Low Isolation IEMs
Jun 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #16 of 20
Yeah, beside TF10, my amped PK1 will trash most of my IEM without a doubt.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #17 of 20
Looks like I did not express things very clearly above. When I said I would put the money towards better IEMs I meant that rather than spending the $79 on the Yunis, I could use that money as part payment for some high end IEMs. One of the things I wish to avoid is having a lot of "decent but not really great" headphones lying around. The decision is thus do I spend money on better earbuds or not. If I did not have the Apple earbuds, no question, I would buy some PK2s. However I now need to balance is the upgrade from Apple earbuds to PK2s vs. having part payment for better IEMs. The earbuds will only be used when I dont have full size headphones, and the isolation of my IEMs is not suitable. So at this stage I am leaning towards putting up with the Apples, and putting that money as part payment towards improving my listening experience at other times.

If the PK2s were available for say under $50 I might try them. The PK3s are at that price point, but the reviews I have read all state they have a strong bass. I prefer a flat response, so the PK3s would almost certainly be too bass heavy for me. Even the PK2s may be too bass heavy, but all my searching for a frequency response plot has failed to uncover anything, so I cannot be sure.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #18 of 20
Less isolation? Sounds like you'd need to use a regular earbud
frown.gif

Even an IEM with lower isolation might be too much if you need to hear what's going on around you.

Jun 22, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #20 of 20
On the subject of the PK3s:

I own these buds, as I, like you, had a need for portable 'phones where I could not feasibly use ones that heavily isolate. Sure, 90% of the time when I'm out and about the ER-4P are stuffed in my ear.

But when I'm jogging, I can't use them due to bone conduction; the thumps of my feet hitting pavement become as loud as thunderclaps.

I'm very far from a basshead; I love my ER-4P and my AD700s, neither of which are bassy cans, and I owned a pair of DT880s for several years before selling them off (stupidly). The PK3s are definitely bassier than what I prefer... when listening to them in a quiet room without any ambient noise.

Out on the streets, with cars and people talking and yelling, babies crying, dogs barking, et cetera... the extra bass is helpful. All that ambient sound would have made the earbuds sound tinny and weak without that extra bit of bass, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back