Loving the New Macbook Pro and Apple customer service!
Apr 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mark_h

Headphoneus Supremus
I have had this machine for a week or so, it replaced my black Macbook and t60p.

Impressions so far,

keyboard is poor space-bar doesn't work properly!

Lid too heavy and falls shut to easily potential for disaster!

Touch-pad click is so loud!

All small problems but for someone who uses a computer nearly all day every day they get annoying very, very quickly!

It is going back this weekend the space-bar issue is getting silly!

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 17
If the space bar key isn't working properly, I suggest you take it back to the store. I was having trouble with one of the keys on my first Macbook Pro. I took it back and they exchanged it.

Apr 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 17
Yes, take it back to the dealer.
You should expect the space bar to work properly, and the lid to stay open.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 17
clearly you have a unit that needs Apples attention. Just take it back to the nearest Apple store and compare it to another one.

My space bar fits both of my thumbs perfectly, the lid closes with the percision of a swiss watch and the touchpad is completely silent.

My MBP 15 is the finest laptop computer I have ever owned, and that is saying a lot over the last 25 years. Some thinkpads and Vaios were nice, but nothing compared to the current Apple MBP, in my opinion.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 17
smelly? never heard anything about that. i know about bad fan, bad screen, cheap keyboard (even tho the typing tactile feedback is awesome), cheap trackpad. i think mbp and mb are decent but overpriced machines, i had problems with mine and my friend had A LOT of problems with his. thinkpads are probably still better lappies, just that apple lappies have some of those really nice here and theres.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 17
I bought a 15" Macbook Pro a week ago.

My space bar works fine--just as I'd expect it to work.

The click on the track pad is a bit loud, but you can turn on "tap to click" in the trackpad system preferences. I have it turned on, and the mechanical switch is stiff enough that I rarely depress it.

I know what you're talking about regarding the lid, though. If you do a bit of Google searching, you'll find plenty of discussion about this issue. This generation of Pro's use a new hinge design. Some people like it, others do not. If the MacBook is sitting on a level surface like a desk, the hing movement should feel smooth and the screen should stay at the angle at which you set it. If you hold the laptop at an angle, the screen will move. This bugs some people more than others, and it may be that the hinges on some individual MacBooks are looser than others.

Regardless of the angle, the hing should never be loose enough that the lid slams shut because of gravity. If I start with the lid open at a normal angle, then suddenly move the whole laptop so that the body/keyboard section goes from parallel to the floor to perpendicular to the floor, the screen does move alarmingly quickly, but it always stops about five inches from closing. My machine is a 15". The movement may be even more alarming on a 17".

This bothered me a lot at first, but I've gotten used to it after a few days. It's really only a problem if you're laying on your back and want to hold the laptop over yourself. I'm typing this with my new Macbook at about a forty-five degree angle on my knees, and the screen stays where I set it.

I question the hing design, but I'm happy with the machine as a whole.

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 17
Update, I took the macbook back to the apple store where I purchased it, they replaced it there and then, swapped my hard-drive, hey presto everything works fine. Kudos to the apple guys for not making it a drawn out process.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Good to hear it got sorted out. I've heard for the most part, only very good things about Apple Store service, my local one being no exception.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 17
It went

I: The space bar doesn't work?
Apple: OK lets have a look, yes your right, ok what we can do is swap the unit and put your hard drive in the new macbook if you have data on it you want to preserve?
I: Yes thank you. Oh by the way why is there no remote included with the new macbook?
Apple: Probably to get you to spend more money, you can buy them here.
I: Thanks, no.

After booking the appointment the whole process took around 15 minutes.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It went

I: The space bar doesn't work?
Apple: OK lets have a look, yes your right, ok what we can do is swap the unit and put your hard drive in the new macbook if you have data on it you want to preserve?
I: Yes thank you. Oh by the way why is there no remote included with the new macbook?
Apple: Probably to get you to spend more money, you can buy them here.
I: Thanks, no.

After booking the appointment the whole process took around 15 minutes.

Typical. I had a problem with my iBook G4's optical drive- it wouldn't eject CDs. All they did was replace it, but it took several days as iBooks were not made to be opened easily. Decent service, still.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 17
Great to hear that Apple replaced your MacBook Pro without further questions, and that the new one works as expected.
Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back