Low Budget Alternatives to Beats (yes I just went there)
Nov 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 22

Quote:
The XB700 is bigger than ideal if you are moving around, but I don't think the XB500 is as good even though its smaller.
Maybe you should look into IEMs? I just have never been a fan of traveling with full size circumaural headphones,

I think I'm gonna grab one of those Monoprice 8320s whenever they come out of back order as my go-to pair of IEMs. I do carry around a 15" laptop to (most of) my classes, so I'm not entirely adverse to electronics outside the ultraportable market, but carrying those around with me through the airport or on a road trip would give me pause (now that I think of it, you probably wouldn't even be able to wear those around your neck).

Quote:
Heya,

Shure SRH750 DJ
Panasonic HTF600
AudioTechnica M50
Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone PRO 650

Check 'em.

Very best,

Will do, in the morning. Gotta do prep work and then sleep for my 7:30 lab (bleh). Thanks!

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
Are they light on bass, or are they just average? The latter would be acceptable, while the former would probably strike them off. If they are actually bass-light, do the Shure SRH840s and Sony MDR-ZX700s fix these respective bass problems?

The 440 is average. I had a pair and thought it was very well balanced sound, easy to drive, decent isolation. Folding mechanism doesn't make it smaller though--just helps protect the drivers.
Tried the V6 briefly in a store. Thought they sounded terrible. Jude doesn't go quite as far in his Holiday Gift Guide, but you'll notice he refrains from calling them great headphones. I found the mids a bit recessed, and the sound generally uninvolving.

Sorry I can't advise you on comparison with the Shure 840 or Sony ZX700, never heard them.

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #18 of 22
Low cost semi-open headphones.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads. $70
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) $40

At these prices, you can add a headphone amplifier.
Fiio E7 or E10 are small USB/DAC/Headphone Amplifiers.
Or E11 for something more portable.

Closed Headphones
CALS (Creative Aurvana Live) closed. $90

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #19 of 22
I don't suggest the CAL! or the Panasonic HTF600. You said you wanted high isolation and the HTF600 is effectively a semi-open, not fully closed, headphone. The CAL! is one of the lower isolation closed headphones. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 22
It seems like my options have changed to:

Upper end headphones:

1. Shure SRH750DJ
  2. Ultrasone HFI 580
  3. Ultrasone PRO 650
  4. Audio Technica ATH-M50

Lower end alternatives:

1. Koss PRO DJ100
  2. Prodipe Pro 800

Couple of questions:

• Out of the four upper end headphones, which have the best all-around sound quality?
  • ...are the best for electronica?
  • ...have the best isolation from outside noise?
  • ...have the least sound leakage? (less important than the rest, I suppose :p)
  • And how much of a difference will the upper end headphones be over the lower end alternatives? I don't think I've seen any comments on the PRO DJ100s (which I thought were touted pretty highly for budget cans) or the Prodipe Pro 800s (I forget why they originally made it onto this list but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask..).

Also, if I said I intended on pairing them with a FiiO E6, would that change anything? Should I not be using the AMP at all? (Specifically looking at paired with my Galaxy S here.)

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #21 of 22
Can't believe no one has suggested it, but get to an apple store and check out the V-Moda crossfade LP.  They are the closest in form, function, and accessories to the beats, and can be had for 80-100 around the internet.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #22 of 22
For the 750DJ's they're great for the bassier side of EDM. Dubstep, Drum n Bass, Hardstyle, Hardcore. They're mediocre at Trance, House, and the more uplifting (treble focused) styles. I loved mine to death and they could put out some serious sound and rumbling bass when you got em on the right song. I'd hafta plug em in and take a nice listen to em. Which I plan to do to compare em to the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro's I just bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back