5,297
I can't imagine anyone would have figured this out yet but just in case: does the W2 draw significantly more power than the W1 when on the go? I would think it does because of the two chips, but I don't really know how electronics work. 🤷‍♂️ Am wondering if I want to go with the W1 given that it will mainly be paired with my phone....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back