Luxman P-200 humming sound
Mar 18, 2011 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Luxman P-200 and there's a small humming sound.  It's very low volume and I can only hear it when the volume control is at half-way (12 o-clock position) and above.  The humming gets louder as the volume control increases.  It's still there even if I only plug in an iPod, so the humming is not coming from the signal of my other components.  I never listen at that high volume, but I hate to know that it's there somewhere in the background.

I had this problem before a few weeks ago but it went away by itself.  Maybe ground loop problem?  Any suggestions on how to eliminate the humming would be must appreciate it.

UPDATE: The problem turned out to be my apartment's wiring.  When I plugged in the Entech Wideband Powerline Noise Analyzer into the outlet where my TripLite IsoBar and all components are plugged into, the speakers of the analyzer emitted a buzzing sound.  This was last night and early this morning.  Later this morning, when I plugged the analyzer into the outlet again, there is no buzzing.  Then I turned on the Luxman P-200 and the humming is gone. 

This powerline problem doesn't seem to affect my integrated amp.  Does it have to do with the Luxman P-200 not having a ground?  (It only has a 2 prong plug.)  Anyone know what could be wrong with my apartment's wiring?  This problem seems to come and go.  Other than this problem, the noise in the wiring seems to be low according to the noise analyzer.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 2
The quote below from Luxman's distributor in the US (On a Higher Note) may help explain your problem:

"You are free to use both the 2 & 3 prong cables; be mindful that if the source is plugged into a different outlet from the amp, you develop a ground hum."

Full thread at http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/427594/luxman-p-200-headphone-amplifier

Quote:
This powerline problem doesn't seem to affect my integrated amp.  Does it have to do with the Luxman P-200 not having a ground?  (It only has a 2 prong plug.)  Anyone know what could be wrong with my apartment's wiring?  This problem seems to come and go.  Other than this problem, the noise in the wiring seems to be low according to the noise analyzer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back