Lubricating older CD players
Jan 9, 2003 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

OriginalReaper

500+ Head-Fier
I got my D-25S today. It's very, very pretty. Nice n shiny buttons...
smily_headphones1.gif

When I pressed the open button and it only got halfway up. Also, I will probably need to lubricate the gears inside. How risky is this
confused.gif
I never open CD players...

I'm going to use oil that came with an electronic hair clipper.

thanks

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 19
If your CD drawer is not opening fully I doubt it's because a lack of lubrication. You can try lubricating the gears etc but please don't use "oil"

The best stuff to use is grease. If you can't get hold of any grease then smear a very thin film of vaseline on the mechanism.

The last thing you want to do is to squirt oil onto the workings.

Pinkie

Jan 9, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 19
On any malfunctioning mechanical parts of an older CD player (or one that's been shipped), I would be concerned about wires or crud that have gotten in the way of the mechanism. I no longer worry about carefully taking off a CD player's cover, using a vacuum cleaner to remove loose dust and debris, and compressed air to clean the case out completely. Then look at the tray and other mechanical parts when they operate and make sure there is nothing jamming or blocking them; I had this happen with a wire in a new Yamaha player once. If the gears and toothed tracks are clean, then a light grease like lubriplate applied sparingly is the ticket. Just remember; clean first or you'll just have to clean out your fresh lubricant too later.

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 19
I don't think it's supposed to open the whole way! My D-99 and Denon DCP150 don't do that, neither does my more recent Philips PCDP. They just open slightly, you need to pull them open yourself, no gears involved.

Be very careful, only lubricate the worm gear when the thing is skipping too much, or first try to get it replaced if it does.
These older PCDPs are quite tricky to open, I've opened a lot of stuff, but managed to break the megabass button of my D-99 when opening it. Also a wire came loose, which I fortunately could resolder after I located the right spot.

These things haven't been made to open up easily, be very careful, if you don't have to, don't open it.

Jan 10, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 19
I dont have an A/C adapter yet, so it's just sitting there. I can get the adapter monday at the very least
frown.gif

I just wanted to have it ready by the time I got the wall wart.

BTW, I have a wall wart for my PC speakers. The jack fits in there perfectly, but the D-25S doesn't power up when I press the play button. Does anyone know why? I assume that it's because it needs an "M" adapter
confused.gif

the adapter is 9v 1000mA
it also says class 2 transformer (don't know what that means)

Jan 10, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #6 of 19
Probably the wrong polarity, with the Sony adaptor for my D-99, plus is on the outside of the plug.

Jan 11, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
Probably the wrong polarity, with the Sony adaptor for my D-99, plus is on the outside of the plug.

I understood the polarity issue, but I don't know what you mean in the rest of the sentence.

Jan 11, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 19
[size=medium]I'm sorry![/size]

I did not realize we were dealing with a PCDP and not a home/AC unit. What I suggested about cleaning and lubrication does not apply to a PCDP. I have never seen a PCDP with a motorized drawer. You can clean PCDPs as far as you can see into them and blow them out a bit, but I agree completely with not opening them to work on them. PCDPs are essentially disposable when broken.

If you decide to get it worked on by folks who know how, you are looking at a basic/minimum charge of $75 or so and then labor, parts and materials for the rest. At the end of all this, you have paid for it again and it's just as

[size=medium]Good as used![/size]

as opposed to "good as new". Better to put the repair money into the new one, or (as I would do) take your best shot at fixing it yourself, enjoying it (if your "fix" works) and biting the bullet and buying a new one (with a warranty) if your "fix" turns out as mine sometimes do . . . .
redface.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by OriginalReaper
I understood the polarity issue, but I don't know what you mean in the rest of the sentence.

There are two contacts on the plug, one on the outside and one on the inside, usually the inside one is the 'plus' and the outside one is 'minus', however with the older Sony PCDPs the polarity is the other way around. Hope this makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #10 of 19
Does radio shack sell "reversers"? Perhaps I wont need an ac adapter after all, just a "reverser"

. . .

And there is absolutely no way in hell I'm paying $75 for repairs or lubricants.
I don't even know if it's broken yet
tongue.gif
. If it is I would rather send it back.

Jan 11, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Does radio shack sell "reversers"? Perhaps I wont need an ac adapter after all, just a "reverser"

Good question, never heard of a converter like that, though it might just exist.

Jan 11, 2003 at 3:00 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I got my D-25S today. It's very, very pretty. Nice n shiny buttons...
smily_headphones1.gif

When I pressed the open button and it only got halfway up. Also, I will probably need to lubricate the gears inside. How risky is this
confused.gif
I never open CD players...

I'm going to use oil that came with an electronic hair clipper.

thanks

If you got this from Silicon Salvage, I'd try contacting them before doing anything else. From what I've heard, they're pretty good about replacing defective units.

Jan 11, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 19
I would agree with the return if possible. If you stay in this hobby, you will have some cleaners and lubricants sitting around just 'cause you need them. I never intended you to gho the pay for "good as used route", although it is common for consumers. If you are sure about the polarity, then reverse wire the wall wart and you have your own "converter". Nothing is sacred with what man hath made! Have some simple wire tools and soldering gear; you'll never be sorry.

Jan 11, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 19
Why should you never use oil to lubricate, and rather use lubricants like grease? Just a knowledge question!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2003 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrick
Why should you never use oil to lubricate, and rather use lubricants like grease? Just a knowledge question!
smily_headphones1.gif

Most PCDPs are "permanently lubricated" with lubrication sealed in where the manufacturer thinks it should be. A lot of plastic parts' surfaces (ie. toothed gears and toothed tracks) are considered to be self-lubricating. Lubricants attract and hold dust and dirt causing things to get more gunked up. Grease was originally suggested because the original question hinted at a CD drawer that was sticking and those involve gears and toothed tracks for their operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back