Low cost Streamer
Jul 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 39
It will be interesting to see if this new chromecast audio device actually appears. Strange that they pulled out of Audio Streaming when it was gaining favour. It’s a bit like Logitech dropping the squeezebox.
Clearly g00gle is just about spying and money and nothing they do has made sense to anybody but them :D

But sure if they put out a cheap device with hopefully coax this time instead of optical and it's cheap, it might be worth having for certain situations.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #17 of 39
It's a convenience solution, it is not a hifi or audiophile solution
Of course it's an audiophile solution - it's something that helps someone who loves sound stream music.

I have a HiFi ROSE RS150 which is a very, very expensive streaming capable DAC. When I play a 24/48 stream via Roon into both the RS150 and the CCA, which feeds the RS150 via Toslink there is no discernable audio difference.

1658180036070.png

I would caution anyone that thinks that cheap does not equal good when it comes to enjoying music.

Roon + Chromecast Audio is a terrific streaming option for anyone who has a "standard" DAC with an optical input. Just a note that the CCA can't go higher than 24/96.

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 39
Of course it's an audiophile solution - it's something that helps someone who loves sound stream music.

I have a HiFi ROSE RS150 which is a very, very expensive streaming capable DAC. When I play a 24/48 stream via Roon into both the RS150 and the CCA, which feeds the RS150 via Toslink there is no discernable audio difference.

1658180036070.png

I would caution anyone that thinks that cheap does not equal good when it comes to enjoying music.

Roon + Chromecast Audio is a terrific streaming option for anyone who has a "standard" DAC with an optical input. Just a note that the CCA can't go higher than 24/96.

Oh....... The Rose is at the top of my 'If i win the Lottery' Purchase list. in the meantime i'll just have fun with Arylic streamers and Raspberry Pi streamers until that day happens (soon please......)

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 39
I've been using an ethernet connected Chromecast Audio -> optical out to HifiMeDiy S2 (ES 9038q2m) as the main/only source in my 2 channel system and have found no reason to upgrade. It's fantastic.

Pioneer Elite SX-A6MKII amp
Pioneer Elite EBS73LR
Soundstyle Z2 stands
Audioquest Pearl ethernet cable
Audioquest Evergreen 3.5mm -> RCA interconnect
Monoprice 12 gauge speaker cable w/ banana plugs

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #20 of 39
I've been using an ethernet connected Chromecast Audio -> optical out to HifiMeDiy S2 (ES 9038q2m) as the main/only source in my 2 channel system and have found no reason to upgrade. It's fantastic.

Pioneer Elite SX-A6MKII amp
Pioneer Elite EBS73LR
Soundstyle Z2 stands
Audioquest Pearl ethernet cable
Audioquest Evergreen 3.5mm -> RCA interconnect
Monoprice 12 gauge speaker cable w/ banana plugs
Yes good solution if you have chromecast but until they release a new one we need a bunch of alternative options. I hear that new hi res chromecast is being talked about.

Currently I have attached my phonostage output to my Arylic analog input, it then digitises it as 16/44.1 and streams it to my other Arylic devices.
Im listening to my vinyl via stream to my Rme ADI-2 fs via Hedd headphones and the quality is very good.

Jan 4, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #21 of 39
No-one has mentioned using an iPhone connected to the DAC via the Apple lightning camera connector and a good USB cable. I like to think that with a similar hardware combination to mine (see signature plus above links) with the refined Tidal/ Qobuz/ Apple Music iOS apps it’s a no brainier - assuming you already have an iPhone of course. Am I missing something? Do I really need a separate streaming transport/ bridge other than for convenience?

Jan 4, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #22 of 39
No-one has mentioned using an iPhone connected to the DAC via the Apple lightning camera connector and a good USB cable. I like to think that with a similar hardware combination to mine (see signature plus above links) with the refined Tidal/ Qobuz/ Apple Music iOS apps it’s a no brainier - assuming you already have an iPhone of course. Am I missing something? Do I really need a separate streaming transport/ bridge other than for convenience?
You can go wireless using Airplay with the Arylic.

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #24 of 39
I use 2 RaspberryPis running Volumio. One of them has a HifiBerry Digi2 Pro and case and cost about $100 for the whole thing. The other has an Allo Kali and Piano and I think cost something like $125 including case and Pi.
If you don't have any technical ability, they're a little intimidating to set up initially, but there's a decent community that can hold your hand if needed... And it's really not that hard to set them up.
Once set up they're mostly pretty stable and dead simple to use. They were a little wonky and would crash or lose connection a few years ago, but those problems seem to be in the past.

I can't imagine paying more than ~$100 for a streamer.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 39
I went with the Allo DigiOne running piCorePlayer. Easy to setup and start streaming. Using the USB out for now but will compare the DigiOne HAT in the future. The GUI isn't the best but passable. Prolly should look at Roon. Anyway, sounds very good and I wasn't willing to spend $$$ (at least for now).

*bought it used as it was cheaper (for now) than buying a RPi 4b board.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #27 of 39
I went with the Allo DigiOne running piCorePlayer. Easy to setup and start streaming. Using the USB out for now but will compare the DigiOne HAT in the future. The GUI isn't the best but passable. Prolly should look at Roon. Anyway, sounds very good and I wasn't willing to spend $$$ (at least for now).
You should be able to use BubbleUPnP for control. That's what I use with myPi3B+ and Volumio (also works with all my other streamers). I believe Bubble only works with Android, but there are other DLNA players available; foobar2000, Kazoo, MConnect, etc., which may suit you, without paying costly and needless fees for Roon.

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #28 of 39
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm on Apple and tried iPeng and gosh it's not better than the web interface (material skin). Okay, it's worse then the web interface. OR I'm doing it wrong.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #29 of 39
I use 2 RaspberryPis running Volumio. One of them has a HifiBerry Digi2 Pro and case and cost about $100 for the whole thing. The other has an Allo Kali and Piano and I think cost something like $125 including case and Pi.
If you don't have any technical ability, they're a little intimidating to set up initially, but there's a decent community that can hold your hand if needed... And it's really not that hard to set them up.
Once set up they're mostly pretty stable and dead simple to use. They were a little wonky and would crash or lose connection a few years ago, but those problems seem to be in the past.

I can't imagine paying more than ~$100 for a streamer.
It's true, Raspberry Pi-based streamers are unrivaled in their price class. Setup is not hard. Most users should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back