Lou Reed talks about the crappy SQ of mp3's
Mar 18, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #61 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Lou is reading this thread and shaking his head.
tongue.gif

...oh wait, I still haven't read the article so please don't throw rotten food at me.

touche. Now I wish I hadn't read the article, given how this thread has developed.

Actually, I think the debacle here is mostly the fault of the idiot at Reuters who wrote and titled the article without concern for what Reed was saying or for the fact that there are people who actually care about digital audio quality.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #62 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also agree, and not only from a financial standpoint. The point of an MP3 player is portability, and I find the 160GB iPod just too big to carry comfortably when I also have a smartphone, wallet, and a keychain with 10 keys and a fob for my car. Something like a Nano is absolutely worth sacrificing storage for physical size, but with 8GB there is little room for lossless files.

Size isn't that big of an issue for me, because the size of the 160 gig is supposedly a tad thicker than the 5.5 gen 30 gig.

BTW: Saying that 50,000,000 people are ignorant is ignorant.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #63 of 65
there was a similar article in a Stereophile(or some such) about 1 million years ago wherein Neil Young complained about the sound quality of CD vs Vinyl. Neither Neil or Lou is wrong, imo, but you can't stop the inevitable march of progress (read; convenience)......sigh
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #64 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Size isn't that big of an issue for me...

That's what she said
eek.gif

biggrin.gif
but seriously folks...

There have been some good points made...some. My use of mp3(high quality VBR) is mainly for in my noisy Super Duty F-350 which isn't a very good place to listen even with decent Eclipse components. I also use these files with my iAudio 7 or 1G shuffle at the gym, also not an environment for serious listening.

At home with my low-end B&W speakers and headphones I listen to CD's, SACD's & DVD-A. I can hear the difference up to 192 sometimes but I can't claim that with 245~320. 128 often sounds bad, no big surprise right.

I like the point that was made about preferring a good 320 rip of a well produced CD as opposed to lossless from a bad master. I have several examples of this in my collection.

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #65 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what she said
eek.gif

biggrin.gif
but seriously folks...

There have been some good points made...some. My use of mp3(high quality VBR) is mainly for in my noisy Super Duty F-350 which isn't a very good place to listen even with decent Eclipse components. I also use these files with my iAudio 7 or 1G shuffle at the gym, also not an environment for serious listening.

At home with my low-end B&W speakers and headphones I listen to CD's, SACD's & DVD-A. I can hear the difference up to 192 sometimes but I can't claim that with 245~320. 128 often sounds bad, no big surprise right.

I like the point that was made about preferring a good 320 rip of a well produced CD as opposed to lossless from a bad master. I have several examples of this in my collection.

lol that's like my favorite quote of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back