Luxury portables (Momentum, MDR-R1, P5, DT1350 etc)
Jan 5, 2013 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had a chance to listen to the Sennheisers and the P5s but not the Sony's. I'm interested in how people think these compare. Also interested for any other suggestions of similar closed over-ear portables that are beautfully made.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 24
For portable, I find Momentum & MDR-1R makes the best all rounder although I never get to try the P5 but here's what I think about both Momentum and 1r:

Before I get started, I find both are great looking headphones when it comes to design/fashion.

Momentum:
These earpads & headband are made of leather, isolates plently of noise if you have M-size ear as the earcups are too small for me. It is more like a on-ear for me. As for sound I find these overall bassy & warm sounding. The lows are bassy, punchy but lacks tightness. Mids are warm sounding overall. Where as the highs are clear. Details are good but when it comes to soundstage, I find Momentum are lacking in it. I feel like instruments are all squeezing together. Transparancy are excellent overall. It's very very clear with minimum grainy sound.

MDR-1R:
These earpads too looks like it's made of leather or pleather I'm not so sure :xf_eek: . Comfort are better on these than Momentum as it's earcups are larger & more flexible. The sound signature on these I find it like others mostly said. Flat. The bass to me are less than Momentum & better controlled which is a good thing to me. Mids are natural sounding where as the highs are clear. Soundstage & details are better one these than Momentum. These two has good transparency but slightly behind Momentum. Fortunately, there's no sibilance/grainy sound detected during my listening.

Lastly, I am not sure if these two are gender to bad records like mp3 file format as I did both of my listening with WAV. Momentum with my iPod Nano 3rd & MDR-1R with my iPad as I audition them at different stores.

Just my 2cent. I am too very interested in how people find these two to sound like :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
The P5 is one of the worst sounding headphones over £40 I've ever heard.

Totally agree. I prefer the overall sound of some beats headphones to the P5.

I would suggest you also have a look at the UE-6000. While it's not quite luxury, it's pretty close with street-fashion style. 
I bought the Momentum as I preferred the lush/smooth sound of it over the Sony R1 which is a little more excitable/energetic. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 24
I were very dissapointed with the P5 too

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
For portable, I find Momentum & MDR-1R makes the best all rounder although I never get to try the P5 but here's what I think about both Momentum and 1r:
Before I get started, I find both are great looking headphones when it comes to design/fashion.
Momentum:
These earpads & headband are made of leather, isolates plently of noise if you have M-size ear as the earcups are too small for me. It is more like a on-ear for me. As for sound I find these overall bassy & warm sounding. The lows are bassy, punchy but lacks tightness. Mids are warm sounding overall. Where as the highs are clear. Details are good but when it comes to soundstage, I find Momentum are lacking in it. I feel like instruments are all squeezing together. Transparancy are excellent overall. It's very very clear with minimum grainy sound.
MDR-1R:
These earpads too looks like it's made of leather or pleather I'm not so sure
redface.gif
. Comfort are better on these than Momentum as it's earcups are larger & more flexible. The sound signature on these I find it like others mostly said. Flat. The bass to me are less than Momentum & better controlled which is a good thing to me. Mids are natural sounding where as the highs are clear. Soundstage & details are better one these than Momentum. These two has good transparency but slightly behind Momentum. Fortunately, there's no sibilance/grainy sound detected during my listening.
Lastly, I am not sure if these two are gender to bad records like mp3 file format as I did both of my listening with WAV. Momentum with my iPod Nano 3rd & MDR-1R with my iPad as I audition them at different stores.
Just my 2cent. I am too very interested in how people find these two to sound like
smily_headphones1.gif

This is a fairly accurate description at least matches my perception of the two. BTW, I have M size ears and no way they would fit inside Momentum ear cups, not even close, pretty sure they never meant to be circumaural by design.
Sound wise both are quite good, just different flavors, you can't tell which one you'll end up liking more by just reading impressions, they all are subjective.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 24
UE6000? No! Unless you need bass & noise canceling. The mids are horrible to me.

& yes, you must try it yourself to get clearer comparison between 1R & Momentum. It's really about self preference :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 24
I'm not really interested in the P5s, just included them for reference because I've had a chance to listen to them. The main interest is the Momentums v the MDR-R1s and any other choices. I am interested in people's comparisons of those two so I can decide whether to hold out to try the Sony's in a few weeks. I'm also interested in the DT1350, I don't really want on-ears but if they fit nicely maybe they could work.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 24
V-Moda M100 are so sexy, but too bad I didn't like the sound :frowning2:  It was boomy for me.
If you are set on Momemtum vs MDR-1, I'd go with the MDR-1.  Although the Momemtums look more like a family sedan with leather seats, while the MDR-1 looks more like an AMG Mercedes.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #11 of 24
Got a chance to demo the R1s today and was quite disappointed. Build quality especially, a lot more plastic and cheaper looking and feeling than I was expecting. Sound wise, based on a brief demo, but with my own source, they were decent but not exceptional, quite flat and balanced but a bit congested and lacking the separation and definition I would expect for $300AU.

I ended up getting the Momentums. They were clearly superior to the Sony's in every way. Build quality is superb, love the metal and real leather, these feel like real premium phones. Also really like the swivel jack, wish they put it on both cables. I tried them a couple of times in an Apple store and another chain store (JB) and I had thought they were nice but a bit darker than I like. But today I got to try them out of my own ipod and there were much less dark, the source in the stores is obviously heavily EQd. Out of my own source I wouldn't call these particularly dark, they are warm but much better balanced than I was expecting based on the impressions I have read here. They were also noticably better than the Sony's in terms of detail, separation and soundstage.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 24
Got a chance to demo the R1s today and was quite disappointed. Build quality especially, a lot more plastic and cheaper looking and feeling than I was expecting. Sound wise, based on a brief demo, but with my own source, they were decent but not exceptional, quite flat and balanced but a bit congested and lacking the separation and definition I would expect for $300AU.

I ended up getting the Momentums. They were clearly superior to the Sony's in every way. Build quality is superb, love the metal and real leather, these feel like real premium phones. Also really like the swivel jack, wish they put it on both cables. I tried them a couple of times in an Apple store and another chain store (JB) and I had thought they were nice but a bit darker than I like. But today I got to try them out of my own ipod and there were much less dark, the source in the stores is obviously heavily EQd. Out of my own source I wouldn't call these particularly dark, they are warm but much better balanced than I was expecting based on the impressions I have read here. They were also noticably better than the Sony's in terms of detail, separation and soundstage.

Congrats on the Momentum! I just got mine today and love it. Although they don't need it, i much prefer the sound of them when going through my FIIO E17, although i haven't determined yet if that improvement is the amp or dac. But, overall, these are my favorite headphones i've ever owned.

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 24
Why do people even suggest the P5 on head-fi? It's terrible.

It's all about personal preference. Say like I prefer K550 over HD800. K550 has the right amount of bass slam & warm mids. It is closed and don't leak sound unlike the HD800. + K550 are less picky source & won't give you tones of stress :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back