Luggage recommendation?
Mar 6, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 21
I can't stand soft case luggage. Next time you're at the airport, look out the window and see how the baggage handlers handle your luggage. The only things that can safely be transported in soft sided luggage are T-shirts and clothes that you don't mind getting wrinkled. Everthing else will be crushed or tossed around so that your stack of very important documents becomes a rat's nest of paper. Also waterproofing wears out, zippers break, and cloth bags are very easy to break into.

Hard sided luggage will also get crushed...eventually. I've been using cheap Samsonite hard sided cases for over 10 years now, about 300 flights. 1 I lost, 1 has 9 years on it and although not too pretty still works well, 1 did get a crushed corner on yet another case, but a hammer pounded out the dent. Avoid the hard brittle types of plastics and get ones with the softer plastics that scratch. My cases have scratches and nicks and lots of strange stickers on them but all work well. Even better, I've not have one crushed object or littered mess since. You will have to pack a little more carefully, trying to fill all the space in the case, otherwise things start shifting around...but that's what the stolen hotel towel is for. Compartmentalizing, layering, and strategic sweater cushioning will make your valuables much more safe.

http://www.ebags.com/samsonite/oyste...fm?modelid=121

It's light, durable, has good wheels, large, and cheap (you can get them for around $50.) Just about the exact same specs as the SKyway you linked to. The disadvantage of the Samsonite is it only has wheels on one corner so if you pack heavy, concentrate the weight towards the wheels.

Same thing goes for carry-on luggage. Get a tiny little hard sided case. I have a wonderful Delsey that's been with me for over 5 years. Costs $250 but was well worth it.

Just watch what the flight attendents and pilots use, and get that.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 21
I'd go to costco, if oyu've got one in the area, and get the kirkland signature series suitcase that fits your size needs. They have the best warranty ever...I bought a rollaboard in 1997. A zipper broke last year ,and they gave me a full refund...

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 21
Good timing on this post. I was just about to start shopping for luggage as all I'm using at the moment is a glorified duffel bag. I was kind of hoping to find something that could hold all of my stuff (a few days worth of clothes + toiletries + camera + ipod) and still be my carry-on. Checking my luggage makes me uneasy.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 21
This is out of your price range, but if anyone is looking for the ultimate solution for luggage, there is nothing better than the bags that pilots use.....The Purdy Neat Stealth bags. Those things are built to travel the world on a daily basis. I've had mine for years and it's truly an incredible bag.

Good luck

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 21
Mikeliao,

THanks for the info but i don't like that type of luggage. The wheel base is too narrow. I've learnt my lesson that dragging those things thru the uneven streets of europe and NY chinatown is a nightmare. I need something comfy to hold and with a wide wheel base.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I've learnt my lesson that dragging those things thru the uneven streets of europe and NY chinatown is a nightmare.

That's what taxi's are for.
biggrin.gif
Just kidding.

If you're going off the beaten path...well, European cobbled streets and potholed NY Chinatown beaten path, then nothing beats a porter's case. http://www.portercase.com Not cheap but will last a long long time. Very nice wheels. Stash clothes and non-crushable stuff in a duffle bag and the rest in the hardside.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'd go to costco, if oyu've got one in the area, and get the kirkland signature series suitcase that fits your size needs. They have the best warranty ever...I bought a rollaboard in 1997. A zipper broke last year ,and they gave me a full refund...

Second on the Costco house brand. Used to only buy Tumi, but there is no comparison with Costco's quality and price. Two sizes of black ballistic nylon roller bags are available; one will go carry on and the other is as big (and expandable) as a bag can be with 50# per bag max weight regulations.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 21
Costco is a members only warehouse, but the only one I've found to be worthwhile (@$45/year). The 26" bag is $140 and the carry on is $110. Judging from their website, Costco has greatly expanded their house line of luggage; there are 7 bags listed from $60 to $160. I hope my wife doesn't see this . . . .

Mar 9, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a luggage. Preferences

1. Relatively light
2. Good wheels
3. Durable
4. Large (27" upwards)
5. Reasonable price
6. Wide wheel base.

I was looking at the Skyway FL-air 5 29". Only $99. Any other rec? Thanks

http://www.ebags.com/skyway/fl_air_5...?modelid=42466

If you have a Marshall's or TJMax in your area, good luggage can usually be found here at great prices fitting your given preferences. Check it out...

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #15 of 21
nabwong says,
Luggage recommendation?
Quote:

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a luggage. Preferences

1. Relatively light
2. Good wheels
3. Durable
4. Large (27" upwards)
5. Reasonable price
6. Wide wheel base.

Nabwong, in life you can buy the best and cry once or buy cheap stuff over and over and cry often. Cry Once!

I own a number of sets of luggage. My favorite, all-in-one, is the Victorinox Trek Pack Plus 3.0 - 24" Wheeled Backpack with Docking Daypack. It is the bomb and no check-in!

SEE: http://www.luggagebase.com/btc/searc...51004200000000

ps: The service shop is on Beach Street, Boston, Massachusetts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back