Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital Music Player, Available Soon!
Mar 18, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #526 of 1,603

Not that you guys needs more pictures in low quality, but a sample unit just landed for me to give a listen to. Balanced out is a real treat and I'm in the process of going through songs I know.

I think a couple people asked and believe it was addressed, but just to clarify - yes, everyone that participated in the campaign will receive a case with the order.

Any update on the ship date and the case included in the indiegogo units? BTW what is the bud in the image? An earbud that takes balanced input is gonna be very interesting at least to me.

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #527 of 1,603
We're still looking at mid-late April unless something changes. The bud's not for sale/still in progress, not sure if the market's there for a 2.5mm TRRS earbud since it narrows down the potential audience pool dramatically. I personally love earbuds since they're quick to put in, comfortable for a long time and easy to remove and the sound quality's pretty good, but it's also a bit pricey. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #530 of 1,603
  We're still looking at mid-late April unless something changes. The bud's not for sale/still in progress, not sure if the market's there for a 2.5mm TRRS earbud since it narrows down the potential audience pool dramatically. I personally love earbuds since they're quick to put in, comfortable for a long time and easy to remove and the sound quality's pretty good, but it's also a bit pricey. 

Danny, that looks like a re-terminated Shozy Cygnus?  Easy DIY since Shozy kept 4 separate conductors up until the jack.  At least that's how it looks in the picture:

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #531 of 1,603
For @Brooko and I guess Danny if his unit has a firmware version older than 1.0.0.1.

1.0.0.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl9nqxn1g4upqma/LPFWPKG_L3_V1.0.0.1.rar?dl=0 
Changeblog: 
1. Fixed some compatibility issues with Mac computers messing up song count.
2. Now it has more accurate battery indicator.

Not sure what have been added for the versions before 1.0.0.1 though, time for Paul to find out on his own. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #532 of 1,603
  For @Brooko and I guess Danny if his unit has a firmware version older than 1.0.0.1.

1.0.0.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl9nqxn1g4upqma/LPFWPKG_L3_V1.0.0.1.rar?dl=0 
Changeblog: 
1. Fixed some compatibility issues with Mac computers messing up song count.
2. Now it has more accurate battery indicator.

Not sure what have been added for the versions before 1.0.0.1 though, time for Paul to find out on his own. 

Is PC USB DAC function now implemented?

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #534 of 1,603
Thanks John

Got the update - installed easily - and yep, quite a few changes.  I'll describe what I'm seeing - should have listed the actual existing features beforehand because right now I'm not 100% sure if everything below is totally new.

• Play mode, equaliser and visualisations - no change
  • Audio output settings - still has SPDIF and DoP over SPDIF options - but now same digital filter as in L5 Pro (fast or slow attenuation), and you can change phase.
  • Under "Advanced" - first 5 settings are still the same (key settings now has the option of assigning the special keys to digital filter) - but now you have USB connection, USB audio delay, and USB power supply!
  • So - USB connection allows the DAC - which works perfectly, and is limited on Win10 at the moment to 16/96 (more than enough for me).  I tested it - sounds really good.
  • Along with the DAC is the Audio delay setting (long or short) - short means virtually no delay with youtube / video - just sat and watched the whole Grimes segment on KEXP - first time I'd seen it (enthralled)
  • USB power supply is brand new - and allows you to choose whether you're using battery or USB power when plugged in.  Probably handy if you have sub-standard USB connection, and only want to use it for digital.

Haven't noticed too many other things.  Overall sounds slightly smoother and more balanced (could be placebo on my part) - or could be the digital filter at work.

FLAC support seems better this time.  All of my tracks seem to be showing up.  Funnily enough though some of the ALAC ones will continue to show the first track in the album only.  Folder browsing is still brilliant.  All music still seems to be showing all tracks perfectly - which is great for putting the entire library on shuffle.

Assuming they (L&P) still continue to put out updates and keep improving things, then the L3 is a bit of a no-brainer recommendation.  I have no idea where they are targeting the eventual RRP - but if it continues to be around the $300 mark then it is an incredible bargain.

Still the odd bug with library management, and I'd love to see a user definable EQ eventually - but navigation is quick and dead easy (swiping would be nice - but I'm used to the straight touch).

Kudos L&P - this is a great sounding DAP - and well on the way to being great full stop.

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #535 of 1,603
Thak you, Brooko. Great information! Hopefully future FW will output 24 bit via usb dac. BTW does balanced output work well in usb dac mode?

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #536 of 1,603
Thak you, Brooko. Great information! Hopefully future FW will output 24 bit via usb dac. BTW does balanced output work well in usb dac mode?

Just tested it.  And no - not working in DAC mode, but does with the player - so may be a bug.

Couple more notes:

1. Native DSD plays perfectly (DSD64)
  2. aac256 still tags OK but won't play
  3. 24/96 playing and tagging perfectly
  4. Still no gapless

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #537 of 1,603
There have been a lot of backend changes, so support for tagging and album art should be improved. 

The USB DAC on L5 Pro is unlocked up to 24Bits 192Khz, strange that it is not the case with L3.

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #538 of 1,603
Do you need a driver for the DAC John? - I've just been using the native Windows driver up to now so maybe that's the issue.  My L5 Pro is limited to 16/96 as well.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #540 of 1,603

It is driver-less. Let me make sure if it does support up to 24 bits 192Khz, it could be my mis-understanding.

Thanks - native support under Linux and Mac could be higher maybe.  The Windows generic driver seems to be capping at 16/96.  I'll try with another OS as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back