LS50 Passive Vs LS50 Wireless
May 4, 2019 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NoodleBoy91

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently in the market for some speakers and looking at the lS50's. Now initially I was sure and set on the passive version but I keep hearing about the actives and how good they sound. How much better they sound than the passive version. Reading one review, it sounded like they can best 20k worth of equipment. The guy at the audio store said they sound amazing too and mirrored these claims as well.
So then I was kinda set on the wireless version if they sound better, plus I wouldn't need an amp.

So I thought I gotta listen to these things. Because maybe they are the speakers to buy.

To be honest my first impressions of them.. I liked the passives better.. they sounded great but to me it sounded like they had more bass and the mids and highs were not as prominent as on the passives. The bass, while there was more of it, seemed slightly muddy. I listened to them using Bluetooth then using USB connection.

Then we switched to the passives with a moon amp and also a 300watt Peachtree. Put on the same songs and the vocals and depth of the vocals were amazing. The sound stage was incredible.. the details. The vocals were so lively and came out towards me way more. There was definitely less bass but it felt cleaner and the separation between instruments was more apparent.
I know these amps are quite expensive in the 3k to 5k range. But if that's the potential of the passives.

This has conflicted me now because I was fully expecting to prefer the actives.
Everything I read says the opposite that the actives have a better soundstage, better tighter bass, more detail and most people who have used both mostly prefer the wireless version. etc etc...

I listened to them at two different locations both passives and actives.

Gonna go back and definitely give the actives another try in better conditions and using a turntable this time. I'll be a/bing them side by side next week so I shall see which I prefer.

Have any of you tried both of these speakers? If so which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,

May 11, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 4
I've never gotten to use the LS50 wireless, but I've own a pair of passive LS50s. One thing about them that you didn't seem to touch on in your post is how badly the bass is rolled off. A subwoofer is mandatory with them by virtue of the fact that a whole lot of information will just not be played by these speakers. That's where the active LS50s come into play- if you aren't willing to set up a sub, they're better than the passives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back