Love my Ultrasone Pro 900s. What next?
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CrimsonTowers

Head-Fier
I'm looking for some cans to compliment my Pro 900s. I love these things to death and they suit many of my listening needs (which mostly include metal). They are hands-down the best set for electronic music so I'm covered there. But I do want another pair of cans for the less bassy metal productions in my library, for my collection of progressive rock (old & new), and the occasional jazz and classical. In addition to these headphones not being the most versatile pair in the world, I do find the highs to be shrill on certain songs, and I do have an issue with sibilance at times. For the most part though, they do a fantastic job. 

I guess I'm looking for another pair of headphones that would take on more of an all-rounder role, while my Pro 900s will mostly cover the types of music that they truly exceed at. Something relatively portable would be ideal. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #5 of 9
So... are you saying you are a treble-head?!? :wink:

Shure SRH940s should well by you. Some people have had problems with durability/reliability but I never had any problems with them. Their mids and highs are sublime (to my ears) and should do well with the other genres you listed. They, of course, lack the big bass from the Ultrasones but I think they Grados you listed perform similarly on the low end (haven't tried those...)

My two favorite all-around performers though are: Sennheiser HD600s (open) and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (closed). Both perform similarly with the MDs having bigger, rounded bass but less sound stage. Both are warm-ish headphones though, so it wouldn't satisfy you if you are really into upper-mids and highs...

Good Luck!

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
So... are you saying you are a treble-head?!? :wink:

Shure SRH940s should well by you. Some people have had problems with durability/reliability but I never had any problems with them. Their mids and highs are sublime (to my ears) and should do well with the other genres you listed. They, of course, lack the big bass from the Ultrasones but I think they Grados you listed perform similarly on the low end (haven't tried those...)

My two favorite all-around performers though are: Sennheiser HD600s (open) and MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (closed). Both perform similarly with the MDs having bigger, rounded bass but less sound stage. Both are warm-ish headphones though, so it wouldn't satisfy you if you are really into upper-mids and highs...

Good Luck!

More of basshead if anything. I definitely don't want a pair that's lacking in bass and to be honest, the 600s really are (not as in recessed, just incredibly neutral). 

I don't need Ultrasone level bass because I already have that, obviously. 
L3000.gif
 I'm looking for something maybe more balanced than Ultrasones/more pronounced in the mid range, but again, I still want a bass that's tight and punchy, if that makes sense?

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I asked because of the couple of Grados I've tried, they had less quantity/quality bass than even the HD600s...

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs should be a good option.
Maybe look into SoundMagic HP100, Sony MDR-1R, V-Moda M80, Audio Technica ATH-A900X or WS99, etc. Most, if not all, of these should provide good midrange and highs without lacking too much bass...

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Well, I asked because of the couple of Grados I've tried, they had less quantity/quality bass than even the HD600s...

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs should be a good option.
Maybe look into SoundMagic HP100, Sony MDR-1R, V-Moda M80, Audio Technica ATH-A900X or WS99, etc. Most, if not all, of these should provide good midrange and highs without lacking too much bass...

Really? I definitely didn't feel like the Grados had even less bass than the 600s. Granted, I auditioned them close to a year back so I could be wrong.

And thanks for those recs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back