Luxman P-750u headphone amp
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #46 of 180
One last point I can talk about is that my unit is not dead silent, a soft hiss is present, which i come to expect from some Luxman products as kind of a tradeoff for the rich sound signature, most of their Class-A Speakeramps also produce this kind of noice-floor.
When I got my first unit (albeit used) I experienced the same hiss and clicking when turning the volume knob. Luxman rep told me the clicking is normal for their LECUA volume attenuator thingy. I returned that unit and bought the P-750u limited edition and it's been dead silent.

I use the Sony DAS-R1 and Spectral SDR-2000. I have a thing for older DACs :sweat_smile:

Dec 9, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #47 of 180
IMG_5647.jpeg
Borrowed from a friend to try out. It's quite interesting comparing the DA-06 to my Yggdrasil.
@Currawong since your YT review is online I would like to ask you a question out of curiosity: how would you compare Luxman to AuroraSound HEADA since you have heard both amps. I know it can be tricky since your HEADA review is quite old.

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #48 of 180
@Currawong since your YT review is online I would like to ask you a question out of curiosity: how would you compare Luxman to AuroraSound HEADA since you have heard both amps. I know it can be tricky since your HEADA review is quite old.
There's no way I can, unfortunately, as my entire system has changed completely since the review.

Dec 14, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #49 of 180
There's no way I can, unfortunately, as my entire system has changed completely since the review.

Hi Amos,

We were talking about your review in the P-700u thread also.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/luxman-p700u-headphone-amplifier-thread.651816/page-26#post-16707953

I have been a fan of the Luxman headphone amps since the P-1u / SQN-100 in 2007/2008, tried out all kinds of amps along the road and since a few years ended up with the DA-06 / P750u / SQ-N150 combo. The SQ-N100/10/150 is a magnificent tube amp with plenty of power out of it's SE headphone output but I do use it for headphones from the 12W speaker taps as well.

A few questions for some advice on purchases I am pondering about and for your insight since I really place value in your opinion and have done so for the past 10 years:
- I think you never tried a SQ-N100/10/150. Would you be able to try one with the Susvara? According to the numbers the 12+12W output should be ample as I often see Susvaras driven by 3-4W 2A3 amps or 9W 300B amps from the speaker taps.
- What's your opinion on the McIntosh MHA200 since I can add one for a really fair price. I'm worried it's not worth it and some 300B amp would be a better addition to my system though I have no idea which one. I know one but it's 15K ... :wink:
- LCD-5 vs. D8000Pro?
- What do you think about the Arya, would it be a good addition when looking for something that has a lot of air and space?
- Is the LCD-XC 2021 as one of the few available closed-back planars a still a good headphone these days, could it compete with something like my LCD-GX that I enjoy a lot? The GX is no slouch, I found it to be like a crossover between the LCD-4 and MX4 at a bargain price.

Oh and by the way, if you go to the Tokyo show please do keep us updated on Luxmans plans for their dac and headamp, not much info here in Europe.

Dec 27, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #50 of 180
If that's telling a story, I need subtitles. 😬
Volume controller in Pass HPA-1 is alps pot for 20$
ALPS250KStereoPotTwo.jpg

But luxman uses their own high quality:
4bed33ea41278fc1f2f7.jpg

Jan 3, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #53 of 180
What kind of dac will you guys pair with p750u? I’m looking at either Audio Spring 3 level 3 or Matrix X Sabre 3.

Any other options?
Get something cheap like SMSL D300 or other, the good thing you can try 2 DACs the same time on P750 and switch immediately to see if an expensive one worth it or not.

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #59 of 180
Thanks, I ended up with a 2nd hand audio gd r8 for A$1200 which is less than half of a 2nd hand xs3. I'm planning to get a ifi zen stream to do the streamer bit.
@cycchar I would rather take a look at ifi zen stream thread here on head-fi to read about all the issues this streamer has before buying it.

The software is in reality in constant beta. So far I could not find a dac it would play dsd256 correctly for example.

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #60 of 180
So...I'm waiting for delivery of my new Susvara. After A LOT of back and forth, I decided to take a chance on them being driven by my Luxman p-750u.
Does anyone care to chime in regarding their experience with this pairing?
Will it be a home run, or did I make a mistake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back