Loving my w2, does it really need an amp?
Mar 3, 2010 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hentai

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, it seems that w2 is the perfect iem for me which tempts me to consider getting a portable amp for it. Is it really nessary? The W2 sounds fine out of my ipod classic hp output, however I often hear views that its line out sounds better. As a noob in IEM/portable arena, I need you guys' inputs. Thanks.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 10
According to Spyro, the W2 is an excellent IEM unamped, so no, probably not. It might help, but it's not as needed to reach optimum SQ as it is with the W3 and others. I believe he takes the W2 over the W3 when both are unamped, if that gives you any idea.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 10
^ That's what Head-Fi is about. We sometimes/always spend money for a 1% improvement
regular_smile .gif

Hi hentai, so you have a Stax SR007A, and I remember you saying W2 has some similarity in tonality compared to the Stax. It is a nice thing to see how a Stax's lover loving his W2!

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 10
IEMs do not need amps, period.

But you can always benefit from the amp improving the sound and texture of your music in subtle ways (and sometimes not so subtle).

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs do not need amps, period.

But you can always benefit from the amp improving the sound and texture of your music in subtle ways (and sometimes not so subtle).

I beg to differ. Some IEMs I find unlistenable unamped after experiencing their performance when amped. Sure, if you want to stay innocent, IEMs don't need amplification, but to experience some anywhere near their potential, amplification is needed. Amping can make worlds of difference, and I have experienced this first hand.
The RE0 is 64 ohms, and as such, should be amped for the intended sound. Yes, they sound good unamped, but amping makes a large difference. I could run my 600 ohm Sextetts out of an E5, and they might sound good, but they're still underpowered and sound much better out of a proper amp. Underpowered will be underpowered, whether you are fine with it or not, and that is why amping is needed for some IEMs, while not as drastic as my Sextett comparison. Sources also make a difference, as weak sources might need amping more than a powerful source.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 10
Just my 0.02 cents:

The decision to whether or not to buy an amp for any IEM is entirely a matter of budget and preferences. If you're going to spend US$300-US$500 for an amp and the sound quality is going to improve by only 10-20% at best, I think that only means you have the financial capacity to fund such purchase even if the gains aren't that large at first sight.

That's also what's holding me back from saving up money for an amp. I'd rather save my money to get a high-quality DAP and IEM than empty my wallet for a portable amp. I think full-size headphones and high-resistance IEMs (Hifiman RE0 or Etys ER4S) can only take advantage of the additional power portable amps will provide. Otherwise, I think getting an amp is a very cost-inefficient move ASSUMING you really aren't that finicky with what your IEMs are giving you AND you are financially-challenged.

And like what shigzeo had said, if you're already enjoying the music out of your unamped setup, then enjoy it all the more!

biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaibautista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my 0.02 cents:

The decision to whether or not to buy an amp for any IEM is entirely a matter of budget and preferences. If you're going to spend US$300-US$500 for an amp and the sound quality is going to improve by only 10-20% at best, I think that only means you have the financial capacity to fund such purchase even if the gains aren't that large at first sight.

That's also what's holding me back from saving up money for an amp. I'd rather save my money to get a high-quality DAP and IEM than empty my wallet for a portable amp. I think full-size headphones and high-resistance IEMs (Hifiman RE0 or Etys ER4S) can only take advantage of the additional power portable amps will provide. Otherwise, I think getting an amp is a very cost-inefficient move ASSUMING you really aren't that finicky with what your IEMs are giving you AND you are financially-challenged.

And like what shigzeo had said, if you're already enjoying the music out of your unamped setup, then enjoy it all the more!

biggrin.gif

I agree, I find the diminishing returns insane.
When I talk about amps, my experience is with a FiiO E5/E1 and the performance gains with them. My 16 ohm Fischer Audio Silver Bullets greatly benefit from an amp, more than the RE0, so impedance isn't everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back