Luxman P700u Headphone Amplifier Thread
May 18, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #211 of 418
Nearly broke my back by trying to get that box out in the attic but same here, Limited Edition.
So Japan only gets a gold logo plate while we get a rhodium logo plate. :)

Looking forward to get the SQ-N150 in a week or two, used to have the SQ-N100 long ago.
http://www.luxman.com/asset/catalog/NeoClassico2_catalog_english_pl.pdf

How's the SQ-N150? After much research I've landed on it as a potential entry (and exit) point for a a low-watt tube integrated with a headphone output and the ability to drive high-efficiency speakers as a bonus, and a decent in-built phono stage as a double bonus. The combo of its functionality quality and that vintage hi-fi luxman look has me fixated!

May 18, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #212 of 418
How's the SQ-N150? After much research I've landed on it as a potential entry (and exit) point for a a low-watt tube integrated with a headphone output and the ability to drive high-efficiency speakers as a bonus, and a decent in-built phono stage as a double bonus. The combo of its functionality quality and that vintage hi-fi luxman look has me fixated!

Haven't got it yet, maybe somewhere next week, it had to come from Japan as the distributor here didn't have one in stock.
I'll be using it as a headphone amp only though.

I used to have a SQ-N100 a long time ago, I remember it was pretty powerful as a headphone amp and a little warm-ish but not overdone.
I also used it to feed a K1000 over the speaker taps, didn't lack any power at all.

Oct 11, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #213 of 418
Has anyone used the P750u with a dcs bartok? I’m looking to get a headphone amp for the bartok and am intrigued by the P750.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #214 of 418
Has anyone used the P750u with a dcs bartok? I’m looking to get a headphone amp for the bartok and am intrigued by the P750.

I'm intrigued by the Bartok, but the price ...
Isn't the headphone amp good in the Bartok or do you have the DAC only version?
But then again I would be surprised if a small amp board in the Bartok could compete with something like the P-750u.
This amp is really amazing.
I use it with the DA-06.

Oct 12, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #215 of 418
I'm intrigued by the Bartok, but the price ...
Isn't the headphone amp good in the Bartok or do you have the DAC only version?
But then again I would be surprised if a small amp board in the Bartok could compete with something like the P-750u.
This amp is really amazing.
I use it with the DA-06.

the amp in the bartok is good, but the bartok definitely sounds better with an external headphone amp. I demoed the Bartok with the benchmark HPA-4 and the difference in the low end was tangible. I’m curious how much better bartok will sound with the P750. Don’t want to digress but for a top shelf dac, in built streamer and a headphone amp and as a one box solution it’s a decent price especially given DCS’ ability to make software upgrades years into the device lifecycle.

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #216 of 418
the amp in the bartok is good, but the bartok definitely sounds better with an external headphone amp. I demoed the Bartok with the benchmark HPA-4 and the difference in the low end was tangible. I’m curious how much better bartok will sound with the P750. Don’t want to digress but for a top shelf dac, in built streamer and a headphone amp and as a one box solution it’s a decent price especially given DCS’ ability to make software upgrades years into the device lifecycle.
it's really hard to find user reviews/experience on this illusive amp.. i don't think many if any has the combo like yours

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #217 of 418
We are interested in pairing with Meze Empyrean. Did anyone try? I decide between TT2 and P750u. I sold the Hugo 2 and I almost pulled the trigger for the TT2, but I discovered this piece from Japan. I have no reviews with the Meze ..

Oct 15, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #218 of 418
We are interested in pairing with Meze Empyrean. Did anyone try? I decide between TT2 and P750u. I sold the Hugo 2 and I almost pulled the trigger for the TT2, but I discovered this piece from Japan. I have no reviews with the Meze ..
I had the Empyrean for a short time (unlike others I couldn’t get on with the fit) and as with every headphone I’ve tried with the P-750u it sounded excellent. Now using the Abyss Diana V2 with the Luxman and it’s the best pairing I’ve heard so far on this journey!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #219 of 418
Just got my p750u in and it looks and feels amazing. Sound quality is a notch up from my flux labs FA-10 as well but that should be expected. Have any of you experienced any need for warmup time with this amp?

Oct 23, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #220 of 418
Funny you mention the warm-up.
I usually turn on my whole Lux system half an hour before I start listening to it but thew times I wanted to do a quick test after changing something in the chain (changing a cable or repositioning something and re-routing the cables) I had the feeling something was off.
I tried it cold just now and then waited half an hour and listened again. Now this is hardly an a/b comparison as I had to wait half an hour but I’d say the smoothness I’m used to from Luxman was only there when the amp was warm.

Oct 24, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #221 of 418
I'll try to keep that in mind. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about this amp. I only see it mentioned here and there when people are recommending TOTL amps for TOTL headphones.

Oct 24, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #222 of 418
Yeah, funny a lot of lesser amps in various price ranges get a lot of attention here but it’s hard to find a thread about Luxman or Marantz gear for example, both brands that aren’t sponsors. Both brands aren’t listed as Roon tested devices either (Marantz was just recently added) and that’s because Roon requires them to send them the gear to test. Luxman and Marantz Dacs/CD players work fine with Roon though, I had a few of them.
Luxman deseves a lot more attention here. I once compared my previous P-1u to the McIntosh headphone at almost double the price. The McIntosh is a Dac / integrated amp / headphone amp but marketed as a headphone system and while it sounded nice, once compared with the P-1u the phones out of the McIntosh kindof sounded like an afterthought.

I had a few headphone amps from Luxman: P-1u, SQ-N100 and now the P-750u and SQ-N150. They beat just about every other brand of headphone amps I had or auditioned, only Eddie Current was in the same league.
If you want to have a tube amp as well I highly recommend the SQ-N150. It can drive any headphone from its single-ended headphone output but I even had a speaker output to balanced headphone adapter made by Forza Audioworks to be able to connect my phones balanced. As the speaker output is 10W Class A I only recommend doing that for high impedance dynamics and hard to drive planars of course.

I also have the DA-06 and L-509X. I used to have TOTL Marantz speaker amps but the Luxman is something else entirely. It has a lot more power, detail, space and control over my seakers than the Marantz amps I had of the same to double the power rating. I’s a pretty expensive integrated but so worth it. I compared it to Marantz, Rotel Michi, Classé and McIntosh before I bought it but to me it was a clear winner.

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #223 of 418
Based on what you've listed, it sounds like you started with speakers and went to headphones. I think a lot of head-fi/headphone people start with headphones and then possibly go to speakers later. There's definitely a divide between headphone and speaker groups. Currently I have the Schiit Yggdrasil but the DA-06 looks kind of interesting. One thing that larger audio companies do though is they generally have chip based DACs with possible FGPA afterward compared to the smaller companies will actually implement discrete R2R dacs. Because of that, I'm not sure if the money spent on a DAC with one of the speaker traditional players is worth it considering the markup that they have compared to the smaller players.

How does the DA-06 compare to other dacs that you've tried? I don't really have anything else in the chain I would really upgrade but I'm always interested in finding a good upgrade down the line.

Oct 26, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #224 of 418
I'll try to keep that in mind. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about this amp. I only see it mentioned here and there when people are recommending TOTL amps for TOTL headphones.
even if P-750u is very desirable but price here in AU is more than 2x of Headamp GSX mini $6900 v $3200.... a Woo WA5 is $6000....

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #225 of 418
even if P-750u is very desirable but price here in AU is more than 2x of Headamp GSX mini $6900 v $3200.... a Woo WA5 is $6000....

I had a GSX-MKII when they just came out.
1) you can't stack the amp on top of the power supply like they do in the promotional pictures and reviews or you get noise. This has been discussed at length on this forum at the time.
2) The amp sounds as bright as a supernova.
Terrible amp just like a few others that came with good commercial reviews and were hyped on the forum.

Someone looking for a P-750u will probably be willing to pay for top quality.
Someone looking for great value for money I'd highly recommend a Schiit Jotunheim.
Even though I have the Luxman I have the Jotunheim in a second system and that mildly priced amp sounds a lot better than a GSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back