Loving My New iPod Touch 3G
May 27, 2010 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I got an iPod Touch 64GB 3rd Gen the other day and I am impressed. My first experience with a touch screen was the first generation of the BlackBerry Storm, which completely sucked, IMO. I didn't think I could ever like a touch screen. But this new iPod has a tremendous screen - very easy to interact with and, unlike the Storm, very accurate!

Sound-wise, it is better than my 30GB iPod, to me. The differences are subtle, though apparent. It sounds less lush, yet more accurate and detailed. Does that make sense? I prefer gear to reproduce sound as close to the original as possible. I can always add EQ or effects after the fact.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a great case? I have a hard, clear, plastic case from iSee and it's just ok to me. I'm not really sure what direction I take, though I am leaning towards leather with a screen protector skin on the front. Any thoughts?

May 28, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 27
I have the incipio feather for the 3gs and it's great! Very thin and good quality.

May 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 27
Hi guys - thanks for the suggestions for cases. This thing is becoming addictive.
beerchug.gif

May 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 27
Did you say leather?? http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-form-ltd-edition

I have it, and I must say, Griffin has some of the BEST customer service I have ever seen. I had another case from them that had a thin layer of silicone on the outside, and when it started to wear off, I contacted them and all they asked me to do was destroy the old case (I.E. make it unusable) and they sent a new one via UPS. Just recently, my screen protector started to peel off, so I told them about it and BAM! I had a new one heading right for me.

And honestly, can you get any cooler than white leather?
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 27
Hmm.... i guess the itouch sounds better than the older models. I read somewhere that it uses the same internal amp with cowon d2? still, i find the sq to be a little shrill compared to the nanos...

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 27
It most certainly does not use the same weak amp as the D2. It can fully power low Ω dynamic driver earphones whereas the Cowon D2 loses most of its integrity unless the headphone is around 60Ω-80Ω. That said, the iPod touch isn't perfect. For balanced armature earphones, it is run over by the Fuze, but only in frequency response. It maintains smoother mids (less crosstalk) and less hiss. I like both, but in their original state, the iPod touch is so much better. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 27
No - there have been many posts about this and even a couple (shamefully, I started one long ago) that claimed the EQ is user-adjustable via patching the iTunes presets with your own stuff and re-saving them. Sadly, no, nothing can be changed from the defaults. You can AAC-gain your MP3 and AAC files for use on iPods so that the default EQ's don't clip, but... there is nothing tweakable. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
you know what would be cool, Carbon Fiber case

Did you say Carbon Fiber?? http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elan-form-graphite
wink_face.gif

Also, there is a way you can use custom EQ on iPods. You just have to use iTunes to set up a preset EQ for the song you want to EQ, and from your iPod, you have to set the EQ to "Flat". No patching or hacking needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back