LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
May 12, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #317 of 455
I went back and forth comparing the optical SFP connection vs Ethernet. The SFP sounded much better being wired directly from the modem to the SFP switch (Ethernet) to the X1 (fiber), But…surprisingly I still preferred Ethernet into the X1 vs SFP. The SFP just sounded a tad more siblant and less full and richer than the Ethernet. I was using an upgrade Ethernet cable but no LPS or upgraded power cable on the SFP switch.

May 12, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #318 of 455
I went back and forth comparing the optical SFP connection vs Ethernet. The SFP sounded much better being wired directly from the modem to the SFP switch (Ethernet) to the X1 (fiber), But…surprisingly I still preferred Ethernet into the X1 vs SFP. The SFP just sounded a tad more siblant and less full and richer than the Ethernet. I was using an upgrade Ethernet cable but no LPS or upgraded power cable on the SFP switch.
My connection goes from my router to a TP-Link network switch with SFP port (single mode SFP cage), and then from that SFP port directly to my P1 (using single mode fiber optic cable, into single mode SFP cage on P1). I haven’t had the chance to compare optical vs ethernet, but so far it’s free from any sibilant, and it sounds very full and rich. Very very happy with optical into P1.

Edit: I’m using Finnisar single mode SFP cage on both the network switch and P1, which was recommended by a number of users in another forum who’ve heard a noticeable improvement over other single mode SFP cages.

Last edited:
May 14, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #319 of 455
Edit: I’m using Finnisar single mode SFP cage on both the network switch and P1, which was recommended by a number of users in another forum who’ve heard a noticeable improvement over other single mode SFP cages.
can I ask a favor - can you share the model number of the Finisar SFP module? I’ve seen a few different modules online

May 14, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #320 of 455
I have my U2 Mini back with the distributor to upgrade to Sbooster external PSU. Curious if anyone else has done that upgrade and their impressions? If not, I’ll comment more when I get mine back.

May 14, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #321 of 455
can I ask a favor - can you share the model number of the Finisar SFP module? I’ve seen a few different modules online
No worries, here’s the one I’m using: FTLF1318P3BTL

I bought it off from Mouser. They have quite a few in stock.

May 23, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #325 of 455
I have a black U2 arriving tomorrow. Thoughts from everyone on connecting this to my Denafrips Terminator II 12th via USB or AES?

I had several Denafrips DAC's over the years, with the last being the Terminator Plus. For my ears, not all inputs on the Terminator are created equally from a sonic perspective. Each input has a different sound.

My findings after comparing all inputs is, I2S over RJ45 was best, but too problematic in terms of introducing connectivity gremlins with pops and static noise and the need for an extremely short RJ45 cable which simply was not at all practical. I2S over HDMI was a close second and that is the input I settled on. USB was next best and preferred over AES, RCA or optical.

I very much preferred HDMI to USB. HDMI is more detailed, open, airy and a better soundstage with more clearly defined images and layering. USB didn't highlight those aspects as much, and was a bit warmer sound signature as compared to HDMI, so system matching and personal preferences may lead one to prefer USB to HDMI, but I think the consensus from Terminator owners at the time (when I was more involved in the owners group and following posts) definitely leaned more heavily toward HDMI being the most preferred input of Terminator owners. Of course, HDMI will require you to get a DDC, but I am a fan of DDC's and always use them anyway. Well designed DDC's frequently provide sonic benefits IMO.

Hope this helps, just my two cents.

EDIT: and if you really want to turbo charge everything, buy a Denafrips DDC with clock inputs and engage the clock out feature of your Terminator. That takes things to the next level.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #326 of 455
I had several Denafrips DAC's over the years, with the last being the Terminator Plus. For my ears, not all inputs on the Terminator are created equally from a sonic perspective. Each input has a different sound.

My findings after comparing all inputs is, I2S over RJ45 was best, but too problematic in terms of introducing connectivity gremlins with pops and static noise and the need for an extremely short RJ45 cable which simply was not at all practical. I2S over HDMI was a close second and that is the input I settled on. USB was next best and preferred over AES, RCA or optical.

I very much preferred HDMI to USB. HDMI is more detailed, open, airy and a better soundstage with more clearly defined images and layering. USB didn't highlight those aspects as much, and was a bit warmer sound signature as compared to HDMI, so system matching and personal preferences may lead one to prefer USB to HDMI, but I think the consensus from Terminator owners at the time (when I was more involved in the owners group and following posts) definitely leaned more heavily toward HDMI being the most preferred input of Terminator owners. Of course, HDMI will require you to get a DDC, but I am a fan of DDC's and always use them anyway. Well designed DDC's frequently provide sonic benefits IMO.

Hope this helps, just my two cents.

EDIT: and if you really want to turbo charge everything, buy a Denafrips DDC with clock inputs and engage the clock out feature of your Terminator. That takes things to the next level.

I'll stick with USB for now then. I was about to pull the trigger on an AES cable, but would rather stick with USB, especially since the U2 features 3 USB ports, one of which is dedicated to USB audio out and has special isolation and a direct signal path.

May 23, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #327 of 455
No worries, here’s the one I’m using: FTLF1318P3BTL

I bought it off from Mouser. They have quite a few in stock.
Happy new owner of P1 here and will check out that SFP module. Would you mind sharing the model of TP-Link you used it with. Knowing that it was compatible with Lumin is helpful. I am looking at the TP-Link TL-SG1210P with a BeyondTech LC single mode cable.

May 23, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #329 of 455
Happy new owner of P1 here and will check out that SFP module. Would you mind sharing the model of TP-Link you used it with. Knowing that it was compatible with Lumin is helpful. I am looking at the TP-Link TL-SG1210P with a BeyondTech LC single mode cable.

Welcome to the club and enjoy! The TP-Link I’m using is TL-SG2210P, I guess it’s similar to the one you’re looking at.

May 24, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #330 of 455
Just got the U2 in today and burning it in.

(My bureau isn’t the final resting place for all of this.)

70664170387__3D8FD50D-E165-477F-B1AB-A394934AD0C8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back