Luxury portables (Momentum, MDR-R1, P5, DT1350 etc)
Jan 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
 Although the Momemtums look more like a family sedan with leather seats, while the MDR-1 looks more like an AMG Mercedes.

If that family sedan is an Aston Martin I would agree 
biggrin.gif

It's all about personal preference. Say like I prefer K550 over HD800. K550 has the right amount of bass slam & warm mids. It is closed and don't leak sound unlike the HD800. + K550 are less picky source & won't give you tones of stress 
smily_headphones1.gif

Personal taste only goes so far. The P5 is just badly over-priced. It sounds more like a 70's mid/high-end phone to me.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #23 of 24
Speaking of getting back on topic (and perhaps resurrecting this thread), does anyone have a response to quigley0's question?  I have the DT1350 and love the sound, but find them uncomfortable when wearing glasses.  I really should get out to an Apple store and try on the Momentums.  
Quote:
Has anyone tried the DT1350 compared to the Momentums? I never got a chance to hear them, but they were "on my list" of potentials.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #24 of 24
The P5 is one of the worst sounding headphones over £40 I've ever heard.
I have to wonder whether something changed during their production, or if they just have very poor quality control.

I bought the P5 right when they came out, and I was very happy with how they sounded, but after a while I started to find them uncomfortable to wear.
More recently, I bought a second pair because I had tried a number of other closed headphones, that I didn't like the sound of at all, and thought I would maybe try the P5 again, because I heard they had changed the earpads slightly.

This second pair sounded terrible with muddy bass in particular, but just generally not sounding very good.

Eventually, I found Sony's MDR-7520, which I am very happy with now. Of the headphones listed, I would probably avoid the B&W P5 for the reasons mentioned above, and the DT1350 seem to have serious quality control issues (unless those have been resolved recently?) so I would be concerned about purchasing a pair of them too. Personally, I don't like the look of the Momentums at all, so I would pick the MDR-R1 from that list - though they're not my favorite looking headphones either.

Speaking of getting back on topic (and perhaps resurrecting this thread), does anyone have a response to quigley0's question? I have the DT1350 and love the sound, but find them uncomfortable when wearing glasses. I really should get out to an Apple store and try on the Momentums.
I can't wear on-ear headphones with glasses. Sometimes I try on a pair and think they feel ok, but after a while - either just from having them on for a couple of hours, or from owning them a few months when the padding wears down a bit, they end up being painful to wear because they are pushing my ears onto the legs of the glasses. Over-ear headphones just press the legs onto the side of your head, without much pressure if the pads are soft, so they are far more comfortable to wear for long periods of time - but you might notice increased pressure on the bridge of your nose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back