lowering output of mp3 player/ headphones too loud
Sep 1, 2007 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

patalp

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my ultimate ears super.fi 5 pro and when i use them with my ms zune, the volume is way too high. Even volume 1 is too high for some songs. However, when I use ue's supplied attenuator the sound quality is a lot lower. Is there any way to lower the output of my zune without diminishing the sound quality?

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 7
I haven't used an attenuator yet that didn't color the sound in some way
confused.gif
How much they affect the sound quality varies greatly from headphone to headphone with different players.

radio shack makes a little volume attenuator, but its a little bulky and (most likely) colors the sound in some way.

I'm not up on my MP3 knowledge, but you might want to look into a rockbox mod... perhaps there is a fix "in there" somewhere.

Might want to post this to the portables section.

Good Luck

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 7
I find rockbox very cool,very battery battering but cool none the less,amusing EQ and so on but i havnt really seen much with a rockbox ipod that impacts volume just a bit more detailed EQing,attenuators are designed to lower the volume IF the source is putting out unusual volume output,the super fi's may just not be a good pairing with your zune,very unlikely tho.

i find the attenuator eliminates hiss with my se530 but yeh it does impact sound a little

Sep 1, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 7
Headphone amp can help actually...Tomahawk on gain of 1 serves as a very good attenuator + generally helps IEMs out a bit.

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone amp can help actually...Tomahawk on gain of 1 serves as a very good attenuator + generally helps IEMs out a bit.

x2.. I was going to mention that... but am trying to save the OP some $$$
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

An amp with low impedance IEMs is pretty much a MUST, at least with my portable players, they hiss like crazy.

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Get a P->S converter and add 75ohms impedance to your 'phone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back