low gain / high gain ?
Sep 28, 2008 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'll be receiving a Pico probably in a few weeks time. It will be my first headphone amp. I wanted to ask about the uses and differences of low and high gain settings.

Do you base the decision on which gain setting to use on the impedance of the headphone in use? I am assuming high gain for higher impedance? What is the difference at the difference settings?

What would be recommended for use with ESW9 which is 42ohm ?

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 8
low gain for 42ohm
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 8
Always choose to use low gain first. If you feel that you didn't get enough volume, than switch to high gain.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 8
Low gain usually to me sounds better in most cases. High gain can tend to be bright in some cases.

Sep 28, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 8
Ya... High gain makes the Sound output very bright even if the volume level is tolerable.

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 8
I've often wondered about this difference myself. I know you're supposed to match gain to your headphones, but what else do you get?? Longer battery life with low vs. high?? Better SQ with one or the other?? I find on my Hornet I can set gain to "medium" and it's perfect for both IEMs and Beyer 880s. The Portaphile I keep on "low" gain and everything works well on that setting.

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 8
I had a similar conversation w/ Ray in regards to the gain switch on the new SR71A. Depending on the manufacturer they probably used resistors of different values to achieve the various gains.

Their use will have an small but audible effect, thus you may want to experiment. If the volume pot gives you enough travel you may prefer the high gain with your cans. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back