Low Budget Alternatives to Beats (yes I just went there)
Nov 29, 2011 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

aequinox

New Head-Fier
As I'm always the one complaining about people not taking advantage of the immense wealth of information that can be found online, I rarely do anything half-assedly. This comes into specific note with any (relatively significant) online purchases. So, while I've spent a couple days on and off researching headphones, I find the more I look, the more I realize that Studio Beats are exactly the type of thing I am looking for.

They hit all my priority qualifications:

1. Are over the ear (although I could do on-ear, if the cans are exceptional for my budget)
  2. Are very good at isolation
  3. Good sound quality (probably the highest quality cans I've had extensive exposure to - I realize there are scores of better ones out there, but for now I suppose ignorance is bliss)
  4. Nice aesthetics (yes, this is my personal opinion)

Also, they are very portable and can be neatly and tidily packed away (I am always very careful with my stuff).

Now, while that's all and good, I'd rather not spend the $200-300 on them if there are better (and lower cost) alternatives. I'd much rather be in the market for something along the lines of $50-80 headphones, but could go up to ~$100-120 if they catch my fancy.

I listen to:

1. Primarily electronica (EDM, House, Trance)
  2. Hip-Hop (here's where I'll say I enjoy bass - so slightly bass-heavy cans are fine with me. I'm not specifically looking for anything bass-heavy though)
  3. Alternative / Punk Rock

I don't really listen to: Classical, Jazz, Country

I'd be listening to them:

1. On the go from an iPod or Samsung Galaxy (phone)
  2. In my dorm from a Pavilion dv6 laptop (with Beats audio if that makes a difference, never had anything decent enough to tell)
  3. While not sober (just saying, 'cause this is where the isolation really makes the difference)

I have found some possible contenders, but am really at a loss as to where to go from here. What I've looked into are Shure SRH440s, Shure SRH840s, Shure SRH750DJs, Koss PRO DJ100s, Sony MDR-V6s, Sony MDR-ZX700s, Sennheiser HD280s and Prodipe Pro 800s. What am I missing, and/or what would be my best choice?

I do greatly appreciate any and all advice concerning what I should buy. Thanks already for taking the time to read.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 22
Um, everything you said points to the XB700. It's 80 bucks on amazon.

I have it and have had it for a month and I like it. Great bass, and I listen to trance and house with it.

I would recommend uninstalling the Beats audio crap on your dv6 because it will artificially mess up the sound.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 22
Your going to want bass so i recommend the shure srh750dj. Can't comment on the hfi580 as i haven't heard them.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 22
I would also recommend the XB700 (or even the XB500 if you want to save a bit more money). The sound quality is as good (if not better) than Beats, for a fraction of the price. The only problems are that the headphones aren't too portable and are pretty big (due to the pads) and that they might not be too aesthetically pleasing. They are really comfortable though, so that's a plus.

I'm assuming that you're a college kid (given the sober comment)? That being said, they might not be the most portable to bring to the library and such, but I've seen plenty of kids on my campus with the XB500, so they're definitely portable.

Not sure about your computer's Beats Audio -- that might be improved with an external cheap DAC/amp (but I've never heard a computer with the Beats Audio, so I don't know).

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 22
I don't think the shure 840 fit your needs.  They look ugly when worn, are a bit clunky when trying to carry them places, and they are not what I would consider a bass heavy can.  They do isolate well though, but I don't understand the correlation between isolation and sobriety. 
tongue_smile.gif

While I haven't heard the xb series cans I thought of the xb500/700 when I read your post.  Tyll at innerfidelity did a pretty good review on them and I'm sure you can find more impressions/comparisons here on head-fi. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 22

At your budget and the type of music you listen to, I would pick Ultrasone 580. They do wonders for electronica.

So they would be my higher end choices? I've heard many a favourable review for the Shure SRH840s at the same price point - how do they compare?

Quote:
Um, everything you said points to the XB700. It's 80 bucks on amazon.

I have it and have had it for a month and I like it. Great bass, and I listen to trance and house with it.

I would recommend uninstalling the Beats audio crap on your dv6 because it will artificially mess up the sound.

Hah, thanks for the tip about the Beats audio software. I'll get on that. And the XB700s look pretty large, I guess I just don't know how well they'd endure travelling. I suppose I should mention that I'd primarily be using these on the go, as I have a sound system set up in my dorm. If they really are good enough to pass by any shortcomings, though, I shall look into 'em.

I would also recommend the XB700 (or even the XB500 if you want to save a bit more money). The sound quality is as good (if not better) than Beats, for a fraction of the price. The only problems are that the headphones aren't too portable and are pretty big (due to the pads) and that they might not be too aesthetically pleasing. They are really comfortable though, so that's a plus.

I'm assuming that you're a college kid (given the sober comment)? That being said, they might not be the most portable to bring to the library and such, but I've seen plenty of kids on my campus with the XB500, so they're definitely portable.

Not sure about your computer's Beats Audio -- that might be improved with an external cheap DAC/amp (but I've never heard a computer with the Beats Audio, so I don't know).

Yeah, portability seems like the main concern with those. I'd probably be keeping them (safely stored) in my backpack for quick access, and it seems like it would be a bit awkward taking those out on a bus.

Also, yeah, caught red handed on the college kid comment. I really don't drink too often, though, and I wasn't really referring to that anyways. I was just trying to find a nicer way of saying high/tripping (chilling with a pair of full-sized isolation phones, eyes closed, head leaned back is well up there on my scale of nirvana). Again, I don't do it too often, but those moments are the best.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
I don't think the shure 840 fit your needs.  They look ugly when worn, are a bit clunky when trying to carry them places, and they are not what I would consider a bass heavy can.  They do isolate well though, but I don't understand the correlation between isolation and sobriety. 
tongue_smile.gif

While I haven't heard the xb series cans I thought of the xb500/700 when I read your post.  Tyll at innerfidelity did a pretty good review on them and I'm sure you can find more impressions/comparisons here on head-fi. 

Oh, well that's disappointing. And I even thought they looked pretty decent by themselves. Thanks for the pointer on the review though, I'll be sure to check that out.

And as far as isolation goes - it's really just a your own little world thing. I love the feeling when I can close my eyes, lean back, be completely oblivious to my surroundings and let the music take me places.

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 22
If you could stretch your budget to $180 i would recommend the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 22
The XB700 is bigger than ideal if you are moving around, but I don't think the XB500 is as good even though its smaller.

Maybe you should look into IEMs? I just have never been a fan of traveling with full size circumaural headphones,

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I recommend taking Shure 440 and Sony V6 off your list, assuming you want bassy headphones.

Are they light on bass, or are they just average? The latter would be acceptable, while the former would probably strike them off. If they are actually bass-light, do the Shure SRH840s and Sony MDR-ZX700s fix these respective bass problems?

Quote:
Your going to want bass so i recommend the shure srh750dj. Can't comment on the hfi580 as i haven't heard them.

+1 for them, then. How do the 750DJs stack up to the 840s? Are the 840s light on bass, too?

Quote:
If you could stretch your budget to $180 i would recommend the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

I think I decided on my upper limits as they are now, $180 does seem a bit high for the time being. Also, they're on-ear? While I could do on-ear, I think I'd prefer circumaural.

Nov 29, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Are they light on bass, or are they just average? The latter would be acceptable, while the former would probably strike them off. If they are actually bass-light, do the Shure SRH840s and Sony MDR-ZX700s fix these respective bass problems?

+1 for them, then. How do the 750DJs stack up to the 840s? Are the 840s light on bass, too?

I think I decided on my upper limits as they are now, $180 does seem a bit high for the time being. Also, they're on-ear? While I could do on-ear, I think I'd prefer circumaural.

The srh750dj is the srh840 with a little more treble and sub bass. The 840s have plenty of bass but it's in the mid bass area and isn't as well extended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back