Low cost Streamer
Jul 13, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #31 of 39
No-one has mentioned using an iPhone connected to the DAC via the Apple lightning camera connector and a good USB cable. I like to think that with a similar hardware combination to mine (see signature plus above links) with the refined Tidal/ Qobuz/ Apple Music iOS apps it’s a no brainier - assuming you already have an iPhone of course. Am I missing something? Do I really need a separate streaming transport/ bridge other than for convenience?
I am using the camera connector (the old version, not the USB3 one) to connect my iPhone to a iFi iDSD Signature but it seems that using Qobuz app I cannot send 24/192 tracks to the DAC. It’s like they are down sampled to a lower resolution: I can see that from the iDSD led indicator.
Does anybody know why? How to overcome this limitation?

Thanks

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #32 of 39
I am using the camera connector (the old version, not the USB3 one) to connect my iPhone to a iFi iDSD Signature but it seems that using Qobuz app I cannot send 24/192 tracks to the DAC. It’s like they are down sampled to a lower resolution: I can see that from the iDSD led indicator.
Does anybody know why? How to overcome this limitation?

Thanks
Not an expert though looking at this, along with a couple of other historic threads, it suggests the USB version isn’t critical. Can you send 24/192 from another device? Is your camera connector powered separately?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #33 of 39
Not an expert though looking at this, along with a couple of other historic threads, it suggests the USB version isn’t critical. Can you send 24/192 from another device? Is your camera connector powered separately?
Sure, from my computer with Foobar properly configured I am able to stream even higher resolutions such as native DSD directly into the same DAC and the led indicator confirms it. I am just puzzled by the iPhone connection and cannot understand where the bottleneck is. Thanks for any help :wink:

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #34 of 39
The least expensive streamer is the one you already own. For me that's my living room TV and bedroom TV. Both my TV's have optical out and earc HDMI. If I had the option of buying a new streamer and an ok AMP vs a great AMP, I would say get the great AMP. In my opinion a great AMP has less chance of becoming obsolete.

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #35 of 39
Sure, from my computer with Foobar properly configured I am able to stream even higher resolutions such as native DSD directly into the same DAC and the led indicator confirms it. I am just puzzled by the iPhone connection and cannot understand where the bottleneck is. Thanks for any help :wink:
First thing iFi support will ask I bet is have you tried it with a different iPhone/ iPhone Adapter/ USB cable? Not the answer you want I’m sure but if there isn’t an already known issue with the combo it’s a valid question. Rule out the elements in the setup one by one.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #36 of 39
AudioCast made a Chromecast Audio clone. Looks like it is disappearing, too. Maybe that lawsuit suggestion is legit.

Making your own Volumio rig is a cheap alternative, though it requires a bit of DIY spirit/know-how.

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #37 of 39
AudioCast made a Chromecast Audio clone. Looks like it is disappearing, too. Maybe that lawsuit suggestion is legit.

Making your own Volumio rig is a cheap alternative, though it requires a bit of DIY spirit/know-how.
I think AudioCast is based on LinkPlay technology same as WiiM, Arylic, SongBird and Octavia amongst a whole bunch of others. It probably needs updated as WiiM is leading the way in LinkPlay technology and capturing marketshare.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #38 of 39
When it comes to price to Performance i can highly recommend the Wiim Pro ! Good App very versatile and to my ears all the Digital Outputs are sounding clean.

Sep 29, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #39 of 39
I went with the Allo DigiOne running piCorePlayer. Easy to setup and start streaming. Using the USB out for now but will compare the DigiOne HAT in the future. The GUI isn't the best but passable. Prolly should look at Roon. Anyway, sounds very good and I wasn't willing to spend $$$ (at least for now).

*bought it used as it was cheaper (for now) than buying a RPi 4b board.
Since you are using PiCorePlayer with LMS, try to use 2 RPi4Bs, one to run the LMS/Material Skin portion, the other one for connection to your DAC. With good power supply to both units, the sound quality is really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back