LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player
Jan 18, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #106 of 438
One other Potential buy i have thought off is Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition. Anyone can weigh in on how it compares to the streaming capability of Lumin U1 mini or other Lumin products D2 or maybe T2 comes closest? I know its another product an all in one solution where you get dac/amp/streamer. I know people have prefered it to the Chord Dave as an one box solution with claimef better tonality and bass quantity.

Maybe people are familiar with the streaming capability of Uniti Atom without HP amp also?

Or maybe its easy to surpass Uniti Atom HE with Lumin U1 mini with self picked dac say Chord Qutest/Hugo2 and decent amp? If you dont care for a one box sulution.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #107 of 438
One other Potential buy i have thought off is Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition. Anyone can weigh in on how it compares to the streaming capability of Lumin U1 mini or other Lumin products D2 or maybe T2 comes closest? I know its another product an all in one solution where you get dac/amp/streamer. I know people have prefered it to the Chord Dave as an one box solution with claimef better tonality and bass quantity.

Maybe people are familiar with the streaming capability of Uniti Atom without HP amp also?

Or maybe its easy to surpass Uniti Atom HE with Lumin U1 mini with self picked dac say Chord Qutest/Hugo2 and decent amp? If you dont care for a one box sulution.

I haven't heard the Naim - but I Iiked the U1 so much - I thought about the X1 to replace my Dave/MScaler - but I never auditioned it. The U1 is just so good, I figured the X1 would be great as well and imagine the T2 or D2 are very good as well.

If I was in your situation, I think I'd go for the T2 or D2 and buy a really nice headphone amp. You can ensure you get the sound you want by getting a nice amp that matches your tastes - and this is coming from someone with a Dave/Mscaler and a Hugo 2. I like the Hugo 2 for portability - and I use it in my bedroom with a set of closed cans - but I generally wouldn't use it for desktop use - as I think there is good or better for that use case. If you want something that is portable as well - the Hugo 2 is great - but if it's for desktop, I'd get something else. In general, but with notable exceptions, things that have all that stuff and a headphone amp - don't really have a great headphone amp. I think the exceptions would be the Chord stuff and the Bartok.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #108 of 438
I haven't heard the Naim - but I Iiked the U1 so much - I thought about the X1 to replace my Dave/MScaler - but I never auditioned it. The U1 is just so good, I figured the X1 would be great as well and imagine the T2 or D2 are very good as well.

If I was in your situation, I think I'd go for the T2 or D2 and buy a really nice headphone amp. You can ensure you get the sound you want by getting a nice amp that matches your tastes - and this is coming from someone with a Dave/Mscaler and a Hugo 2. I like the Hugo 2 for portability - and I use it in my bedroom with a set of closed cans - but I generally wouldn't use it for desktop use - as I think there is good or better for that use case. If you want something that is portable as well - the Hugo 2 is great - but if it's for desktop, I'd get something else. In general, but with notable exceptions, things that have all that stuff and a headphone amp - don't really have a great headphone amp. I think the exceptions would be the Chord stuff and the Bartok.
I allready got an hugo 2.
Maybe you can see my gear under my post.

With Naim Uniti Atom i could sell my Cambridge CXNv2 streamer with dac(in my book its mid fi decent) and sell hugo 2.

Going Lumin U1mini route: sell CXNv2 maybe keep hugo 2 or sell and pick new dac to start with. Lake People RS02 amp is great for the price imo. Could obviously uppgrade to better amp later on.

Jan 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #109 of 438
I allready got an hugo 2.
Maybe you can see my gear under my post.

With Naim Uniti Atom i could sell my Cambridge CXNv2 streamer with dac(in my book its mid fi decent) and sell hugo 2.

Going Lumin U1mini route: sell CXNv2 maybe keep hugo 2 or sell and pick new dac to start with. Lake People RS02 amp is great for the price imo. Could obviously uppgrade to better amp later on.

I guess the question is what are you trying to do with the sound? CXNv2 > Hugo 2 > RS02, the last thing I'd upgrade is the streamer unless you don't like it functionally, as the differences in sound will be most subtle. In regards to my Hugo 2 point, I think using it as a DAC rather than just a headphone amp, eliminates many of it's deficiencies.

Seems you have quite a well balanced setup - you don't necessarily need to upgrade anything. If I was going to upgrade anything in that setup, I would upgrade the amp, followed by the DAC (and I would get a standalone desktop DAC - something like a Yggy or a Holo May if it's in your price range). I don't doubt the RS02 is a good amp; I've had the v281 for many years and enjoyed it, but I'm gonna sell it now - because I have better amps (let me know if you are interested). I'm just speaking to areas in that chain where you get the most bang for the buck. If you switch to the Naim, it would probably be a sidegrade. That's ok - if you are looking for a one box solution - but I doubt it is significantly better than what you have now.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #110 of 438
I guess the question is what are you trying to do with the sound? CXNv2 > Hugo 2 > RS02, the last thing I'd upgrade is the streamer unless you don't like it functionally, as the differences in sound will be most subtle. In regards to my Hugo 2 point, I think using it as a DAC rather than just a headphone amp, eliminates many of it's deficiencies.

Seems you have quite a well balanced setup - you don't necessarily need to upgrade anything. If I was going to upgrade anything in that setup, I would upgrade the amp, followed by the DAC (and I would get a standalone desktop DAC - something like a Yggy or a Holo May if it's in your price range). I don't doubt the RS02 is a good amp; I've had the v281 for many years and enjoyed it, but I'm gonna sell it now - because I have better amps (let me know if you are interested). I'm just speaking to areas in that chain where you get the most bang for the buck. If you switch to the Naim, it would probably be a sidegrade. That's ok - if you are looking for a one box solution - but I doubt it is significantly better than what you have now.
I read back in thread Lumin U1 mini with sboster is 90-95% of Lumin U1. That dont seem to me streamer/transport make only subtle differences?

Everybody seems hyped about Holo may these days it must be good. I think i am not willing to pay that price though.
I heard good things about these dacs. Also Rockna wavelight seems great.

Muscisian aquarius.
Gustard x26pro
Vmv D2

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #111 of 438
I read back in thread Lumin U1 mini with sboster is 90-95% of Lumin U1. That dont seem to me streamer/transport make only subtle differences?

Everybody seems hyped about Holo may these days it must be good. I think i am not willing to pay that price though.
I heard good things about these dacs. Also Rockna wavelight seems great.

Muscisian aquarius.
Gustard x26pro
Vmv D2

All of these are opinions, including mine. Really - the only way to determine if the various components make a valuable enough difference for you is to demo them.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #112 of 438
All of these are opinions, including mine. Really - the only way to determine if the various components make a valuable enough difference for you is to demo them.
Thanks, you gave me good advice. In my opinion. And all the others too.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #113 of 438
Is there a thread that outlines the differences between the U1 and the U1 mini? The savings seem to mostly be from the smaller case and internal power supply. The mini also has more limited up-sample options, however a DAC I'm looking at already does this. I assume the mainboard must have some differences. I really like the Sbooster power supply/kit at upscale audio and they will install it for you, and you keep your 2-year warranty. Has anyone ever considered different brand power supplies, and do they have kits?

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #114 of 438
AFAIK - you are paying additional for:

- Case (it's a single block of aluminum on the full size U1
- Power Supply
- Some better internal components (higher-end clocks)

You can compare to some extent on the Lumin website.

There is debate as to whether the Sbooster + U1mini is as good as the full size U1, but I imagine it's close. Some say it's not close, some say it's exactly the same. I think the truth is likely somewhere in between (though I haven't listened to the mini). I also think the capabilities of your DAC will definitively make a difference - not just in terms of sample rate but in terms of electrical noise isolation. I think cost no object, go for the full size U1. Value, Linear power supply + U1 mini. I myself have only listened to the full size U1.

It's value is certainly debatable - but I have never seen a case on an audio component as nice as the U1. I imagine diminishing returns sets in with the U1 vs U1 mini, significantly. You can always upgrade further too - my dealer asked if I wanted to buy the X2 power supply with the U1 and that's where I drew the line.

Knowing Lumin, I'm sure you'll be really happy with either. That said, here is a thread where people who have heard both discuss their opinions.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #115 of 438
Anyone using LUMIN steamer ? Didn't find a thread in headfi hence started one.

I just purchased a LUMIN D1, an entry level from LUMIN. Gosh, it's exceptional! Far more superior than any of my previous PC/Soundawave - DAC (MYTEK/TEAC/LHLABS Geek Pulse X).

Sound very promising even when it's not burn-in. Especially the DSD playback, the whole place is filled with harmonized music. RBCD details also impressive, some flac I played previously using MYTEK / TEAC / Geek Pulse X was not be able to produce resolution that D1 does. Soundstage is phenomenal!

I always has the impression that if you're not spending good money for a very good PC & USB DAC, a well designed network steamer will work better anytime for the same amount of money. It's known hard truth that it's extremely difficult to get audiophile quality music reproduction from PC & USB DAC setup.

I'm glad that i bite the bullet to go for LUMIN! Thanks to poison from a friend !

I have been trying to tell people here to check out high end integrated network steamer dac since 2010. It’s not sexy and not cheap and of course everyone thinks they know how to play flac from their computer and only cares about dacs.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #116 of 438
I decided I would like to pull the trigger on a lumin U1 Mini (Black) and SBooster power supply today and called Upscale audio. This was not a good first impression for me with this company. I noticed they are only selling open boxed units at the same price as new units. I asked about getting a new unit and the person I was speaking to told me they just got a memo yesterday that the Mini was being discontinued. Unfortunately, they don't have any NEW black units in stock and can't get any more. I was interested in getting the mini from them because they were allowing you to keep the manufactures warranty if they did the SBooster modification. I also TRIED to verify with them that the Mini does full MQA hardware unfolding and this ended up being an argument with them about MQA in general. I wasn't interested in their opinion about MQA and never asked for it. My question was if the Mini does full hardware MQA unfolding does the DAC need to have any MQA capabilities or will this just be passed through. He seemed to think the DAC needs to also do hardware unfolding. Could someone please clarify this?

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #117 of 438
I decided I would like to pull the trigger on a lumin U1 Mini (Black) and SBooster power supply today and called Upscale audio. This was not a good first impression for me with this company. I noticed they are only selling open boxed units at the same price as new units. I asked about getting a new unit and the person I was speaking to told me they just got a memo yesterday that the Mini was being discontinued. Unfortunately, they don't have any NEW black units in stock and can't get any more. I was interested in getting the mini from them because they were allowing you to keep the manufactures warranty if they did the SBooster modification. I also TRIED to verify with them that the Mini does full MQA hardware unfolding and this ended up being an argument with them about MQA in general. I wasn't interested in their opinion about MQA and never asked for it. My question was if the Mini does full hardware MQA unfolding does the DAC need to have any MQA capabilities or will this just be passed through. He seemed to think the DAC needs to also do hardware unfolding. Could someone please clarify this?

AFAIK - Items without a DAC cannot do the full unfold. That's why you have streamers like the U1/mini and software like Roon, that can only do the first unfold. Ostensibly, this is for DRM so that you don't have access to the fully unfolded digital waveform. Only the fully unfolded analog waveform from the DAC.

And, TBH, I am not a huge fan of MQA for that reason. To me it's unnecessary, when I can get full high-res version either on Qobuz, or through online music stores. And, as it's compressed - I don't think it could actually be better than the full high-res files, but perhaps audibly indistinguishable. It feels to me like a DRM play.

All that said, I am sensitive to the fact that you didn't ask me for my opinion on MQA either - which is why I gave you the answer to the best of my knowledge upfront. The dealer should have done the same. Many people enjoy MQA - who am I, or they, to judge.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #118 of 438
AFAIK - Items without a DAC cannot do the full unfold. That's why you have streamers like the U1/mini and software like Roon, that can only do the first unfold. Ostensibly, this is for DRM so that you don't have access to the fully unfolded digital waveform. Only the fully unfolded analog waveform from the DAC.

And, TBH, I am not a huge fan of MQA for that reason. To me it's unnecessary, when I can get full high-res version either on Qobuz, or through online music stores. And, as it's compressed - I don't think it could actually be better than the full high-res files, but perhaps audibly indistinguishable. It feels to me like a DRM play.

All that said, I am sensitive to the fact that you didn't ask me for my opinion on MQA either - which is why I gave you the answer to the best of my knowledge upfront. The dealer should have done the same. Many people enjoy MQA - who am I, or they, to judge.

Again, I wasn't calling to ask for an opinion on MQA or a streaming service. My God that's been discussed to death in the forums! I would think that a dealer would be smart enough to not even bring that up in a discussion especially with a new customer who didn't ask about it. Also why is an OPEN BOX (USED) unit the same price as a new one? I would love to hear other people's opinions and experiences who own the mini on the MQA decoding. If the mini is actually being discontinued is a replacement in the works?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #119 of 438
Again, I wasn't calling to ask for an opinion on MQA or a streaming service. My God that's been discussed to death in the forums! I would think that a dealer would be smart enough to not even bring that up in a discussion especially with a new customer who didn't ask about it. Also why is an OPEN BOX (USED) unit the same price as a new one? I would love to hear other people's opinions and experiences who own the mini on the MQA decoding. If the mini is actually being discontinued is a replacement in the works?

This is the first I heard of it being discontinued. I don’t know why they are charging new pricing with an open box item, other than the fact that you can’t get them any longer and/or inflation.

My advice: shop around, there are quite a few Lumin dealers - and I’m sure many still have stock. I did for my U1. I got mine from Mike at Audio Archon in Chicago. I’d try there first, but there are others.

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #120 of 438
This is the first I heard of it being discontinued. I don’t know why they are charging new pricing with an open box item, other than the fact that you can’t get them any longer and/or inflation.

My advice: shop around, there are quite a few Lumin dealers - and I’m sure many still have stock. I did for my U1. I got mine from Mike at Audio Archon in Chicago. I’d try there first, but there are others.
Thanks for the reply. I actually sent an EMAIL to Mike and he confirmed the U1 mini has been discontinued and he no longer can get them. I also spoke with two other authorized dealers, and they confirmed the same. What was interesting was one of the Major reputable dealers told me it's being replaced by a U2 Mini and hopefully it will be announced soon. I think I may wait for this model to see what it looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back