Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Feb 19, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #512 of 804
@Basick,

I'm unfamiliar with the SoundBlaster X-Fi you are using; however, when you say,
the soundblaster X-Fi which has an equalizer on it that naturally boosts the volume already because of all the gains I have on it
it might help to know that typically when an EQ boosts certain frequencies, there is usually a "Safe Headroom" decrease in volume applied which is just slightly greater than the volume increase of the maximum frequency boost on the EQ. For example, if I load the HiFiMAN HE 4XX calibration profile in SonarWorks, you can see that the green line is the calibration profile it applies and that the "Safe Headroom" is on and the "Gain" is set to -6.1 dB to account for the 6 dB boosts around 30 Hz and 2 kHz:

1613782127748.png

This "Safe Headroom" is applied to prevent clipping from happening at the boosted frequencies. I'm surprised that you are able to boost all the frequencies without getting any clipping, but then again I am unfamiliar with what SoundBlaster X-Fi is doing and it may be perfectly fine.

If you wanted to get a fairer comparison between your computer output and the SDAC output, you might try lowering all the frequency boosts in SoundBlaster X-Fi by 18 dB. So you'd have -2, 1, 0, -2, -4, 0, 3, 3, 4, 2; and, in theory, your calibration would be the same yet centered around the normal maximum volume. If the calibration doesn't sound the same, maybe only lower all your settings by 13 dB, that way everything would still be boosted (a little), and try that comparison.

You also asked,
Are there any unanimously good audio enhancer software that I should look into?

I know SonarWorks, which simply applies an EQ preset to your headphones, lets you listen for a free trial of about 20 days or so, but after that, you have to buy a license, which is $100 unless you wait for a sale. I bought them because I got tired of trying to EQ all my headphones. However, if you tried their software and you liked it better than the Oratory EQ settings you already like, then you could simply try to match their EQ setting in APO, but just a warning you could spend a lot of time doing this. If you're already particularly happy with your setup, I'd say stick with it, no need to spend extra money on more software.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #513 of 804
I noticed when I use the volume all the way to max I hear hum/buzzing noise but when no DAC connected to the inputs its clean black bg why is that?

While listening to the balanced output, I also hear a humming/buzzing noise at max volume when I have the single-ended input selected and it is connected to my DAC. However, with the balanced input selected, even though it is connected to my DAC, I have a clear black background just the same as when nothing is connected. I ultimately decided that must be part of the reason why the balanced input sounds better than the single-ended input on the Loxjie P20. I did find "Real-World Balanced Interfaces and Other-World Myths" by Bill Whitlock which makes it seem like there could be a common-impedance coupling issue on the unbalanced input that causes that noise, but I have no way to prove that. I wouldn't waste any time trying to solve that as it may be something else with the single-ended input portion of the amp.

For example, while listening to the single-ended output, I hear a lot more humming/buzzing with the single-ended input selected and I also hear humming/buzzing with the balanced input selected. Not sure I can completely answer your question, but this seems to correlate well to how most people like this amp fully balanced best.

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #514 of 804
I'm planning to buy a p20, I don't have a balanced dac but I do have a Hiby r3 pro which has a 2.5mm balanced output. Can I connect that to the p20 with a 2.5mm to dual 3 pin xlr? And if that is possible should I turn the volume up fully on my r3 pro?

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #515 of 804
I do have a Hiby r3 pro which has a 2.5mm balanced output. Can I connect that to the p20 with a 2.5mm to dual 3 pin xlr?
Yes and
if that is possible should I turn the volume up fully on my r3 pro?
Yes, maxing out the volume on the r3 pro will minimize any noise the Loxjie P20 will have to amplify. :)

Feb 20, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #517 of 804
Thanks! But is it really ok to input a signal that is already amplified to another amplifier? I have read in some places that it might not be good to do such.

If you look at the Specs for the Hiby R3 Pro, you'll see that its output voltage is basically what you'd expect as a standard Line Output level - to feed the input of an amp, like the P20. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #518 of 804
Looking at pics of the other tubes that I've seen online, it seems like mine are not as bright.

Could there be an issue with mine?

Its the stock tubes, it sounds fine and nothing seems to be wrong otherwise.
2021-02-20.jpg

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #519 of 804
Looking at pics of the other tubes that I've seen online, it seems like mine are not as bright.

2021-02-20.jpg

If you're not having issues with sound, and the tubes are glowing, then you are fine. Other peoples pictures could be using different lighting, different tubes, different cameras. The glow level of different tubes is generally not a great indicator of the tubes quality, unless there is a clear issue between the two sides (for example, one side is not lit).

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #520 of 804

2021-02-20.jpg

You're perfectly fine, if they sound good you're OK, turn off the lights for both good sound and visuals :D

Feb 22, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #521 of 804
I really love this amp with 5670W JAN fully balanced, Focal Clear shine with it :kissing_closed_eyes: Bass becomes something else
Please elaborate on this. All the filthy details please.

Have you rolled any other tubes ? If so how does it compare to the 5670w?

Feb 22, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #522 of 804
Please elaborate on this. All the filthy details please.

Have you rolled any other tubes ? If so how does it compare to the 5670w?
With 5670w I instantly felt smaller soundstage, very detailed sound, amazing bass and pleasant tube sound. No dryness

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #524 of 804
Considering the p20 as a "fun" second amp, running against a very neutral solid state amp. Headphones currently mid level loads (DT990 250Ohm, HD660S). At its selling price it's hard to go wrong and I'm curious about the various tube options - but I don't want to disappear down a rabbit hole. Would the stock tubes give a fairly typical valve sound?

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #525 of 804
Considering the p20 as a "fun" second amp, running against a very neutral solid state amp. Headphones currently mid level loads (DT990 250Ohm, HD660S). At its selling price it's hard to go wrong and I'm curious about the various tube options - but I don't want to disappear down a rabbit hole. Would the stock tubes give a fairly typical valve sound?
I did not tube roll yet (and I am not sure if I will ever), but many impressions around here are that stock tubes are more "tube-sounding" than some other 3rd party tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back