Low Profile IEM's?
Mar 20, 2010 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

elcarajo

100+ Head-Fier
I have a set of Shure 530's that need recabling. I got to thinking the other day, though, that it would be nice if I could get some new IEM's that would fit beneath my Peltor Sound Trap hearing protectors (like full-sized cans but without the fun). The 530's get press into my ear canals, blocking the music as they do so, and they hurt (under the Peltors, that is).

Anyone have any thoughts on lowest profile, high end IEM's that might fit the bill? It would be a bonus if they also provided passive noise cancelling.

VMT

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the most low profile iem i know of is the audio technica ck10

this. you can basically lay down sideways with ck10s in and you'll barely notice them.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 20
Same with the Westone 2. Perfectly flush with my ears that nothing ever sit flush in.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 20
Westone 2 is relatively low profile, but does stick out a bit. Klipsch x10 is light and comfortable, but sticks out alot more. The lowest profile IEM out there now is the soundmagic pl50. It is unbelievably flat, resting perfectly flush with the ear. Unlike the other IEMs mentioned, no part of it sticks outside.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 20
i dunnoe, but the etymotic er6i's look mighty small... either that or they have huge tips...

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 20
What about the SoundMAGIC PL50. Though I don't (yet) have them pictures and reviews show a very low profile and they do seem to be respected sound wise if not actually high end.

Andy

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsh x10s are really small as well.

I used to wear the X10's with a motorcycle helmet without feeling them, Im actually thinking of getting a pair again...... they have been the most comfortable universal I have owned/tried....

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsh x10s are really small as well.

Wires of the X10 stick out though, can't lie down on them without hte wire getting awkward. Try the VModa Vibe, similar to X10s but wires are perpendicular so they don't get in the way as much (you can also loop them over your ear if you want).

You want something like the IE8 which fit snugly and then you loop the wires over your head. Shures have this feature too, but the IEM tends to be bulbous like you said the 530s still hurt. IE series though are quite flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back