LOVE my new Headroom Micro DAC
Dec 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lwells

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All, This is my first real post.

I have always loved my SE530's. Today, added a Headroom Micro DAC to my setup and WOW, I love my SE530's so much more now. It no longer feels like the sound it originating from the IEM.

In the past, they have almost made me feel 'claustrophobic'. I have even been looking at a set of MD2000's (which I still might pull the trigger on). But WOW what a difference this DAC made.

DSCF2496.jpg

My listening station.

DSCF2502.jpg

I apologize for my excited rambling.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apology accepted.
darthsmile.gif

What was your source for the Micro Amp prior to the new DAC?

My source was either My Zune HD, Sansa clip or the HT Omega Strike in my desktop.

Did you know the dock station on the Zune HD has an optical output?
smily_headphones1.gif
popcorn.gif

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source was either My Zune HD, Sansa clip or the HT Omega Strike in my desktop.

Did you know the dock station on the Zune HD has an optical output?
smily_headphones1.gif
popcorn.gif

>No!perfect little combo then.

I was looking for a good deal on a Micro DAC not long ago...to pair with my Micro Amp...2006 model, second time owning one. I found a new V-DAC for $250 so I snagged it.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 16
nice rig, lwells ! The HeadRoom gear probably isnt seen as 'sexy' by many Head-Fiers with so many new amps on the market, but it has a solid reputation - I hope you enjoy it.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Nice! Should be great fun and musical enjoyment.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 16
i love my Headroom setup....the micro DAC is very hard to beat in its price range. Bask in your Headroom glory.....and yes, im a headroom fan boy =)

here is a shot at the meet this weekend. i have a pair of RS1 and a pair of 650s, but traded the RS1 for a pair of HF2 for a while. Selling the 650s to build a starter stax rig.

IMG_0272.jpg

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Hello All, This is my first real post.

I have always loved my SE530's. Today, added a Headroom Micro DAC to my setup and WOW, I love my SE530's so much more now. It no longer feels like the sound it originating from the IEM.

In the past, they have almost made me feel 'claustrophobic'. I have even been looking at a set of MD2000's (which I still might pull the trigger on). But WOW what a difference this DAC made.

DSCF2496.jpg

My listening station.

DSCF2502.jpg

I apologize for my excited rambling.

that headroom micro dac did really tied the room together, did it not?

Fn A

lol
but seriously nice setup

im thinkin about tryin the se530 pth have you compared them to the triplefi?

do they have more bass,,,, do they fit like westones 3, because they look similar?

what gain you rock the micro when using the shure iem?

TallyHo!

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what gain you rock the micro when using the shure iem?

TallyHo!

It doesn't need anything more than the low gain
smily_headphones1.gif
The SE530's are really sensitive.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey lwells
How do you find your Bose Companion 2s compared to your SE530s?

I don't know that you can really compare the two :shrug:

I can say though, the bose companion 2's are decent computer speakers. But when you feed them 24/192 through the microstacks line out, they are pretty freakin' sweet. They are incredibly detailed... very analytical. I guess that makes them a good match for the Microstack.

To be honest, I am no bose fan. I actually enjoy going into the bose store and giving the sales guys are hard time. But, for a set of computer speakers, they are pretty terrific.

I'm just a college student. I have not had/watched a TV in at least five years. My computer is my psuedo-entertainment center. The Bose, more than, keep me entertained in the sound department when I am not listening to my SE530's.

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im thinkin about tryin the se530 pth have you compared them to the triplefi?

I have never tried the triple.fi's but I've had many many sets of super.fi5 EB's.

I had many because they were ALWAYS breaking. In fact, logitech/U.E. sent me a free set of super.fi.4's as an apology!

The 5 EB's are actually quite nice, but they were so fragile. I use the SE530's all day long every day. I'm not afraid they are going to break and they are comfortable. That is honestly the main reason they are still around. I can feel the rolled off highs. But I get to use them 24/7 instead of every third week because I have to send them in for repairs.

The Super.fi's do not fit me nearly as well as the Shures.

I hear great things about the Westones!

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I don't know that you can really compare the two :shrug:

I can say though, the bose companion 2's are decent computer speakers. But when you feed them 24/192 through the microstacks line out, they are pretty freakin' sweet. They are incredibly detailed... very analytical. I guess that makes them a good match for the Microstack.

To be honest, I am no bose fan. I actually enjoy going into the bose store and giving the sales guys are hard time. But, for a set of computer speakers, they are pretty terrific.

I'm just a college student. I have not had/watched a TV in at least five years. My computer is my psuedo-entertainment center. The Bose, more than, keep me entertained in the sound department when I am not listening to my SE530's.

Cool! They are the only Bose product that impressed me as well. Never bought them though.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! They are the only Bose product that impressed me as well. Never bought them though.

Oh, these are actually companion 3's though.

They sell a companion 5 that has a built in dac (pulls USB audio).

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #15 of 16
Well... My roommate bought a Companion 5 for $399. I bought a 5.1 setup: Infinity Home Theater Pack II 5.0 + a Infinity PS28 subwoofer for total of $495 (new, sealed). Comparison? Don't even ask lol. The Bose sounds ridiculous poor and is ridiculous overpriced compared to my Infinity.

After all the Companion 5 is still a computer speaker and I don't listen to music out of it. For movie or gaming, it does it job (not well tho). At the same time I can spend hours enjoy music coming out of my 2 Infinity bookshelves and 8" subwoofer and a Denon AVR-589. They sound gorgeous especially at low and upper mid plus lively vocal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back