Loxjie P20 Discussion- Starved for information on this thing!
Apr 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #376 of 802
Has Loxjie P20 not one red LED and one blue LED? That should be purple color default.
Btw I agree the blue lights are terrible fashion. My Marantz amp has a lots of them

The internal LEDs (the ones below the tubes) are purple (probably one red and another blue). But the front panel is blue (and very annoying).

loxjie p20.jpg

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #377 of 802
Has anybody try the p20 with the akg 712 pro?

I have just bought a Pro ject s2 pre box dac and an AKG 712 pro, and I am a little dissapointed listening flac, I hoped much more because the are my first hi-fi hd and dac, and I am not getting much more improvememt from my superlix 30€ headphones and spotify streaming. So I am thinking tha maybe this headphone need some amplifier.
Thanks a sorry because my english.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #378 of 802
A couple of observations about the P20 circuitry -

1.) For the Output Op-Amp power supply circuit - they're using a LM317T / LM337T pair of regulators, set to ±18Vdc.
So, if you're planning to do op-amp rolling, they need to be rated for at least a ±18Vdc supply.
Or, by changing a couple of SMT resistors (the "102" connected to the Adjustment Pin 1 on the regulators), the voltage could be reduced to ±15Vdc or ±12Vdc.
2.) While there are 47Ω current limiting resistors in series with Pin 1 of the four op-amps, which drive the L+, L-, R+, R- outputs --- those resistors are inside the feedback loops created by the adjacent 47Ω resistors that connect to the non-inverting input Pin 3 on the four op-amps. Having the current limiting resistors inside the feedback loops, means that the circuits appear to have 0Ω output resistance. An explanation is here - Stackexchange.com - measuring-output-impedance-of-op-amp
3.) The taller components (Relay, Capacitor, Output Jack) that are very near to the op-amp sockets, still means that larger discrete op-amps won't fit.

For #1, I've determined that the LM317T / LM337T pair of regulators are actually being used to output the ±7Vdc.
I can't figure out which components are being used to make the ±18Vdc, so I don't how to reduce the voltage to ±12Vdc (to use a wider range of op-amps).

Apr 16, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #379 of 802
For #1, I've determined that the LM317T / LM337T pair of regulators are actually being used to output the ±7Vdc.
I can't figure out which components are being used to make the ±18Vdc, so I don't how to reduce the voltage to ±12Vdc (to use a wider range of op-amps).

I've sent an email to Loxjie, asking how I might reduce the ±18Vdc to ±12Vdc.
Hopefully they'll answer.

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #380 of 802
If anyone here has a couple of either Amperex Holland made 6DJ8 or RCA / RCA Command 5670 tubes they'd be interested in trading for a matched pair of Tesla 6N3P-type tubes I'd be willing to trade with them. The Teslas are NOS and never used a single time. Come with their original boxes as well. I'll gladly send pics if anyone is interested. Just message me if so; thanks! Oh, by the way these tubes were purchased specifically to use with my LAP if that helps.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #381 of 802
Hello all,

I had the luck that my brother gave me his P20 for free :) - and I can honestly say that i like the sound the amplifier produces very much, though I have to admit that my experience with amps is very limited.

Because I would like to try the P20 in balanced mode I am looking for a "cheap" DAC. After a little search I found the iBasso DC01. According to iBasso it is a "Hi-Res Balanced DAC" - so the dongle should do the job???

Sorry for my - maybe stupide - questione, but I am a totally noob :L3000:.

Abyss

Apr 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #382 of 802
Hello all,

I had the luck that my brother gave me his P20 for free :) - and I can honestly say that i like the sound the amplifier produces very much, though I have to admit that my experience with amps is very limited.

Because I would like to try the P20 in balanced mode I am looking for a "cheap" DAC. After a little search I found the iBasso DC01. According to iBasso it is a "Hi-Res Balanced DAC" - so the dongle should do the job???

Abyss

I don't know the iBasso DC01 per si, but thinking that it is a portable dac, I believe he is also an amplifier. So, I am told that put an amplified signal in another amplifier degrades the signal very much. So I believe that your best alternatives are:

iFi Zen DAC
https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Zen-DAC-Converter-Unbalanced/dp/B07YZK5MDS

Drop + Grace Design Standard Balanced DAC
https://drop.com/buy/drop-grace-design-standard-dac-balanced

Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro
https://geshelli.com/shop/ols/categories/enog2-pro

SMSL M300 MkII
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJQDSF2
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000619131130.html

I believe iFi is the best for fun, the Geshelli is best for critical listening, the SMSL has the best features. But I am also a noob. Let's see if any member more experienced could add something to my resume.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #383 of 802
Hello all,

Abyss

While the Balanced output voltage of the iBasso DCO1 is at least 1.2V, which is appropriate for the XLR Balanced Input of the P20 - the DCO1 only has L+, L-, R+, R- connections, and doesn't have a GND (the third pin on the XLR jack). So, there may be an issue with noise.
Doing a check of DACs with Balanced outputs, I'm not seeing any strictly portable units, and it looks like the SMSL SU-8 might be the least expensive model - at $250.
https://www.amazon.com/Decoder-SMSL-2ES9038Q2M-768kHz-Balance/dp/B07DQDNF6S/

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #384 of 802
While the Balanced output voltage of the iBasso DCO1 is at least 1.2V, which is appropriate for the XLR Balanced Input of the P20 - the DCO1 only has L+, L-, R+, R- connections, and doesn't have a GND (the third pin on the XLR jack). So, there may be an issue with noise.
I believe that the iFi DAC that I mentioned could suffer of the same problem since the balanced output is 4.4mm.

Doing a check of DACs with Balanced outputs, I'm not seeing any strictly portable units, and it looks like the SMSL SU-8 might be the least expensive model - at $250.
https://www.amazon.com/Decoder-SMSL-2ES9038Q2M-768kHz-Balance/dp/B07DQDNF6S/
Besides the iFi DAC, the other units that I mentioned are full balanced and less expensive than the SU-8. The M300 MkII is about the same price, but you gain Bluetooth input and a DAC that measures better than the SU-8 (according to audiosciencereview.com).

The HiFi Express has the SMSL M300 Mark II in stock (as opposed to Amazon).
https://hifi-express.com/products/s...1&_sid=76ae4d7e4&_ss=r&variant=31495631208548

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #385 of 802
I believe that the iFi DAC that I mentioned could suffer of the same problem since the balanced output is 4.4mm.

Besides the iFi DAC, the other units that I mentioned are full balanced and less expensive than the SU-8. The M300 MkII is about the same price, but you gain Bluetooth input and a DAC that measures better than the SU-8 (according to audiosciencereview.com).

If you have a DAC with a 4.4mm output, it should have a GND connection.
But, most devices that have a 4.4mm jack, are designed to drive headphones.
Sony_4.4_Balanced_Jack.jpg

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #387 of 802
May 9, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #389 of 802
My project this weekend - Install a set of Tantalum & Ceramic bypass capacitors for the op-amp sockets. There's just enough space between the case and the back of the board, for the capacitors to fit. Photos to follow. :relaxed:
OK - Finished with the mod, and here's the set of capacitors, connected to the ±18Vdc power pins, and to GND -
(the Kapton tape is insulating the output relay pins)
IMG_20200509_124028.jpg
The P20 still sounds good, and should be less likely to have issues with noise, when op-amp rolling.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #390 of 802
I bought the smsl sp 200, it has balanced inputs and outputs but it is not a true double mono balanced amplifier, the loxie instead?
As far as I know, the Loxjie P20 is a true balanced headphone amplifier. I have a P20 and a Magni Heresy, from Schiit. Two different beasts. I think you will like to compare the P20 to the SP200, specially if you try different tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back