Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital Music Player, Available Soon!
May 23, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #1,096 of 1,603
I see where's he's coming from and for the level the L5Pro is at the UI should have been better. But I kind of like the minimalist L3 UI, even f there still si (a lot) of margin for improvement

May 23, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #1,097 of 1,603
I agree - and I guess this is where people coming from an AK, Apple or other reasonably polished UI may have different expectations.  I remember how bad working with the HiSoundAudio Anniversary 3 was - and I loved that player.

I actually really like the L3.  If you accept it for what it is, there is a lot to like.

Wondering about the balanced results he got though.  I got a lot more out of my tests.  Going to run it again this week to be sure.

May 23, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #1,098 of 1,603
  I agree - and I guess this is where people coming from an AK, Apple or other reasonably polished UI may have different expectations.  I remember how bad working with the HiSoundAudio Anniversary 3 was - and I loved that player.

I actually really like the L3.  If you accept it for what it is, there is a lot to like.

Wondering about the balanced results he got though.  I got a lot more out of my tests.  Going to run it again this week to be sure.

Well is one thing to have a minimalistic UI, but it is another thing to have to deal with bugs like skipping 24/192 playback and lack of format support and stuff like that, which really should be fixed ASAP.

May 23, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #1,099 of 1,603

Well is one thing to have a minimalistic UI, but it is another thing to have to deal with bugs like skipping 24/192 playback and lack of format support and stuff like that, which really should be fixed ASAP.

Agreed. A DAP should able to support most audio format. 
rolleyes.gif

May 23, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #1,101 of 1,603
You guys obviously never experienced some of the earlier high quality DAPs which were around - like the HSA Studio.  If you had, you might have a slightly different appreciation. Its OK - I know the expectation of features is high if you are coming from a different eco system.  If you're expecting polish and a complete system from L&P though, you may be in for a longish wait (just my experience so far - LP5, L5 Pro and now L3).

If you can work with the limited UI and lack of features, you will still get a lot of SQ.  It depends what is important to you.

May 23, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #1,102 of 1,603
i hope this is still the indiegogo thread, though the campaign has been a long time ago. the thing is that i still have not got my l3. i was one of those who shipped our unit to HideousPride and paid to ship our units out of NA. i know some have got their units this way. i wonder if i am the only one left here still waiting for the campaign unit.

May 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,103 of 1,603
i hope this is still the indiegogo thread, though the campaign has been a long time ago. the thing is that i still have not got my l3. i was one of those who shipped our unit to HideousPride and paid to ship our units out of NA. i know some have got their units this way. i wonder if i am the only one left here still waiting for the campaign unit.

Have you tried Email Danial?

May 23, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,105 of 1,603
You guys obviously never experienced some of the earlier high quality DAPs which were around - like the HSA Studio.  If you had, you might have a slightly different appreciation. Its OK - I know the expectation of features is high if you are coming from a different eco system.  If you're expecting polish and a complete system from L&P though, you may be in for a longish wait (just my experience so far - LP5, L5 Pro and now L3).

If you can work with the limited UI and lack of features, you will still get a lot of SQ.  It depends what is important to you.

PAW Gold is a contemporary high end DAP that sounds great and nails simple, yet very functional user interface. Gapless works. All file formats I use work just fine. Highly customizable EQ. High end does not equal dysfunctional...

May 23, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,107 of 1,603
PAW Gold is a contemporary high end DAP that sounds great and nails simple, yet very functional user interface. Gapless works. All file formats I use work just fine. Highly customizable EQ. High end does not equal dysfunctional...

Perhaps re-read what I said Nic 
smile.gif

I suggested that if some of the people who are griping about the UI had the chance to interact with some of the Hi-Fi DAPs which were around earlier (before you even joined), it does tend to give you a different perspective.  Did you ever get a chance to try anything like the HiSoundAudio devices?  And where did I suggest high end equals dysfunctional?  Where did I even suggest it?

And the LPG had a retail price of around $2K didn't it?  You seriously comparing that to a $300 player?

I'm not making excuses here - I'm just suggesting some perspective.  It isn't an Apple device.  Its not an AK device.  It has quality parts, a good sound, a reasonably easy interface to use, and some nice features.  It is also missing a lot of other features though.  And depending on what your "wants" are - it may be adequate for purpose, or severely lacking.

Personally for what it actually is - I quite like it.

May 23, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,108 of 1,603

I also used this way but I received the unit last week... Maybe u just need to wait abit more... USPS as usual...

May 23, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #1,109 of 1,603
But you can buy like 5 L3s with the price

Perhaps re-read what I said Nic :smile:

I suggested that if some of the people who are griping about the UI had the chance to interact with some of the Hi-Fi DAPs which were around earlier (before you even joined), it does tend to give you a different perspective.  Did you ever get a chance to try anything like the HiSoundAudio devices?  And where did I suggest high end equals dysfunctional?  Where did I even suggest it?

And the LPG had a retail price of around $2K didn't it?  You seriously comparing that to a $300 player?

I'm not making excuses here - I'm just suggesting some perspective.  It isn't an Apple device.  Its not an AK device.  It has quality parts, a good sound, a reasonably easy interface to use, and some nice features.  It is also missing a lot of other features though.  And depending on what your "wants" are - it may be adequate for purpose, or severely lacking.

Personally for what it actually is - I quite like it.

My point was that...

A. If you're going to compare with high end DAPs, at least use something contemporary. Why use an old, outdated DAP for comparison?

B. It definitely seemed to me like you were comparing L3's UI favorably to older high end DAPs, making them sound unattractive. Perhaps I misinterpreted, but that's how I read it.

C. I've been using portable media players since minidisc, where I owned every major brand and was on headfi in its early days (most likely before you, my friend) under the username "matheis". I've also owned Rio and iRiver DAPs amongst other old-skool DAPs. Those were honestly more user-friendly and full-featured than a lot of today's boutique DAPs, so I have a hard time excusing limited functionality as being us used to A&K, Apple iPod and such.

I'm in touch with more than a couple DAP manufacturers regarding UI improvements and have helped with FW revisions on a couple DAPs now and strongly feel as portable audio enthusiasts, we should be a bit less forgiving IMHO. Just my two cents, and anyone who wants is free to disagree.

I'm keeping my L3 for now and hope L&P make solid FW improvements soon.
:beerchug:

May 23, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #1,110 of 1,603
My point was that...

A. If you're going to compare with high end DAPs, at least use something contemporary. Why use an old, outdated DAP for comparison?

B. It definitely seemed to me like you were comparing L3's UI favorably to older high end DAPs, making them sound unattractive. Perhaps I misinterpreted, but that's how I read it.

C. I've been using portable media players since minidisc, where I owned every major brand and was on headfi in its early days (most likely before you, my friend) under the username "matheis". I've also owned Rio and iRiver DAPs amongst other old-skool DAPs. Those were honestly more user-friendly and full-featured than a lot of today's boutique DAPs, so I have a hard time excusing limited functionality as being us used to A&K, Apple iPod and such.

I'm in touch with more than a couple DAP manufacturers regarding UI improvements and have helped with FW revisions on a couple DAPs now and strongly feel as portable audio enthusiasts, we should be a bit less forgiving IMHO. Just my two cents, and anyone who wants is free to disagree.

I'm keeping my L3 for now and hope L&P make solid FW improvements soon.
beerchug.gif

+1. I like your view on this.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back