Loud humming sound when turning on my WA6 - normal?
Jun 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it's not that loud, but it's a normal-noise hum with a few tiny crackles, and it quickly fades away within a few seconds. I can hear this only through my headphones (Koss KSC75). This is regardless if there's anything connected to it; even alone it does this when turned on, and this is with the volume knob turned down to zero.

I'm assuming this is just the sound of the tube(s) warming up? Right now I'm using the huge bulbous one in the back, and a pair of RCA 6DE7 tubes in the front.

Or could it be the power cord as well? I'm using a generic one I found in my spare computer box, since this used WA6 didn't come with one. But I highly doubt it's contributing to this.

Either way, my Little Dot MK IV SE never did this,so I'm just curious about this.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 11
Unless it's really loud, I wouldn't worry about it. I get a little noise when I first turn some of my tube amps on that goes away in a few seconds. No biggie.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 11
x2.... noise then all is well soon after that.

Cheers,

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 11
Sweet, thanks a lot everybody.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 11
It's normal, not to worry, as stated above.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd recommend you have your gain control set to its minimum value when you turn on the WA6. You wouldn't have an amp connected to speakers cranked up when you first turn it on, and it's my practice to follow the same procedure when turning on a HP amp. Turn on, give it (at least) a few seconds to warm up, then advance the gain (or de-attenuate, as the case may be).

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 11
Yep I got that hum when I had that amp TMM
tongue.gif
It faded mostly after the tubes warmed up a bit but there was still a slight hum with lower impedance cans. With higher impedance cans it would be dead silent. I never did try using a really good power cord with that WA6 because I didn't have any. For my Supra XLR it did help lower noise caused by bad AC in my room though so who knows.

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 11
My wa6 also hums slightly when powered on for 5 seconds or so. I think the source is the rectifier tube warming up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back