Luxman P700u Headphone Amplifier Thread
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #91 of 418
probablly placements of gears and main power conditions and source diffrence or all of them make big diffrences.
since i noticed those diffrence makes big diffrences of SQ, so I tend to not trust auditioning gears at shops..

A shop audition is not useless, but has to be interpreted properly. By way of analogy, if you are trying to determine the differences between kale and spinach in a salad (or for the omnivores-chuck vs sirloin in chili) and you do this by eating a kale salad at restaurant A, and a spinach salad at restaurant B, what you have really done is compared two salads, not kale vs. spinach.... Systems produce sound, individual components contribute to that sound, but it is quite difficult to calcuate the specific contribution any specifc piece of gear makes, unless you have heard all the components incvloved, in multiple configurations, and have heard other systems in the same room (to determine the acoustics contribution to the final sound).

If you bring your poratble music player, loaded with your music to a shop and compare iems or headphones, and it's a quiet environment, and both are equallly broken-in, warmed up, that's a valid comparison. Other than that, you have to consider the audition a data point, not a definitive, accurate compariosn.

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #92 of 418
Biggest "con" of my local audio shop is simply they dont stock ANY EQer even demo unit. real bummer.
maybe DAP's digital EQer will cut it. but i dont own any latest cool DAPs which have very nice EQer...
my iPod classic's EQer dont cut it. lol

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #93 of 418
I just hooked up Schiit Loki mini EQer to Luxman rig + HD800...
Wow so sweet and euphonic sounding! :D teste is like expensive melon... almost end game for me.

Loki mini Eqer has nice jude-san's great thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-audio-loki-mini-four-band-equalizer-head-fi-tv.861331/

スクリーンショット 2018-06-10 8.37.41.png

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #96 of 418
I'm looking at purchasing the Luxman P-750U but can't decide between the HD800 or Focal Clear. Nice dilemma to have though!

Get the HEK v2, it has excellent synergy with the Luxman. I also have the HD800 and the Utopia. Both are very good but I think the HEK v1 or v2 is special with Luxman.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #97 of 418
Get the HEK v2, it has excellent synergy with the Luxman. I also have the HD800 and the Utopia. Both are very good but I think the HEK v1 or v2 is special with Luxman.

Was looking at the HEK v2 funnily enough. It may be a future purchase. I have the P-750U arriving tomorrow (on demo) with the HD800. Did you find a difference between balanced and unbalanced inputs out of interest?

Jan 25, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #101 of 418
I just picked up a P750 U and a pair of Focal Utopia , Anyone try the 4 pin or (2) 3 pin vs the std ? any diffrence

yeah, the xlrs won;t fit into the 1/4" socket -- :ksc75smile:. all of the outputs sound good, and have more than enough power-- are you feeding it SE or balanced in?

Jan 25, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #102 of 418
I’m feeding it using XLR from a Totaldac Twelve which is single ended so ..... I just found my single ended cables this morning so I might swap them prob won’t matter anyways .

I also have a 900u preamp which would convert the Totaldac to bal , wonder if that might be the way to go

Feb 8, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #104 of 418
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back