Love my Scout! Now I need a cleaning machine!
Aug 3, 2004 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

cpw

Headphoneus Supremus
Todd,
I finally got my Scout set up and it's great.
Unfortunately all my older vinyl now sounds like crap as I hear things the MMF5 didn't bring out.
I fear I need a cleaning machine now.
I came to this site a few months ago for a portable headphone amp and here's what I've bought since:
Headroom TBH
PPX3
HR-2
Meridian 508.20
PHilips 963a
Von Schweikert VR1
Plateau stands
HD600
HD650
ER4P/S
CD3K (on the way)
Music Hall MMF5
VPI Scout/Grado Platinum
Solus Rack
Headphone rig cabinet
Banana Hanger
About 40 LPs
About 50 CDs

Why do I think it won't stop w/ a record cleaning machine?!
Somebody help me!
CPW

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 35
In my opinion, a quality record vacuum is essential. Actually my sequence of events was the opposite of you. My wife bought me a VPI 16.5 for father's day, at that point I decided that a table upgrade was in order. Not only have I discovered two great used record stores locally, I have also discovered the sonic bliss of true audiophile quality vinyl. I just purchased two Japanese pressings from Audiogon, the Beatles White album (not the Toshiba EMI pressings, and a Creedence Clearwater Revival two album set). They were not cheap.

Ain't vinyl incredible....
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Todd,
Unfortunately all my older vinyl now sounds like crap as I hear things the MMF5 didn't bring out.
I came to this site a few months ago for a portable headphone amp and here's what I've bought since:
Headroom TBH
PPX3
HR-2
Meridian 508.20
PHilips 963a
Von Schweikert VR1
Plateau stands
HD600
HD650
ER4P/S
CD3K (on the way)
Music Hall MMF5
VPI Scout/Grado Platinum
Solus Rack
Headphone rig cabinet
Banana Hanger
About 40 LPs
About 50 CDs

Somebody help me!
CPW

Holy Smokes! You can't be married or you got a wife like mine
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 35
See my signature: Team Covert Upgrade!!!
I am married but, unlike you Tuberoller, my wife has less than no interest in my audio hobby. I have so much sh%t laying around that alot of this stuff just comes in under the radar. Most of it she could care less about anyway. All the bills get paid and no one's going hungry so she really doesn't care too much. Much of this stuff came in as part of a bigger home office/ music room makeover that created some order from incredible chaos (pictures to follow in a few weeks when it's all done). I think she was so happy to see the room cleaned up that she either assumed all that stuff was already in there under the rubble or just didn't care.
Really, the 963a, HD650 and PPX3 were the only things she didn't know about that still haven't registered. Not even a comment about the Solus rack!!
I sold a bunch of guitar equipment and some fancy optical (Nikon) glass to finance most of this stuff.
Why did I ever come here!!!
CPW
edit:
PS. I counted and only 37 CDs, 29 LPs (9 in the mail) since I came here. That's not so bad, right?

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 35
HI cpw,

Wow! Thats a lot of new gear. It does look like all you really need is a record cleaner. Give me a call. The VPI 16.5 is in stock and the 17 can be had with a short wait.

Todd

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 35
I'll put my vote in for the Disc Doctor fluid and brushes. Manual cleaning is faster when practiced and can achieve results as good as the VPI 16.5 or Nitty Gritty 1.0. It helps that it's cheaper but not that Todd doesn't sell it.

NGF

Aug 5, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 35
Hey CPW, care to share any details on the changes from the MMF-5 to the Scout? The MMF-5 has now won me over to vinyl, but I'm itching to upgrade.

Aug 6, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 35
HTML Code:

Code:
[left]Hey CPW, care to share any details on the changes from the MMF-5 to the Scout? The MMF-5 has now won me over to vinyl, but I'm itching to upgrade.[/left]

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask this question as I had the MMF5 for a very short time. It was good enough to get me back into vinyl as well though I dont think the stock Goldring is a fair comparison to the Grado Platinum I have now. I didn't give it much of a chance (a few weeks) then I had the chance to get almost all my money out of it and I went for the upgrade. The VPI sounds better but I'm hearing lots of imperfections in the vinyl now. The Scout tone arm is more susceptible to vibrations from my floor but part of that may be the new Solus rack as well.
The VPI was just way too sexy to pass up.
There are probably others who can give you a better comparison but I don't think there's any way you'd be disappointed w/ the Scout.
If you decide to get one, give Todd a chance. He'll give a fair deal.
=CPW=

Aug 22, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 35
I received my VPI HW-17 from Todd about a week ago but have just today set it up. I had space constraints and still do (the machine is in a temporary location).

However, I can echo what JMT, joelongwood, tube, and others have said on these forums: This is the biggest difference maker I've heard with my vinyl collection.

I'm currently using:

Rega P3 TT
Benz Micro Glider M2 cartridge
EAR 834P phono stage

The VPI HW-17 cleaning machine make's all the difference in the world...

I'm now listening to a heavy vinyl copy of Sarah Vaughan's The Lonely Hours that I've never been able to rid of the pops and ticks....

Now, it sounds near pristine. I'm in shock mode...

cool.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
Todd,
Headroom TBH
PPX3
HR-2
Meridian 508.20
PHilips 963a
Von Schweikert VR1
Plateau stands
HD600
HD650
ER4P/S
CD3K (on the way)
Music Hall MMF5
VPI Scout/Grado Platinum
Solus Rack
Headphone rig cabinet
Banana Hanger
About 40 LPs
About 50 CDs

Somebody help me!
CPW

CPW if you stop buying high end gear and start buying more music I think you will be happier.

90 albums and so much money spent on gear sounds strange.

Aug 23, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
CPW if you stop buying high end gear and start buying more music I think you will be happier.

90 albums and so much money spent on gear sounds strange.

What can I say. I'm a gear whoor! I think the SACMODS package on the 963a, a subwoofer and a record cleaning machine will put this system at rest for quite some time.
I am really enjoying vinyl hunting but used records make the need for a clening machine ever more apparent.
CPW

Aug 24, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by marios_mar
Just out of curiosity can you please comment quickly and compare the 963 modded and the Meridian?

I am really interested in hearing about this.

I haven't yet modded the 963a so I can't comment. If it sounds as good as the Meridian, I'll be ecstatic. I really haven't heard any source I thought was better. I just haven't heard that many high-end cdps. I'm sure the new Meridians, Wadia, etc. are great, I've just never had the opportunity.

Maybe some others who've heard the SACDMODS 963a can help here. I'm planning to do it just based on what I've read.
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back