Lowest Ripple/Noise PSU for Audio/HTPC PC?
Jan 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Alexander01

Head-Fier
I was thinking about the PicoPSU 150XT with this AC-DC adapter: http://www.short-circuit.com/product...50W-AC-DC.html

Does anyone know how low the ripple is with that AC/DC adapter?
The adapter from short-circuit is basically a newer/updated version from http://www.edac.com.tw/product/produ...3x%20(new).pdf (short-circuit confirmed this via email)

Is this a good choice for a HTPC/Audio-PC with low voltage noise/ripple?

I'm also considering the Silverstone ST40NF (also fanless).
Hope someone here can give me some good advise
smily_headphones1.gif

My sytem will be a low power Clarkdale system (H55 mainboard, Core i3 530 CPU, 4GB RAM, Postville 80GB SSD and ofcourse a good Soundcard).

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 16
I've bought the Corsair 400W after reading this french test(they compared 10 PSU's or so): Google Translate
Quote:

The results are simply excellent. Rails +12 V and +5 V have very low ripple and noise, which surpass those of almost all high-end power supplies we've tested.

a far cry from my previous BeQuiet 500W on my HD2, I can tell you that
smily_headphones1.gif

anandtech also did a PSU shootout where they measured ripple if you wanna have a look

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've bought the Corsair 400W after reading this french test(they compared 10 PSU's or so): Google Translate

a far cry from my previous BeQuiet 500W on my HD2, I can tell you that
smily_headphones1.gif

anandtech also did a PSU shootout where they measured ripple if you wanna have a look

Did you compared the BeQuiet and Corsair on the same system with the HD2? What differences in audio did you noticed? Clearer and less muddy?

Jan 23, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 16
I can confirm that Corsairs are great power supplies. I got a very nice stable TX850 here, which has been going at it for about 6 months now. No odd problems whatsoever. I'll be hooking up an Essence STX to it soon, so we'll see whether it outputs a proper clean power for that, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 16
Jan 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Hi this is hocus pocus. Sound cards, mid-level and above are effectively perfect, including any effects of ripple, which they filter out. On the other hand almost any running fan in the same (small-medium) room as the listener is audible to good ears and measureable.

So to make a good PC for audio, just make it as quiet as possible.

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 16
Seasonic makes some of the Corsair PSU, so they are both excellent PSU. Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling and Sparkle Power, they also make solid PSU.

Regardless for your sound hardware, you should get a good PSU anyway, last thing you want is to have unclean power going through your hardware(s).

I personally use a Corsair, HX1000W, and it's probably one of my best investments I have made with my computer.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi this is hocus pocus. Sound cards, mid-level and above are effectively perfect, including any effects of ripple, which they filter out. On the other hand almost any running fan in the same (small-medium) room as the listener is audible to good ears and measureable.

So to make a good PC for audio, just make it as quiet as possible.

I know the most modern soundcards have good filter stuff, but i think it's always better to feed the soundcard with the cleanest power as possible. The quality of the motherboard components is also important if the soundcard doesn't have a seperate power connector.

Currenty I have the Corsair HX620 but the ripple isn't very low. It's between 35-40mv on the +12v line in the most tests. 10mv and lower is the best I have seen in the most tests. Those PSU's that can output that clean are mostly 850 watt Power Supplies which are very bad in terms of efficiency when using it with a system that only draws 30-40 watt IDLE and up to 70-80 watt load.

The perfect power supply for me would be a fanless 100-200 watt ATX PSU with 80plus gold (90% efficiency at half load) and lower then 10mv ripple on the +12v line.
My case has a seperate chamber for the Power Supply with vents on the top for hot air. For such a low powered system I can use a fanless ATX power supply. It would barely get warm.

I could use the Silverstone ST40NF but according to the test at HardwareSecrets it has 56mv ripple on the +12v while my Corsair HX620 (also tested by HardwareSecrets) has 34-38mv on the +12v.

It's hard to get a low powered high efficiency power supply with ultra low ripple.

I'm also still considering the PicoPSU 150XT with an EDAC 150watt AC-DC adapter (EA11801A-120)

According to the specs in the PDF it has 1.5% Max Ripple/Noise. It this more then 10mv on low loads?

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lxxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regardless for your sound hardware, you should get a good PSU anyway, last thing you want is to have unclean power going through your hardware(s).

Yes good point, and you don't want a cheap no-name PSU that might malfunction.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Yes good point, and you don't want a cheap no-name PSU that might malfunction.

and probably ruin your whole system.. even just a mediocre psu would be bad. high ripple and bad load regulation will kill off your components...

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you compared the BeQuiet and Corsair on the same system with the HD2? What differences in audio did you noticed? Clearer and less muddy?

I did A/B several times to rule out placebo a bit, and I'd say the sound was less metallic and more detailed.

if you check all the pages on the french link I posted above, the Corsair CX400 had much better 12V ripple than even some of the top Corsair PSU's that have a solid cap on the 12V...to me this PSU is really a no brainer, works like a champ and dirt cheap!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory2&reid=113

hah, his reviews are hard to take seriously...he's on facebook and all those moronic sites I guess? oooh hahh great, awesome good god, I wanna kiss myself! watcha, it's good, it's great you wanna buy it! order it now <3 !11!!!1!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back