Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jul 3, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #3,391 of 5,290
Was the metal plate on the outside of the phone case or between the phone and phone case?
I was testing the metal outside of the case previously. I just tried the metal to be between the phone and the case and it was pretty good.

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #3,393 of 5,290
I was testing the metal outside of the case previously. I just tried the metal to be between the phone and the case and it was pretty good.
I’m a little confused because I read different versions about where the magnet is. Is it in the cover or is „the metal piece“ magnetic?

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #3,394 of 5,290
I’m a little confused because I read different versions about where the magnet is. Is it in the cover or is „the metal piece“ magnetic?
There is one in the back of the cover itself. There is an additional piece of magnet for you to slip into your case. However, with the iPhone 12, because of it’s construction, you may not need the extra magnet. In this photo, I did not insert the magnet into my iPhone case (between the phone and the case).

25C3241B-8230-4C36-AA9D-50D100D64F2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #3,395 of 5,290
I couldn't find it, so apologies if it's been stated before: How does Xelento sound with W2's Xelento profile?
I personally like it a lot.

Have Xelento on SE out (since using the stock cable), Low Gain. Switching between Tune 01 / Fast filters for electronic, rock, hip-hop ; Tune 02 / Slow filters for jazz, vocal, classsical.

I think Xelento profile re-positions vocals a little back for more balanced mids; there's less mid-bass bloat with sub-bass better extended taking advantage of the Tesla driver that can reach very low.

PXL_20210704_125302308.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #3,396 of 5,290
I just got my W2 today. I just spent 1.5 hours doing some A/B/C/D testing using my EE Odin as the earphones, iPhone and Tidal as my source and I compared Lotoo PAW S1, LPW2, Chord Mojo and Chord Hugo 2. To me, the sound signature is so obvious that I don't need to do much more testing. I know where it fits.

The LP W2 is a direct upgrade to the Lotoo PAW S1. It has a very similar transparent sound signature, but it just does it better all around. Whereas the S1 sounds boomy across the frequency response spectrum at times, the W2 is very tight and clean. The difference is bigger than the difference between the DragonFly Red and DragonFly Cobalt. You need a good ear to hear the difference between the Red and Cobalt. Anyone can hear the difference between the S1 and W2. I forgot to bring the DragonFly Red with me, so I can't compare it, but I prefer the S1 to the DragonFly Red.

To me, the LPW2 is comparable in quality to the Chord Mojo for driving IEMs. I only brought my ZMF VC with me on this trip, so I will test the driving power of the W2 for high impedance full headphones with it. I would be surprised if it did very well especially given the earlier description of the W2 and HD800. My guess is the Chord Mojo will have the power advantage as it can drive the VC.

The big difference between the Chord Mojo and the LP W2 is sound signature. The Chord Mojo has a warm signature whereas the W2 has a much more transparent signature. Depending on the IEM you are pairing it with, one or the other will likely sound better. To me, the Chord Mojo did better on tracks that had more of bass emphasis given its warm sound signature. The W2 did better with Classical and acoustic music. Anything that favors sound stage and transparency.

It was a complete knock out with the W2 vs. the Chord Hugo 2. The H2 was better in almost every way especially with respect to resolution; and detail and clarity.

More later as I get more ear time with it. But, this evaluation was very straight forward to me. I don't expect my opinion to change much. I look forward to pairing it with the Hugo 2 and C9 to see how far this dongle can go.
Thanks, that's a great review. I'm planning to purchase it but heard few issue. There is one thread which states it tends to draw 12 ma current from iPhone which is 20ma more than allowed and the volume becomes choppy and distorted.
Did you used it with mac. I noticed that the firmware can be updated only from windows machine. That's okay but just want to check whether it is good with apple devices. as I use iPhone and mac as my main audio source.

Thanks,
-Jay

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #3,397 of 5,290
There is one in the back of the cover itself. There is an additional piece of magnet for you to slip into your case. However, with the iPhone 12, because of it’s construction, you may not need the extra magnet. In this photo, I did not insert the magnet into my iPhone case (between the phone and the case).

25C3241B-8230-4C36-AA9D-50D100D64F2A.jpeg
Thank you!

That would have been my 2nd question. I am still on the iPhone 11Pro (probably upgrading to the next one) without the MagSafe case. I understand that I will place the metal between phone and case? So no need to glue it outside on the case?

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #3,398 of 5,290
Thank you!

That would have been my 2nd question. I am still on the iPhone 11Pro (probably upgrading to the next one) without the MagSafe case. I understand that I will place the metal between phone and case? So no need to glue it outside on the case?
I tried placing the metal between the phone and the case and I got a good adhesion. My case is not particularly thick though (the Apple clear case) so not sure about other cases like leather case.

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #3,399 of 5,290
Thanks, that's a great review. I'm planning to purchase it but heard few issue. There is one thread which states it tends to draw 12 ma current from iPhone which is 20ma more than allowed and the volume becomes choppy and distorted.
Did you used it with mac. I noticed that the firmware can be updated only from windows machine. That's okay but just want to check whether it is good with apple devices. as I use iPhone and mac as my main audio source.

Thanks,
-Jay
No issues unless you run very sensitive IEMs like Andromeda and turn volume so loud that your grandmother will complain and you want to destroy your ear drum - so in short: distortion is rather a theoretical case than a practical one with IPhone

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #3,400 of 5,290
Thank you!

One thing to note is that, by placing the metal piece at the back of the phone, you will be effectively disabling the phone’s wireless charging function (the metal will interfere that function).

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #3,401 of 5,290
One thing to note is that, by placing the metal piece at the back of the phone, you will be effectively disabling the phone’s wireless charging function (the metal will interfere that function).
Good point, thank you for that… thats bad. But nevermind as I will upgrade to the new iphone in a couple months anyway…

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #3,402 of 5,290
No issues unless you run very sensitive IEMs like Andromeda and turn volume so loud that your grandmother will complain and you want to destroy your ear drum - so in short: distortion is rather a theoretical case than a practical one with IPhone
Thank you so much. I'll purchase it indeed it's a great little dongle and much better than carrying ifi micro bl or chord mojo specially if it gives 80% of the sound with almost half price. I'm going to use it with my iPhone and macbook pro. hope it don't has any issue with macbook as well and similar like dragonfly dacs.

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,403 of 5,290
This case is quite nice…

6907C0CE-F893-4A21-9635-6494E90BEB0C.jpeg
C986D45E-9F8C-4AF4-828B-6E04236F00AB.jpeg
53E0D754-66B8-4850-8100-766EA3FF4FC8.jpeg

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #3,404 of 5,290
Thank you so much. I'll purchase it indeed it's a great little dongle and much better than carrying ifi micro bl or chord mojo specially if it gives 80% of the sound with almost half price. I'm going to use it with my iPhone and macbook pro. hope it don't has any issue with macbook as well and similar like dragonfly dacs.
Using it with my MacBook Pro without any issues 👍

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,405 of 5,290
Why do you think it gives you only 80% of the sound??? Do you refer to output power? That might be more with the other devices mentioned, still irrelevant for the intended IEM use-case. But I highly doubt that the ifi/mojo „sound“ any better than the W2.

In fact, the opposite is probably the case. Feel free to compare the mojo to the W2 (spoiler: W2 wins). And as you mention Dragonfly. Well, they are not so good…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back